• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Air Raid Shelter Ticket

- complete darkness is a strange sensation, you feel like you can almost touch it

As any firefighter will confirm........;)

Hi Folk, anybody got their very own shelter at the bottom of their garden? My friend has, it was a mixed blessing (he lived near the Robin Hood, Hall Green) it was the most secure garden shed imaginable. A surface building (don't know if it had a lower level) no windows of course or power. He got quotes for removing it but they were all so prohibitively expensive he decided he would just have to live with it. I wonder if there was a choice when it came to their installation? - I'm guessing not. To practicalities - You could be sheltering, shoulder to shoulder, for hours, what happened when you needed to pee, or worse? I suppose some shelters have listed building status, I wonder how many have been turned into habitable dwellings?
Regards,
Peg.

Hi Folks, the ticket that started this thread has its 76th Birthday this coming 8th May, I think it's time to find a safe and permanent home for it and my first thought was the City of Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, but as we now know the ticket is a Londoner, so should it be the London Transport Museum? Or even the Imperial War Museum?
All views valued.
Regards,
Peg.

Without doubt my choice would be the London Transport Museum as it was their property that was used by possession of the ticket. I must admit bias as I was a member of the LT Museum. ;)

Hi Folks, the ticket that started this thread has its 76th Birthday this coming 8th May, I think it's time to find a safe and permanent home for it and my first thought was the City of Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, but as we now know the ticket is a Londoner, so should it be the London Transport Museum? Or even the Imperial War Museum?
All views valued.

Regards,
Peg.

thats a lovely idea peg..i guess you could contact both organisations to see who would benifit most from the ticket..please will you keep us updated...

lyn

Hi Folks, I am happy to report that the the Star of the Thread, the Air Raid Shelter Ticket, has been safely lodged at the London Transport Museum.

I fear we will never know who was the owner of the ticket and why my mother felt compelled to keep it safe for all these years, but the London Transport Museum people are on the case - trying to trace the owner from the number, who better qualified?

I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Peg.

London Transport Museum Blue BG version 2.jpg

Back