• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alcock Street, Digbeth

t.williamson

I'm looking for a street directory of Alcock St,Digbeth,Birmingham and a street layout of how the houses were numbered when my wife lived there as a child in the mid fifties.
Tom.

Mike is better at maps than I am but here goes. Dated about 1951.

Attachments

• Allcock Street.jpg
    Allcock Street.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 66
IOf the number you want isn't on that map, I'll try and work out where it was

IOf the number you want isn't on that map, I'll try and work out where it was
Thanks so much, it turns out it is in the centre of the map you sent me.Really grateful for your help.We went to Birmingham shopping last weekend and walked up Allcock St,Wished I had your map with me but when we Visit again in the new year we can now pin point exactly where my wife's house was.
Tom

Thanks so much, it turns out it is in the centre of the map you sent me.Really grateful for your help.We went to Birmingham shopping last weekend and walked up Allcock St,Wished I had your map with me but when we Visit again in the new year we can now pin point exactly where my wife's house was.
Tom
tom what number did your wife live at

lyn
Hi Lyn,Anne lived at number 1,back of 22 Allcock St.Didn't make sense at when she first told me.Annoyed I didn't take my camera last weekend,had my mobile with me but never thought.Will go to Birmingham again sometime in the new year.The houses have gone but the street layouts are there.

thats great tom...as back of 22 is showing on mikes map you should be able to get yer bearings...just before hack st i think..if you use this handy little tool you can move the blue dot back and forth to create a then and now map ..ive spents hours going round brum on this lol...the link should take you straight to allcock st...enjoy

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.4761&lon=-1.8811&layers=176&b=6
lyn

Last edited:
tom what number did your wife live at

lyn
I used to go with my mum on Friday nights, together with our enamel jug, for faggots and peas. They were prepared at the back of the grocer`s in Deritend. I wondered if there is anyone on this site who remembered this shop called George Roper`s? Through this site I have heard from the people who lived at 54. My friend Pat Ravenscroft lived here also. As you will know, the community was broken up when the houses were demolished. "Give me the child until he is seven and I will show you the man" (Aristotle). Thank you Birmingham for a really poor, but good start; something I have appreciated and carried gratefully through my life.

nice post roger thanks....so pleased that you have gained something from the forum:)

lyn

Hello Everyone. Just discovered whilst researching my family my Grandad (Horace Watkiss) owned a restaurant (or I think possibly it was a Fish and Chip Shop) at No 7 Allcock St in 1940/41. Anyone remember this or know where it might have been? Thanks so much!

hi roswold and welcome...our map expert mike maybe able to post you a map pinpointing where no 7 was

lyn

Thanks Lyn. I also discovered they owned a Chippy at 325 Bolton Road in Small Heath at the same time (from 1937). I am so intrigued.

The c1950 OS map, which numbers houses does not have any buildings at this position, and I would assume it was possibly bombed in the war. The c1938 map is not numbered, but no 7 is probably the building marked in red, though possibly the one to the right of it on the map below

map c 1938 showing approx. position of 7 Allcock st.jpg

In the 1940 Kellys it is listed as "refreshment rooms", so may have actually been a cafe.

Wow, thanks Mike and so fast. Much appreciated! I am going to have a walk down here next Friday i hope.

happy to help and dont forget you can travel all over birmingham with that map

lyn

My grandparents lived in Allcock st in 1939 and Heathmill lane in 1911 according to to the census and electoral register .
My aunt and family lived in Allcock st during 1940s/1950s.
I can remember visiting The back to backs in the 1950s in Alcock st.

Back