• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Albert Edward Fletcher

jane k

master brummie
I`m trying to find out more about my grandmother`s half-brother Albert Edward Fletcher (known as Ted) who was born in 1890 in Aston. In 1911 he is living with his parents Albert and Elizabeth Ann in Aston Manor and he spent the war in the 2nd Birmingham Battalion. My dad told me that Ted worked for Dunlop and spent some time in Denmark for them. I have a Copenhagen vase which he brought back for my Grandma which is dated 1937. But I can`t find him after that. Perhaps he was still in Denmark for the 1939 register? I don`t know his wife`s name either I`m afraid.
Any ideas?

Not sure if it's a typo or a mistake but you've got his birth year wrong, it was 1898 not 1890.

There appear to be several passenger arrival records for him for N America. One mentions Dunlop and a wife Beatrice and another mentions a previous residence as Sweden.

There's a possible death in South Africa, 15 Oct 1964.

Your`s absolutely right - my mistake! I think I`ve fallen foul of trying to look for too many people at once. No wonder I couldn`t find him afterwards. Many thanks for putting me straight
Is there anymore information that might help me track down the marriage to "Beatrice"?

Last edited:
Albert married Beatrice Maud Corbett Jun qtr 1925 Bham N.

They had 2 children Eileen Kirsten (1927 Bham) and Robert Edward (1932 Denmark).

They travelled from Yokohama, Japan to US in 1940, last permanent residence listed as Norrkoping, Sweden.

Brilliant! He certainly got about a bit!
Do you know if Beatrice died in South Africa too? I remember being taken to visit an elderly `aunt` who had a lot of Oriental furniture - probably in the late 60s/early70s. I`m wondering if Beatrice came back to the UK

I`ve just remembered that I`ve spoken to their daughter Eileen Fletcher! That was a couple of years ago after my dad died when she was living in London - never married - I think she`d been a nurse. Unfortunately I don`t have her contact details anymore and she was very frail then

I can't see a death for Beatrice but how comprehensive the S A records are I don't know.

There's an Eileen K Fletcher listed at Brentmead Close but the last year was 2014.

Back