• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Agent Profession.

Steve40UK

proper brummie kid
My 4x great grandad's profession in 1881 is listed as being an agent. Does anyone have an idea what this was, and more information on it? Thanks!

What's he listed as on the other censuses? First thought would be insurance agent.

Findmypast has a list of similar occupations and it lists House Agents together with Auctioneers, Appraisers and Valuers.

'Agent' can also be used to describe a person who deals in all kinds of merchandise. I have lots in my family going back to at least the start of the 1800s. Sometimes they are referred to as brokers too. My 'agents' handled all sorts of things; imported fancy goods, wine, timber - from all over the world. They also worked with shipping and transport companies. And many of the male children went into the profession. Viv.

Back