• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Albutt Family

lisa cotterrell

master brummie
Can anyone help.

I am trying to find a Nellie Norris, who I have been told married an Albutt in Birmingham (she was born around 1899) I know she was not married by 1911 as I have the census for the family. I cant find a marriage or a death for her on Ancestry.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks

Lisa

Just replied to the wrong thread!lol Theres a marriage between Nellie P Norris & Percy Allbut in Banbury March 1915, and children from that marriage:
[SIZE=+1]Births Sep 1916 [/SIZE]Allbut Edward H Norris Birmingham 6d360
[SIZE=+1]Births Jun 1918 [SIZE=-2](>99%)[/SIZE][/SIZE] Allbut John Norris Birmingham 6d52[8_]
[SIZE=+1]Births Jun 1920 [SIZE=-2](>99%)[/SIZE][/SIZE] Allbut Robert G Norris Birmingham 6d844
[SIZE=+1]Births Mar 1923 [SIZE=-2](>99%)[/SIZE][/SIZE] Allbut David Norris Birmingham 6d623
https://javascript<b></b>:golink("/cgi/information.pl?r=147687385&d=bmd_1262089528")

Thanks Macca

Was sure it would be in Birmingham, but you never know I guess. I am trying to contact the owner of the family tree on ancestry (Minnie's family - dont know if you remember me trying to track her down to! She did go to Ireland and it was there I got the information from, if I manage to contact them will let you know). I have applied for the death certifcate that I think may be Rubys in Mansfield - all very exciting! But incredibly frustrating at the same time :)

Thank you

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Just a thought, maybe Percy was stationed in Banbury when they married as WW1 had just got underway. You could ask for an electoral role 'look up' to find an address for them in Birmingham, also note the slight difference in spelling they're listed as Allbut rather than Albutt.

Macca

Could you have been given any incorrect information about Nellie.
Nellie P Norris was born in on the in 1895 making her 20 when she married Percy in 1915 Banbury which has the reg District Northampton/Oxford.
In 1911 she is still in Northampton.
1901 15 Bruce street, Northampton
George M Norris age 37 Bricklayer b. Northampton
Kate D age 38
Eva age 10
Brian W age 9
Frank E age 7
Nellie P age 5
May G age 3
Reginald G age 7 months.

Percy Allbut was birth registered 1883 birmingham with this spelling
death registered 1933 age 49 in Birmingham with name spelt the same Allbut.

There is a death registered in March Cambridgeshire 1967 for Nellie P Allbut her age is estimated 78 but she was actually 72.

Last edited:
Hi there

I got the information off a family tree on ancestry.co.uk put on there by 'Minnies' family, which I am sure are the right Minnie as all other names etc on the family tree are right. Maybe they have got the wrong Nellie Norris (they do appear to have the wrong Ruby) I have Nellie on the 1911 census being in Cumberland Street, Birmingham, aged 22 with her Mum Ellen, and siblings, William, Ruby, Dorothy and Minnie, it says on there she was born in Ireland. Maybe I am chasing a red herring but cant seem to find another Nellie Norris.. Best take a step back I think and do bit more searching for Nellie. Dead end I think.

Thank you for that, saved me looking in the wrong place maybe!

Lisa

I think your other posts on the forum I believe that you think Richard Norris was Nellies father.
If you send for the Banbury marriage and stipulate that the father of Nellie must be Richard you will know if you have the correct one.They will not send an incorrect one, saving you wasting cash.

Hi again

Just had a wonderful telephone call, from Minnie Wood's daughter (so my Dads cousin) (I wrote some random letters to Dublin that came up trumps!) and although she knows nothing of Ruby apart from her existence, which is frustrating but expected, she told me that Nellie was close to her Mum (Minnie) and the other sister Dorothy and that Nellie was definately married to an Allbutt but he died quite young. They definately lived in Birmingham all their lives, and had two sons John and David, so dont know where that leaves me with Nellie.

Quite sad, Dad has all these cousins (9) and never knew any of them. But he had a good child hood and is still enjoying a very happy life so thats the main thing. Just need to get hold of the death certificate for the Ruby in Mansfield to either rule her out or find my grandmother.

Thank you for all your wonderful help, as always.

Lisa

Thats great news Lisa, I'm really pleased for you. The births in post #2 must be correct, Edward H Allbut & Robert G Allbut both died in infancy according to Freebmd. There is a marriage for David Allbut to Edna Phyllis Dear June 1945 Birmingham 6d 766. There are death registrations for David Allbut 2002, Peterborough Cambs & Phyllis Edna Allbut 2001 Peterborough, so the death that Alberta found for Nellie in post #5 could well be the right one, maybe she was staying with her son when she died.

Macca

Back