• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aerial Photographs - Britain From Above

oh wow keiron after all the hard work you do and the help you give others you deserve this bit of luck...i totally understand how you feel...by the way where exactly was your parents offie??

lyn

oh wow keiron after all the hard work you do and the help you give others you deserve this bit of luck...i totally understand how you feel...by the way where exactly was your parents offie??

lyn

Thanks Lyn, it was on Reddal Hill Road midway between Cradley Heath and Old Hill in yam-yam land. I was actually born in The Lye but this is where I spent my childhood and teenage years and so this is where I consider home. I wrote a short paper on this "love of place" that I can see most forum members, you included, possess!

By the way, most of what is seen in the pic has gone. Ours was freehold but my parents bought from Ansell's, the rep of whom would offer incentives to sell their ales. In the pic you can see another off licence on the opposite side of the road. This was an outlet for M&B and run for many years by a woman named Beryl. That building survives. All of our side of the road was compulsory purchased for demolition prior to road-widening. I have the plans for this road project dating from the late 1950s. Our house was demolished in the early 80s in readiness for the road. The work is still in the pipeline, nearly 70 years after the plans were drawn up!!

thats interesting keiron and i bet that yourself along with hundreds of our members wished that we had the interest to take photos before our houses were demolished...alas many of us were only interested in growing up and enjoying ourselves never thinking that many years later we would be searching high and low for old piccies...keeps us busy though:rolleyes: ps that pic you have is very clear indeed not all the ones from britain from above are as good as that...

lyn

thats interesting keiron and i bet that yourself along with hundreds of our members wished that we had the interest to take photos before our houses were demolished...alas many of us were only interested in growing up and enjoying ourselves never thinking that many years later we would be searching high and low for old piccies...keeps us busy though:rolleyes: ps that pic you have is very clear indeed not all the ones from britain from above are as good as that...

lyn

Oh so right Lyn. I should have been trawling the streets with a camera! However, like you say, I was busy growing up and the surroundings were taken for granted. But I can almost smell the locale in that photograph. And, of course, the noise from the factories! I have no idea how my mother coped with the washing - I reckon after it was hung up to dry it was covered in factory dust and smells!

Because it was a licensed property, I found the building plans for our house in Sandwell Archives - another bit of joy!

yes i think you told me about finding your house plans some time ago kieron so another bit of luck...i wouldnt mind so much but my childhood home built around 1840/50s was only demolished in the 1980s at which time i was only living a couple of miles away :rolleyes:...having said that on the whole i have been very lucky in the past 10 years to find so many old photos of my street some are not so lucky

lyn

Back