• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Air raid shelters

I suppose there is almost nobody around now who was an adult in 1939 and could confirm it. But it seems pretty clear that many people knew exactly what was coming and this included the authorities, fortunately. Even if we were woefully unprepared in some ways, in others we were ready: these ARP measures; industrially, with shadow factories ready for the "off"; early warning radar stations; fighter production gearing up.

The invasion of the rest of Czechoslovakia by Hitler in March was the the last straw. But to many it was just a confirmation of existing fears. My own father was building our air-raid shelter in the back garden in the winter of 1938/39, prior to all that. He had visited Germany in 1937/38, could see what was going on, remembered hanging up his own uniform less than 20 years earlier.....

(One of my earliest memories is standing on the edge of a big hole, watching him pour concrete to construct one of the walls. Happy days?????)

Chris
A goods instance where 'the man in the street' or the 'man on the Clapham omnibus' :grinning: seemed to be aware of what was around the corner more so than many politicians.
(No Brexit comments, watch tv for that) :eek:

We have friends that live in Bath and Alexander has this two man shelter in his yard. Have not seen one of these before. Said he thinks ARP used them on roof tops? Thinks they are very rare. Bath got 6" snow.

Attachments

• 51265824_10156546438538122_6644233859095330816_o (2).jpg
    51265824_10156546438538122_6644233859095330816_o (2).jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 24
We have friends that live in Bath and Alexander has this two man shelter in his yard. Have not seen one of these before. Said he thinks ARP used them on roof tops? Thinks they are very rare. Bath got 6" snow.
its a bit small for two sharing. init. did they stand up:laughing::laughing:

Thank you for re telling the bishop street air raid. The home guard was my great grandad George Walter Inwood GC. His George cross is located at the Birmingham museum. Top bloke by the sound of it. Very proud x

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190212-012447_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190212-012447_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20190212-012501_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190212-012501_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20190212-012506_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190212-012506_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
A warm welcome to the Forum, Hayley. We are especially pleased to be able to welcome the descendant of such a remarkable Birmingham hero as George Walter Inwood.

Thanks for posting the screenshots. It may be also convenient, for ease of viewing, for members to go directly to my Home Guard website page where that information about your great grandfather is contained. This is a reminder of it: http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/DotherReminiscences87Deritend.htm

If you have any further unpublished family information (including a photograph of him, perhaps), which would improve this commemoration of him, do please let us/me know. I should be very pleased to include it within the page if that is what your family would want.

Chris

Hello Hayley, I'm related too! My 2xGt Grandmother was Selina Inwood nee Bettridge (later Yapp so it's a little complicated. )
Another member Carlinwood is also related but I'm not sure if he still posts.
If you put "Inwood" into the search box there is more information.
I didn't know the medal was in the Museum, I'm glad it's safe!! Thanks for posting.
Best Wishes,
rosie.

Just going through a few old pics and came across this one of our air raid shelter at 215 Knowle Road, Sparkhill. We moved into the house in 1941 from Aston and the shelter was already there. Centre top you can just make out the back wall of the Springfield Cinema, by then with all its seats stripped out and used by the Ministry of Food for storing sugar.

Due to the high water table, the inside of the shelter was deep with stagnant water with duck boards over the top. I think we only used it two or three times. My younger brother Roy is sitting on the swing erected by my father. The strings on the right were put up by my father for growing sweet peas.

Maurice :cool:
Roy_215_Knowle_Road_1941.jpg

OMG, Paul, that's another sad story. So sorry for you both. We all have to take what life chucks at us and some are luckier than others. I count myself as one of the lucky ones so far, though my late wife died in 2005 and my daughter at the age of 43 leaving four young kids. Fortunately members of the family pulled together and the end result in this case hasn't been too bad. But this is not the thread to air personal problems. So apologies to the mods and my thoughts are with you Paul.

Maurice :)

Where was Ropers Hill Ray? not a name I've heard before, we did the same with the curved shelter piece at where we called 'up the gulley' the hill behind Sidcup Road.

Where was Ropers Hill Ray? not a name I've heard before, we did the same with the curved shelter piece at where we called 'up the gulley' the hill behind Sidcup Road.
Ropers Hill was at the back of Courtnay Rd which ran from Goodway Rd and Birdbrook Rd it's a housing estate these days.
Wasn't that hill back Sidcup Rd called the Spit or some think like that, I used to go to aunt's in Mitchem Grove and go up to play on that hill.

Just going through a few old pics and came across this one of our air raid shelter at 215 Knowle Road, Sparkhill. We moved into the house in 1941 from Aston and the shelter was already there. Centre top you can just make out the back wall of the Springfield Cinema, by then with all its seats stripped out and used by the Ministry of Food for storing sugar.

Due to the high water table, the inside of the shelter was deep with stagnant water with duck boards over the top. I think we only used it two or three times. My younger brother Roy is sitting on the swing erected by my father. The strings on the right were put up by my father for growing sweet peas.

Maurice :cool:
View attachment 142976
We used to have one like that in Birdbrook Rd Great Barr but you needed wellies it used to flood, the developers covered a brook over.

Back