• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alcester Street, Digbeth

K

kevccfc

Hello All, This is my first post and it's to satisfy my curiosity.

I would like to ask if the now Paragon Hotel on Alcester Street, Digbeth was built as a Rowton House or was it previously a workhouse?

Best regards,Kevin.

when i was a kid i was told all the down and outs could go there and sleep lying over a rope stretched across the room for 3d a night,i use to run past it in case they come out to get me,all these tales never did me any harm and i dont need councelling,or do i?

HI KEV.
Very Good Question That , I Think I Would Like The Answer To That One
I Heard It Was Called A ROUTIN HOUSE Years AGO When I Was A YOUNG Lad ,And For Years I Often used to Ponder What It Was Before That ,
Before The Poor Old Souls Of The Street Be Came Dependant On It
When I Was Young It LOOKED Impressive building
So Come On All Our Inspector Clusoes Put Kevin AND Dolly And myself
Put Our Tiny Little minds At Rest ,---- please .
good night all you night owls , and remember .
its the early bird that catches the worms ,

:angel: First welcome to the forum Kev, we're a pretty good bunch here.

I for one remember 'The Rowton House' you mention very well.

As a child I lived just down the road in Dymoke St and when my Dad was late home from the Pub and Mom had locked him out, he and a number of other neighbours would from time to time spend Saturday nights there.
If on a Sunday morning we were not meeting my Dad on the steps (and what impressive steps they were), we would be meeting our friends Dad's.

One Sunday we arrived to meet one friend's Dad, only to be told he had been taken to hospital. He and another chap had been fighting over my friend's mother and those steps were covered in his blood.

Funny really we would go there on Sunday mornings unafraid of anything, but on week days when my siblings and I walked through Highgate Park to school on Mosley Rd we would run as fast as we could when we got close and would never dream of leaving the park at the Rowton House gate.

Top Of The Morning To You Cromwell
many Thanks For Answering Our QUESTION For Us
I Personaly Wondered For Years What That Place Had Been
As Most Of Our Other Members On The Site May Have Wonderd
From The Side View With The Red Brick And The Turret
It Looked A REMARKABLE Building In Its A Day
Have A Nice Day Crom,
best wishes ASTONIAN ,;;;;;

About 1993 I spent three nights there, on a sentimental trip back to Brum, when I stayed at the Chamberlain Hotel, as it was then called. About £30 B&B single a night it was, and quite passable. I was mainly roaming the Black Country in those days, but I did manage to visit the 'White Swan', 276 Bradford St and the 'Fountain', on the corner of Cheapside, where the landlady invited me to stay for afters [don't get me wrong please - I mean drinking after 11.00]. I walked past the rebuilt 'Ship' on Camp Hill, now closed, which looked very sad even then, and didn't have the will to try it.
I remember noticing the bulk of the Rowton House from the front balcony of the No 41 tram going up Leopold St. It stood out because of the open space opposite.
Peter

I have always known this as Highgate Hotel.....?.....
When I used to work for Bristol Street Motors in the early 1970s....dinner time we played football on the park next to the hotel....it was then in use as a doss house.....? we were always indated by the tramps asking for a few pennies for a cup of tea.......drove you round the bend at times....said some nasty things in reply...which I regret saying now.....

Thanks

Thanks for your replies.......I stayed there recently. I thought it had the look of an old workhouse. I've now learnt what Rowton Houses were.
I've since found out that George well stayed there and is mentioned in his book "Down and out in Paris and London" Many thanks. Kev.

the peacock,dymoke st/darwin st,carpenters arms/adelaide st

musicians union hq.market tavern,and another pub /the fountain

cost ya more than 3d to slump over a rope now,womans hostel next door

Back