• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Air Raid Wardens And Police

I have a book Heroes of the Birmingham Air Raids by Michael Minton which lists the names of men of the fire service and other organisations who received awards for service during the blitz.I'm sorry there's no mention of either of the names you mention.

If anyone wants a name checking let me know

Colin
May I please take you up on your so kind offer 2 look a name up? Dad was in the afs &went out on many of BRUMS fires name
FREDERICK PIERSON HILL. THANK YOU. RUPERTBRI.

Last edited by a moderator:
rupertbri,

I'm not sure whether ColinB still follows this forum and so as I also have the book, I'll answer. Unfortunately there appears to be no mention of Frederick Pierson Hill.

"Heroes of the Birmingham Air Raids" describes specific incidents where the contribution of individuals of many services, and also civilians, was recognised with a bravery award. AFS men are listed, as well as those in the ARP, Home Guard, R.E Bomb Disposal units, Police, the railway companies, factories and so on. There is also an AFS Roll of Honour listing those AFS men who lost their lives.

I imagine that the book mentions only a tiny fraction of all the men and women who were involved in one way or another with the Birmingham Blitz. Many of the countless others would also have performed acts of bravery in the line of duty but have gone unrecognised and are therefore forgotten outside the circle of family and friends. This forum is a way of remembering them and what they did.

Chris

Hello Chris, please will you look in your book to see if GEORGE CLEGG or THOMAS A. G. HERBERT are mentioned? Thank you. Rowan:)

Sheila

If you can, I suggest you call in to the Smethwick Heritage Centre which is in the park. They may be able to help you.

Junie

Birmingham City Police in 1940 arriving in Coventry for a Midland ARP exercise. Viv.
image.jpeg

I have a book Heroes of the Birmingham Air Raids by Michael Minton which lists the names of men of the fire service and other organisations who received awards for service during the blitz.I'm sorry there's no mention of either of the names you mention.

Colin
hi, I realise this thread is quite old but we are trying to find some information about William Frederick Booton (my grandfather) who was killed 19 November 1941. He was an air raid warden and we understand he was checking a primary school when it got hit. He is listed on the beautiful "tree of life" memorial.

Hi, would appreciate any information about air raid warden William F Booton killed in the Blitz November 1941 – he was my grandad

Hi BBoots,

Welcome to the Forum, but I'm very sad to inform you that Colin B passed away some time ago. Sorry I can't help you about your granddad, but maybe some other member can.

Maurice

An ARP warden's whistle, used in Walsall by my late father-in-law but there IS a Birmingham connection!

It was made by J. Hudson & Co., Barr Street, Hockley, Birmingham.

Chris

An ARP warden's whistle, used in Walsall by my late father-in-law but there IS a Birmingham connection!

It was made by J. Hudson & Co., Barr Street, Hockley, Birmingham.

Chris

View attachment 132717
I have a particular interest in Hudson’s and have a decent size collection of their whistles. This is one of the first Metropolitan Police whistles they turned out Spring 1884?

Attachments

• C347CD79-FBB7-4107-8FC2-11CACDD62135.jpeg
    C347CD79-FBB7-4107-8FC2-11CACDD62135.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 9

Colin

Last edited:
My grandad was an LMS ARP, probably Curzon Goods Station.
I'm doing a family story and wondered if anyone has any images of an ARP in action.

rupertbri,

I'm not sure whether ColinB still follows this forum and so as I also have the book, I'll answer. Unfortunately there appears to be no mention of Frederick Pierson Hill.

"Heroes of the Birmingham Air Raids" describes specific incidents where the contribution of individuals of many services, and also civilians, was recognised with a bravery award. AFS men are listed, as well as those in the ARP, Home Guard, R.E Bomb Disposal units, Police, the railway companies, factories and so on. There is also an AFS Roll of Honour listing those AFS men who lost their lives.

I imagine that the book mentions only a tiny fraction of all the men and women who were involved in one way or another with the Birmingham Blitz. Many of the countless others would also have performed acts of bravery in the line of duty but have gone unrecognised and are therefore forgotten outside the circle of family and friends. This forum is a way of remembering them and what they did.

Chris
Hello Chris. My grandfather Horace Robert (Bob) Hibell was, according to my mother, head air raid warden presumably for the Erdington area. I'd be grateful if you could check for his name in this book. Thanks, David, South Australia

Back