• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Albert

G

glaciermint

I have a number of sweetheart badges which my father gave me and was recently looking through them. In another post Cromwell mentions ones from French towns involved in the WW1 conflict and one I have is from Albert. When checking to see where the town is situated I came across the following snippet:

In terms of the history of the war, Albert came to be associated with the British when their troops took over the lines here in the summerof 1915. After the war, Albert was adopted by Birmingham.
Source: www.ww1battlefields.co.uk

This is the first time I have heard of the link with Birmingham and wondered whether the connection is remembered in any way today in either City? If I went there and announced that I was a Brummie might I get a free meal? Just wondered.

Does anyone know more about our adopted French friends?

Bob

How interesting glaciermint. I remember going to Albert about fifteen years ago when searching for my husbands grandfathers grave at the Somme. We visited a war museum in the town, I had no idea of the connection with Birmingham. I love these sweetheart brooches you are lucky to own some. I was told a lot were produced featuring swallows because they always return. I saw some die's featuring swallows used in jewellery making at the museum in the Jewellery Quarter.

I hope someone can throw some light on the connection with Albert and Birmingham.

Bob

The main road running through the Town of Albert is known as the Rue De Birmingham. If I remember right, Birmingham donated money to build an Old Peoples Home after WW1. The links between Albert and Birmingham were broken in the 1960's when Albert had a communist council and then twinned with an East German Town.

Terry

That would explain why I hadn't heard about it. Thanks for the info Terry

Bob

Back