• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alderlea Secondary School

Hi Charles and everyone else.

I am Mr. Bleach's son. Unfortunately, he sadly died earlier this month and I was fishing around here to see if there was any evidence behind the family myth that he was Jeff Lynne's Choir Master. It made me chuckle to hear he had a nickname. I'm not sure if it was an affectionate one or not :) but it has made me smile anyway. Thank you for posting.

Just to correct your photo ID - my Dad (Mr. Bleach with an 'L') was on the right of the back row.
Hello A Bleach.
Sorry to here about your dad passing, He did have that nick name you know but it was in good fun. He used to teach us music notes by clapping our hands to the note and the length of the note was the timed pause with our hands together doing the beat. On some days we did not quite get it right and he got a bit frustrated with us ( crotchety ) lol. His favourite question to us was ( what is this note )........ eerr a doted crotchet sir, very good ! was his reply. That is how his nick name came about together with the beard.
I remember him coming in some days to play music on a record player. It was usually classical but on that day it was ( A Whiter Shade of Pale ) Procol Harum and ( Penny Lane ) by The Beatles 1967. When ever I hear those two songs come on the radio I think of Mr Bleach and how good it was to play our pop music, he was ok!
I also got enlisted to sing at the town hall with him. Are well, I hope this little snippet brings a smile at this moment in time, thanks for the memories .

Kind regards Charles G

Hello ABleach and condolences to you and your family. Would be wonderful to prove the myth of your father being Jeff Lynne’s choirmaster. Hopefully members and former pupils, especially those who may have been choir members, will help with this if they can. A photo of Jeff Lynne’s form in 1961 is in post #19.

Viv.

Last edited:
Hello ABleach and condolences to you and your family. Would be wonderful to prove the myth of your father being Jeff Lynne’s choirmaster. Hopefully members and former pupils, especially those who may have been choir members, will help with this if they can. A photo of Jeff Lynne’s form in 1961 is in post #19.

Viv.
Thank you so much Viv.

I have read somewhere that Jeff was in the Choir - and I believe the Choir was Dad's responsibility at the time Jeff was at the school - so it seems logical. It would be nice to confirm it from a primary source though.

I have heard Jeff in interviews cite his own father as his musical inspiration but it's nice to dream that perhaps my Dad helped Jeff build the muscle memory that later enabled him to create all of those wonderful harmonies and vocals.

I'd love to hear from anyone with memories of that period.

Thanks.

Andy

Hello A Bleach.
Sorry to here about your dad passing, He did have that nick name you know but it was in good fun. He used to teach us music notes by clapping our hands to the note and the length of the note was the timed pause with our hands together doing the beat. On some days we did not quite get it right and he got a bit frustrated with us ( crotchety ) lol. His favourite question to us was ( what is this note )........ eerr a doted crotchet sir, very good ! was his reply. That is how his nick name came about together with the beard.
I remember him coming in some days to play music on a record player. It was usually classical but on that day it was ( A Whiter Shade of Pale ) Procol Harum and ( Penny Lane ) by The Beatles 1967. When ever I hear those two songs come on the radio I think of Mr Bleach and how good it was to play our pop music, he was ok!
I also got enlisted to sing at the town hall with him. Are well, I hope this little snippet brings a smile at this moment in time, thanks for the memories .

Kind regards Charles G
Thanks so much Charles for your extended memories. Would you be willing for me to include them in the short bio we are putting together for him?

Thanks so much Charles for your extended memories. Would you be willing for me to include them in the short bio we are putting together for him?
Hello A Bleach, That would be fine, thank you for including me and to let me tell a tale from all those years ago.
Kind regards, Charles G

Hello Pete
That's correct Mr Graham was our metal work teacher. He showed us how to use a coke furness to heat metal then bash the heck out of it. We also melted aluminium to make a screwdrivers in a mould, I do not think they would do this in schools today. I think some kids would love that hands on stuff to create things, I know I did.
Kind regards, Charles G
I went to Alderlea from 1966 to 1968 and I remember those 2 years very well. My class mate and friend was a guy named Pete Millechamp. Our first lessons on Monday morning was double metalwork Mr Graham and without fail the head boy would call for me and my mate to see Mr Reeve for 6 of the best for last weeks pranks. By the way the only thing I ever made in metalwork was a master key to all the doors and I locked in some painters who were decorating the school at the time. I played in the school basket ball team and remember the teacher taking the team in his very small car to our away matches. Alderlea was a great school and I remember it with great fondness but unfortunately just as I was about to take my GSE,s my mom moved us away from the area. In the middle 60's I enjoyed Shard End but when I read about the area now I am it seems very sad to see it in decline.

Hi Everyone it has took me a while to find this i was at Alderlea Boys from 1977 to 1981 where i left at Easter that year. Dose any one know or recognise these names Mark Neil Gary Bolding Martin Phillips Steven Humphries Mark Burgess Mark Lovergrove Dolton Byfield Mt Form teacher was Mr White science teacher Mr Greenwood was Geography Mr Pontefract was history

any one who attended alderlea from 1966 to 1969
I attended Alderlea from 1966 until 1968. I lived on the Heathway and walked to school everyday. I remember the metal work teacher Mr Graham, our 1st 2 lessons on Monday morning was metal work, followed by our presence being required by Mr Reeves for our weekly 6 of the best. Happy days!!!!. By the way Mr Francis was a saint compared to Mr R.

Hi Everyone it has took me a while to find this i was at Alderlea Boys from 1977 to 1981 where i left at Easter that year. Dose any one know or recognise these names Mark Neil Gary Bolding Martin Phillips Steven Humphries Mark Burgess Mark Lovergrove Dolton Byfield Mt Form teacher was Mr White science teacher Mr Greenwood was Geography Mr Pontefract was history
Toby, welcome to the Forum, enjoy!

I attended Alderlea from 1966 until 1968. I lived on the Heathway and walked to school everyday. I remember the metal work teacher Mr Graham, our 1st 2 lessons on Monday morning was metal work, followed by our presence being required by Mr Reeves for our weekly 6 of the best. Happy days!!!!. By the way Mr Francis was a saint compared to Mr R.
Hi
I went there from 1977 - 1981 also lived on the Heathway so i properly know you but my two brothers was there when you was so you may know one of them can you give me some boys names you remember i do know all these teachers you have said Mr Graham always started his lessons with a story that lasted for three days before we got down to any metal work. All the best.

Hi
I went there from 1977 - 1981 also lived on the Heathway so i properly know you but my two brothers was there when you was so you may know one of them can you give me some boys names you remember i do know all these teachers you have said Mr Graham always started his lessons with a story that lasted for three days before we got down to any metal work. All the best.
Alan Graham was a friend of my dads.:grinning:

I remember some names from my bothers era Alan Cumming i think he had an older brother Philp they lived in cat lane Micky Nut. Some of the Grayson's like Malvin , Shane, Danny, Robert they lived on shopton road.

Hi, was there in 68/69 walked to school every day from Adelaide tower packington ave. Miss the UK, had Mr Titmus for history and I think Mr Clements for French and cross country.
Toby, welcome to the Forum, enjoy!

Alderlea Secondary Modern.Thats where I went along with Jeff Lynne (ELO) and Paul Smith AKA Paul Henry (Benny, Crossroads).

The school badge.
I remember Paul Smith doing the narration for a production at Alderlea. His first performance as l remember....mom always said he would do well.

Back