• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Zig Zag Bridge Packhorse Bridge Aldridge Road

Salisbury Transmission also had a depot built i think late 60s-early 70s on the corner of OLd Bromford Lane this has since been demolished and is now a housing estate.

I,m trying also to recall when the new bridge was built on the Old Walsall Rd i think it was early 70s maybe 71-72 Dek

Oldmohawk thats jogged the memory i remember that the pedestrian underpass completely disappeared by Tuckers. Dek

The Thame flooded the road under the railway bridge in Witton in about '52/3. We kids heard about it and all went off to have a look, putting on our Wellies. Nothing could pass and the police gave us athe thumbs down when we wanted a paddle.

Which bridge in Hamstead is new? I know the canal bridge, I was born almost under it, and the railway road bridge near the Beaufort but I can't think of another.

(Phil, you must have enjoyed being at Magdalene, it's almost like stepping back into a different world behind some of the college doors. Imagine a drinks party on a lovely summer evening, in the Master's garden.)

Which bridge in Hamstead is new?
Di - Here, (thanks to Google Street Cam) is the new bridge and old bridge to the right of it.
Phil

New_Bridge.JPG

Old_Hamstead_Rd_thread.JPG

Last edited:
bbb.jpeg
This was a floodgate on the River Tame at Perry Mill Farm in 1897.

A photo from 1906 of the Aldridge Road/Zig Zag Bridge. Nice to see it's still there. The modern screenshot shows, I think, where the man is sitting on the wall in the 1906 photo (i.e. just behind the later bridge). Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335475577.279075.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335475602.417927.jpg

I agree Viv, I seem to recall a car crashing into it and causing damage within the last ten or fifteen years or so. Here's another picture for your delectation...

s-l1600.jpg

Taken from the listing at Historic England

ALDRIDGE ROAD 1. 5104 Perry Bar B42 Perry Bridge (formerly listed as Packhorse Bridge) SP 09 SE 3/1 25.4.52 II 2. "C18 refurbishing of a medieval bridge. Stone, four segmental arches 2 of them over the River Tame and the outer 2 over the paths either side of the river. Three cutwaters, one in the middle of the river and one at either bank and further cutwaters on the causeway continuation of the bridge on the north bank.

That’s cleared up a question I had about this Bridge. I couldn’t imagine it was always called the ZigZag Bridge - I think it was a term which started in use in the 1700s. Another question: did it have the passing places when it was Packhorse Bridge ?

I’ve added the name to the title of this thread for future references/searches. Viv.

That’s cleared up a question I had about this Bridge. I couldn’t imagine it was always called the ZigZag Bridge - I think it was a term which started in use in the 1700s. Another question: did it have the passing places when it was Packhorse Bridge ?

I’ve added the name to the title of this thread for future references/searches. Viv.
Yes this was to allow the pedestrians a refuge when a cart came past.

Back