• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Air Raid Wardens And Police

S

sheila cox

Are there lists for Airaid police / Airaid wardens?

here i go again i have to many unanswered question would anyone know if there is a list of names for air raid police and air raid wardens keep from the second world war not sure which my dad was or even if he become both we do know he was cheif air raid warden at one point heres hopeing sheila :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If there were list they are still covered by official secrets act but you might be lucky and find named photo's of air raid wardens etc
No list's exist at Kew as only the services were recorded and air raid wardens were mostly civilians

thanks cromwell and bill c for your help not sure dad would be in the birmingham book as he was around the smethwick area but the book look interesting we have dads badges from his uniform but there are both arp and arw and i know dad got a medal for somethink he did in world war 2 but he would not go and get it for some reason and he would not talk about it bad memorys i would think thank you anyway for your help

sheila
will look in the book and scan it if anything interesting.but i do need his name.the black country bugle do a lot with memories and photos.
GOOD LUCK

my dad

hi bill my dad,s name is Alfred Bert Woodcock and as jean said we think dad got the medel for the coventry blits

Coventry is about 22 miles from Smethwick........ and so without proof you can say medal was for ?

hi cromwell we did not say for sure what the medel was for only that we was lead to belive thats what it was for dad would not talk about it

sheila
have looked in the book.sorry.cannot find your dads name.

my dad

Thank you bill for looking for dad,s name i am sure one day i will find out what i want to know probley need to get a smethwick book but thanks anyway

WAr time Fireman

Are there any lists for WW2 Fireman,I gather the Home office will not release the offical lists,but I'm looking for records of William Arthur Briscoe and Arthur Taylor.
Sleepybarb

Airraid wardens/ Airraid police

i have not found any list so far but i do keep looking my dad never talked about his time as an air raid warden much so i dont know to much realy i do know he was the head warden of the area where he lived and i do have some of the badges from his uniform and also his whistle its great to have them

war time firemen.

sleepybarb.
Try the West Midland Fire Service Publice Relations Assistant. 0121 380 6104. she contacted the fire services archives for me and sent information on my Grandpas service s from 1907-1911 they may be able to help you
Maggie

I have a book Heroes of the Birmingham Air Raids by Michael Minton which lists the names of men of the fire service and other organisations who received awards for service during the blitz.I'm sorry there's no mention of either of the names you mention.

If anyone wants a name checking let me know

Colin

Last edited:
Sheila How lovely that you have some badges and his whisle these things are so precious. The records I suppose are covered by the hundred year closure rule. Lets hope they release them early!

my dad,s badges and whistle

hi moma p yes it is nice to have some of my dad things from his ARP days and yes i think the 100 year thing does stop us seeing the things we want to see sheila

Perry Common ARP

Attached photo of the ARp's at Perry Common. My Grandfather Edmund Watson front right

You are obviously related to Luckybrum as this photo is posted on the home guard thread. Still its a great photo my grandfather was according to my mothers marriage certificate an ARP warden in Aston in1939.

Arp,s

:) How lovley to have the photo all these things are very nice to have my dad would have been in the smethwick area i do know he was the chef air raid warden and his marrage to my mom was in the news paper i dont have the cutting but i do have what it said writen out my grand dauguter is learning about world war 2 at school i was telling her about her great grandad and the badges we have

Back