• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aldridge Road .

That's interesting Eric. There's, what looks like, an electricity sub-station there now. Wonder if it's connected in any way ? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 22
That's Sutton Park Alan, opposite the Parson & Clark pub Streetly, at the junction with Chester Road, I worked at the garage 1950/51 just a short way from there, used to watch the red squirrels running along the Sutton Park fence while serving 'pool' petrol for 1/11d a gallon. :)

Aldridge Road by Perry Barr Park Entrance. Unfortunately no date for the photo but obviously early. Church Road on the left and maybe the Old Boars Head Pub in the distance. Large telephone pole in the pic ...
AldridgeRdPerryBarrPark.jpg

A Harpers bus on the Aldridge Road ... but this is the Aldridge Road in Streetly and is about a mile east of the Aldridge Road, Birmingham. The building on the left behind the bus is what was commonly known as a 'Tin Tabernacle' and is still there today but is currently occupied by a small printing company.
View attachment 119856
These old buses remind me of the 5.18 pm dash out side GEC Witton works a number of harpers buses used to transport workers from the Staffordshire Area

Sorry, I am doing this all wrong due to my limited IT skills. This is about wacadon dairies King standing branch. I do have more and am working on how to add them

Attachments

• wacadon 1.jpeg
    wacadon 1.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 22
A Harpers bus on the Aldridge Road ... but this is the Aldridge Road in Streetly and is about a mile east of the Aldridge Road, Birmingham. The building on the left behind the bus is what was commonly known as a 'Tin Tabernacle' and is still there today but is currently occupied by a small printing company.
View attachment 119856
Hello. I used to live in Crowsnest Dairy in Aldridge Rd Streetly in the 1950's. It was right opposite the Printing works. (it may have still been the tin tabernacle at that time. I lived there until I was 7 years old) We also lived in Foley Rd West. I used to catch the Harpers bus to school in Bloxwich in the early 60's Sorry if I have answered in the wrong place

Nice pic, OM. I live very nearby and know the old 'tin tabernacle' very well. The land at the extreme left of the photo is now flattened out and is farm land (oil-seed rape, great for my hay-fever, I don't think). To the right of the photo, and not visible, would have been the old BIP factory. That bus looks like it's on its last legs....

G
I also lived close by, in Maxholm Road from around 1953 to 1970's , used the Harpers buses a lot, got a job in the city centre 1964 and used this bus to get me to Kingstanding. Growing up in Streetly, we used to sing at the tops of our voices as the conductor came round "You'll never get to heaven on a Harper's bus, cuz a Harper's bus, it never guz!", Happy days.

great to have feed back about Aldridge rd. I left there when I was about 7 (1953....dont tell anyone!!) I (with my elder brother) used to walk from Kingstanding (we caught the bluebird bus) to Maryvale school, old Oscott Hill. It was a Roman Catholic school and I remember the little chapel and a teacher called Mrs or Miss Shearan along with Mrs Anderson/Anderton am Mrs Egan ( I was friendly with her daughter Elizabeth and went to a party at their house in Birchfield Rd) I was later to be a hairdresser at Maison Celeste on Birchfield Rd (in the 1960's) A lovely salon. we used to do back combing and beaufont hairstyles.......Mr Peter, Mr Michael, Miss Margery, (yes spelt like that) Miss Lousie, Miss Julie, Miss Pamela and many more.....of course I was a junior....Miss Barbara The owners were Mr and Mrs Holmes.........I hope I havent written this up before!!

Back