• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Albert William Smith, Lance Corporal

Tippin

proper brummie kid
Hi,

I am looking for information on my Great-Grandfather who served during the Boar War, and the Great War. The only information I have on him is from family legions, and from a single picture I think was taken around 1915.

I have been told that he ran away to join the army, and that he was under age when he did so. As he was born in 1880, I quess that he must have signed up before 1898. When he was alive, he always talked about fighting the Zulu's, and as he was born the year after the Zulu Wars, I once again quess that he may have come into contact with them during their unprising in 1904.

On the picture I have of him, Is is wearing the Queens, and Kings South Africa Medels, so this clarafies that he did serve in South Africa. He is also wearing three chevrons on his arms, which I have been told means he served for 10 years.

As all this information is before the Great War started, I would be very intrested to find out any information on him, but I need help. I would also like to find out how much of the above is true, as some could be family myth.

As he was born in Small Heath, Birmingham, I quess that he fought for the Warwicks Regiment, but as his brother-in-law was also born in Birmingham but fought in the Oxfords & Bucks Regiment I quess that this may not be true. I have also been told that he rose to the rank of Lance Corporal, but was demoted again for being drunk on duty.

Can any one help me find information on Lance Corporal Smith?
Stephen

Back