• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Air raid shelters

Re. Post #480, there’s always someone who’ll cut corners to make a few extra quid. Appalling if it did result in unnecessary fatalities. Viv.

This is how I remember the entrance to the shelter on Kingstanding Road near Tresham Road. This would have been in the 1950s. The door had been broken into and the fence was still around the top. The entranceway had been partially filled in at that time. Viv.

D6EE42EA-CC37-4FDB-891A-EFC17B5DC17D.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archives.

This doesn't suprise me. The government always knows best. :rolleyes:

robb128 shelters in Co op car park Wylde Green. Around here Robb?

View attachment 119071
i know this is an old post but today i managed to get some photos of this underground air raid shelter including some shots of the inside of it made possible due to some of concrete that was missing from one end..the other end shows the entrance door...cant believe its still there..amazing...will get the photos on asap

lyn

right folks i think these are the best of the lot...the shelter which is in the car park behind the co op wylde green is very long and covered in ivy now..please excuse the fingers showing in the shots taken of the inside as it was very difficult getting the camera in the gap at the right angle..looks to be modern rubbish in there but unless the roof comes off who knows what ww2 relics could be hidden..note the corrugated sides inside the shelter..fascinating it of history..if anyone wants to post these photos on any other internet site as always i have no objection at all but i would ask that you credit the birmingham history forum...thanks

lyn

pic 1 the length of the shelter overgrown roof with ivy
pics 2.3 and 4 entrance bricked up
pic 5 is the end of the shelter with some concrete broken off this is where the camera went in
pics 6.7 and 8 the inside of the shelter

.air raid shelter length.jpgair raid shelter entrance 2.jpgair raid shelter entrance 3.jpgair raid shelter entrance 3.jpgair raid shelter end.jpgair raid shelter inside 2.jpgair raid shelter inside 3.jpgair raid shelter inside.jpg

Last edited:
hi mort go to my post 484 where i quoted garys post which is 10 years old...the location is given but i will edit my post giving the location...glad you liked the photos i must admit it was great to get out again taking photos of historical interest

lyn

Last edited:
I once came across one like this in the back garden of a house on The Avenue in Acox Green. It was an above ground shelter at the bottom of the garden with the bunkbeds etc.

Have just been watching an old film about the history of Davenports Brewery
It covers the story of the time in WWII showing the practice evacuations to the air raid shelter. It said that 4-500 people sheltered there at night and that there was a first aid post open day and night staffed by Davenport employees.

I wondered that too as the film seemed to cut out just as it was giving details of the shelter.

All the same David interesting film about Davenports. Viv.

PRIME TARGET

My Dad also told me that they used to stockpile ammunition under the Villa stand. There was the army 'base' at the back of the Villa, entrance off Witton Road, later used by Post office telephones.
What with I.C.I turning out bombs as well, I think it was a very dodgy area to live regarding bombing raids.
we lived near the BSA factory armoury road, my family used the crypt , the church at the corner of walford road , one night a bomb fell opposite and demolished a row of houses plus set the gas main alight my mother said it was like daylight , you could see the BSA the next night they chose bomb shelter under burtons stratford rd

But remember Viv that at that time clothing was on ration and people used what they already had, as new items were very restricted

In ww2 I had a one piece zip-fastened 'siren-suit' somewhat like the lady on the right. My Mom made it from an old blanket. We used to put them on after tea as the sirens sounded and go up for a night in the shelter. If it was an all-night raid I can remember walking back down the garden as the dawn was breaking and the birds were singing ... :)

Back