• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Albion Gun Tractor

N

neachelite

Does anyone have any photos of enclosed picture,its an albion heavy artillery gun tractor,i take it to shows as often as i can,(pending 6mpg @ 12 tons)im reliably informed that they were built in time for d-day,and most of them carried on to north africa after the war,so any pictures or stries would be greatfull

eric,well done mate ! i didnt even know the mvt had the pic,but the other link didnt work:|

eric,link is working for me today,(thanks di for the pic) thats the one @ duxford owned by a chap called colin.

This is an Albion ex-Gun Tractor. My mate from Scotland drove it from North of Aberdeen to the Great Dorset Steam Fair, and back :)

aahhhh you mean dave lees,he hasnt driven his to france though (but hes as barmy as me ,) and you have to be barmy to drive one of these ol girls @26 mph on todays roads, as dave will probably tell you.

Albion Gun Tractor used to tow 3.7in Calibre Mobile Anti-Aircraft Guns, Radar Cabins etc, in fact any thing with wheels it would move it when i was on N/S in the RA 1947. (All drivers agreed they where pigs to drive!!)

neachlite, Posted this Scammel Gun Tractor for a bit of make weight!!, i saw an RA driver of a Mack American Gun Tractor walk beside the cab using the crawler gears with a Gun on tow, very impressive.

Slightly off thread but I saw thts gas guzzler at a steam fair near Burton on Trent

lencops, explain more,like where did you drive one of these albions,as im trying to trace what division mine was in (do you have any photos)im told that they went over on d-day and carried on to north africa campaign,any knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciated,i could even take you out for a spin in the ol gal.

mike,a daimler armoured car ,i think,my mate just spent 4 years lovingly restoring his one ,only to find out on his first trip,how much petrol it used,so he got rid of it,such a shame !!!

Hi neachlite, Sorry to disappoint but i was not a Driver during my N/S my Trade was Heavy Anti-Aircraft Gunfitter Royal Artilliery at Grimsby my Regiment had American Mack Tractors. you are correct they did operate in Africa. i am a member of an ex-forces website www.exmilitarymates.com, a member who lives in Oz posted that he drove an Albion in Malaysia during the troubles there, you could join with out forces service there is great interest in restoring veteran ex forces vehicles, i did`nt learn to drive until 1956 in civvy street.

lencops,thanks for the link,i will try that one out,anyway your still welcome to a spin round the block in an albion gun tractor.

neachlite, A ride in an Albion tractor that would be great, if you go to the exmilitary M8s site they will tell how to join they like to know if you are genuine, you post your interests and a bit about your self and they join you in and its free and friendly, let me know about the ride when you are on the road, Thank you, Len.

Back