• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

air training cadets

J

jake

was anyone on here in the A.T.C 493 squadren used to meet at colmore road school around 1952/ to 1956.

jake

Jake,
I was in the ATC. for a shortish time. I can't remember the number but we used to assemble at Castle Bromwich Air base in a hut. I learned the morse code there; not much use now. It would be at about the time you mention though. Did you get a ride in an Anson?

hi alf
yes had a flight in the avro anson the dakota and the tiger moth, my uncle was an aircraft mechanic or whatever they called them in those day's, stayed at air base in hawarden flintshire, my uncle used to get me flights, he got me flights in a chipmunk / auster / and a gloster meteor, was it the anson or dakota that was called the flying bedstead today's kids should be made to join, or bring back national service they might then learn some respect.

jake

Alf it depends,both are right but the first one says S O S the second says O S O

Colin

I REMEMBER the air displays put on at Castle Brom had my first flight in a Tiger Moth you guys in the ATC had a stand there nearly joined but to far to go without transport in those days.
Used to watch the RAF guys jump out of a basket from under a balloon some sunday mornings when passing the Drome :idiot2:
ASTON

I was in the A.T.C. , 197 squadron based at the B.S.A., we even had our own flight simulator. >:D

Crikey! You just made me remember that simulator; a short stubby little thing that used to spin around (well, it did when I was in it). Was a cadet there sometime around '74.

Air Training Corps in the late 50's I was in the 492 Hall Green squadron until I gave it up for cycle racing in 1961. The simulator was called a 'Link Trainer' or 'Blue Box', named in the 20's after Edwin Albert Link.

2011 sees the 70th Anniversary of the formation of the Air Training Corps.View attachment 63675

'Towards the end of 1940, the government realised the value of the cadet force and took control of the ADCC. It reorganised and renamed it, and on the 5th February 1941 the Air Training Corps was officially established with King George VI as the Air Commodore-in-Chief.'

Here is the shortcut for the Air Cadet website https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/whoweare/aircadet70.cfm ...... enjoy!

Anyone remember 2030 Sqn. C.O.was Dennis Brookes and second in command Howard Luckett? Used to meet in the 1950's at Hob Moor Road School, South Yardley.

Last edited:
Chocks, I was in the ATC around 1944 to 1946, I beiieve it was 157 Sqdn based in or adjacent to Margeret St, and joined the RAF in 1948 to 1956 becoming aircrew wireless operator, (had not got necessary qualifications to train as pilot or navigator) During my service in the ATC completed two fortnight camps at RAF Ternhill and RAF Valley. Enjoyed both my ATC and RAF service, Eric

That's what it's all about Eric. Although the cadets can give you a good footing in life their ultimate role is to introduce you to life in the forces. I served 4 years in the Sea Cadets and went on to serve 18 years in the RN.

Chocks

I didn't know of 2030 Sqn back then but they still exist and are parading out of the TA centre in Sheldon.

Anyone remember 2030 Sqn. C.O.was Dennis Brookes and second in command Howard Luckett? Used to meet in the 1950's at Hob Moor Road School, South Yardley.

Hi,

I was in 2030 (Yardley) Squadron in 1943-45. Howard Luckett was a Cadet Sergeant then. The C.O. was a Mr Millington who owned a small factory at Henley in Arden. The adjutant was Mr Lunn who was a teacher at Bordesley Green Technical School (see the tthread on Bordesley Green T.S) Howard Luckett was a good friend of mine and sadly passed away about 18 months ago. The members of the wartime squadron held annual reunions until 2 years ago when we had to give it up due to lack of numbers and poor health of those of us who were left.

Old Boy.

After arriving in Devon I soon joined the ATC. Chock2 asks who went on to join the RAF. I did, for six years. National Service was still the order of the day and I had no wish to be in the Army although my father had been a soldier from mid 1939 until the end of 1946. Most folks around here were sailors or Merchant Marine but some who were conscripted did end up in the Army of RAF.

The Link Trainer was a great thrill to youngsters and the gliding trips that were arranged during the summer camps great.

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000000745 StartFragment:0000000454 EndFragment:0000000729 Hi Jake
I was in 493 got to the dizzy height of Cadet Sgt the CO was Flt Lt James and there was F/O Hoggits and F/O Osbourne if my memory is correct.
Michael Hewitt

I was in 157 Sqdn, I think in Margeret St about 1943/6 went to fortnight summer camps, one at RAF Valley, Anglesy and the other at RAF Ternhill, flew in Tiger Moth, Anson and Airspeed Oxford, joined the RAF in 1948 for 8 years, became an Aircrew Wireless Op in 1949, spent time on Lancasters, Sunderlands and Hastings amongst others in East and West Africa, Hong Kong and Singapore. Great times with wonderful memories. Demobbed 1956. Should have stayed in. Eric

Last edited:
Back