• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alderlea Secondary School

Alderlea Secondary Modern.Thats where I went along with Jeff Lynne (ELO) and Paul Smith AKA Paul Henry (Benny, Crossroads).

The school badge.
Don’t suppose you have a photo of your class with teacher John hall? (Aka Froggy I believe?). There used to be one on friends reunited but the site has been taken down now.

View attachment 85635
Another photo of Alderlea Teachers,July 1967.
Some of these faces still give me the eebie jeebies !
Hello all just came across this picture of the Alderlea Teachers, July 1967. I seem to rember a few names so here goes.
Middle row 2nd from the left I think was Mr Williams a science teacher.
Bottom row 3rd from the left I think was Mr Tipton a history teacher
Middle row again 3rd from the right I think was Mr Beach a music teacher, he had the nickname of ( The Bearded Dotted Crotchet ) hehe.
Middle row 5th from the right I think was Mr Davies our form teacher, he taught us how to do sign language which I still know to this day.
Top row 1st on the left I think was Mr Botterly a wood work teacher.
I do recognize some other faces but can not put names to them. By the way we had a Davenport in our class at the time are you he, I was in 3B1 at the time. as for the eebie jeebies your right there. Just remembered Mr Denis was the PE teacher I think. Hope I sleep tonight lol.
Thanks for the post, Kind regards Charles Gough

Hello all just came across this picture of the Alderlea Teachers, July 1967. I seem to rember a few names so here goes.
Middle row again 3rd from the right I think was Mr Beach a music teacher, he had the nickname of ( The Bearded Dotted Crotchet ) hehe.
Middle row 5th from the right I think was Mr Davies our form teacher, he taught us how to do sign language which I still know to this day.
I do recognize some other faces but can not put names to them. By the way we had a Davenport in our class at the time are you he, I was in 3B1 at the time. as for the eebie jeebies your right there. Just remembered Mr Denis was the PE teacher I think. Hope I sleep tonight lol.
Hi Charles, Yes I’m he ! Sorry but at moment cannot remember you ,can’t believe it’s 50 years ago.
John Bishop made contact apparently we sat next to each other in class......couldn’t remember him either! Regards Clive.

Hello Clive
Thank you for the reply, it is a long time ago hehe. John Bishop does ring a bell I seem to remember you sitting together by the windows in music lessons. Anyway nice to know you are ok who knows what else will crop up on here lol.
Kind regards, Charles

Hello Clive
Thank you for the reply, it is a long time ago hehe. John Bishop does ring a bell I seem to remember you sitting together by the windows in music lessons. Anyway nice to know you are ok who knows what else will crop up on here lol.
Kind regards, Charles
i went to night school there. i remember the metalwork teacher. mr graham

i went to night school there. i remember the metalwork teacher. mr graham
Hello Pete
That's correct Mr Graham was our metal work teacher. He showed us how to use a coke furness to heat metal then bash the heck out of it. We also melted aluminium to make a screwdrivers in a mould, I do not think they would do this in schools today. I think some kids would love that hands on stuff to create things, I know I did.
Kind regards, Charles G

Welcome Polemaster. I have moved your post to this thread which may also be of interest to you. Viv.

Hi. My name is Paul McKenna (no, not that one). I was a pupil at Alderlea between 1975-1980. I am trying to find details about two of the teachers who taught there during that time - Frank Higgins, an English teacher, and D Evans, an art teacher. Does anyone remember them/know if they are still alive/have their contact details?
Nice photo of the 1967 teachers. I recognize Mr. Botterley (I thought it was Bottley?). And the Mr Higgins and Mr Evans I'm asking about, it could be that they are the ones 3rd and 2nd from right in the middle row, in their earlier incarnations. Frank Higgins, if that is him 3rd from right, had put on quite a bit of weight by 1975. I remember he always wore white and light blue pinstripe shirts with white collars.

Hi. My name is Paul McKenna (no, not that one). I was a pupil at Alderlea between 1975-1980. I am trying to find details about two of the teachers who taught there during that time - Frank Higgins, an English teacher, and D Evans, an art teacher. Does anyone remember them/know if they are still alive/have their contact details?
Nice photo of the 1967 teachers. I recognize Mr. Botterley (I thought it was Bottley?). And the Mr Higgins and Mr Evans I'm asking about, it could be that they are the ones 3rd and 2nd from right in the middle row, in their earlier incarnations. Frank Higgins, if that is him 3rd from right, had put on quite a bit of weight by 1975. I remember he always wore white and light blue pinstripe shirts with white collars.
I was at Alderlea around 1970 to 1974. Afraid my form gave Mr Evans a bad time. Then one day he sat me down and sketched my portrait, an excellent likeness, which I have to this day. From that day I had an enormous respect for Mr Evans. Mr Botterley, sorry I don't know the correct spelling either, I remember as a very nice teacher. Best one of all though was Mr Gardener.

Hi Charles and everyone else.

I am Mr. Bleach's son. Unfortunately, he sadly died earlier this month and I was fishing around here to see if there was any evidence behind the family myth that he was Jeff Lynne's Choir Master. It made me chuckle to hear he had a nickname. I'm not sure if it was an affectionate one or not :) but it has made me smile anyway. Thank you for posting.

Just to correct your photo ID - my Dad (Mr. Bleach with an 'L') was on the right of the back row.

Hi Charles and everyone else.

I am Mr. Bleach's son. Unfortunately, he sadly died earlier this month and I was fishing around here to see if there was any evidence behind the family myth that he was Jeff Lynne's Choir Master. It made me chuckle to hear he had a nickname. I'm not sure if it was an affectionate one or not :) but it has made me smile anyway. Thank you for posting.

Just to correct your photo ID - my Dad (Mr. Bleach with an 'L') was on the right of the back row.
Sorry to hear this,Mr Bleach taught me music.
I remember he ‘volunteered’ me to sing in Alderlea choir that joined other schools in a concert at Birmingham town hall. It was Bizet Carmen c.1966.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this,Mr Bleach taught me music.
I remember he ‘volunteered’ me to sing in Alderlea choir that joined other schools in a concert at Birmingham town hall. It was Bizet Carmen c.1966.
Thanks for sharing this. I'm sure my Dad recognised your talent! :)

Back