• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Albert Frederick Russell - Worcester Yeomanry, Kings Heath

Brummie Rose

proper brummie kid
Hi, I am posting this photo of my dad (the short guy) and his friend. As I understand it they both joined up together in the Worcester Yeomanry at Kings Heath in 1938 and in February 1940 they found themselves sent to France as part of the British Expeditionary Force serving in 210 Battery, (Worcester Yeomanry), 53rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery which formed part of the rearguard at the retreat to Dunkirk. My dad was fortunate enough to be one of the lucky ones and was taken off the beach at Dunkirk. Unfortunately, my dad's friend was killed but my dad survived and later saw service in North Africa and Italy.

I would really like to be able to put a name to dad's friend - were they school friends, were they workmates or were they neighbours? On enlistment my dad lived at Cottage Place, Hope Street, Birmingham. Please get in touch if anyone out there recognises my dad's friend as I would dearly love to know more about him and who he was so that he won't be forgotten.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Albert with friend from Brum.jpg
    Albert with friend from Brum.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 32
Back