• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advice

I accept the 'internet' for what it is ... mainly paid for by advertising and tracking. I just find a way round when I'm searching.

The Edge browser has the privacy and services setting page below and I'm on the middle setting which has blocked trackers 4595 times, 881 of them from some organisation named Krux. Facebook have tried to track me 561 times. I'm not on Facebook although I use their Whatsapp which is free so I suppose Facebook would like to earn something from me ... but I never take any notice of internet ads or Google search results I don't want.
View attachment 143112
I might choose the strict setting and see what happens ....
i tryd to load whatsapp,but it keeps asking to scan a pic with my smartphone. i have not got one.can i still load whatsapp ?

It has to be first installed in a smart phone but provided the smart phone is connected to the internet (via wi-fi) an app can be loaded in Windows 10 which runs Whatsapp. I think I got the app from the Microsoft Store. I use it a lot on my laptop ... big screen, proper keyboad, etc. When installing in the computer the phone has to scan a code pic on the computer screen to make the initial set-up.

I also have it in my iPad but it has to run within the Safari browser and the phone has to be connected to the internet.

The thing I like about Whatsapp is that when it is connected to the internet (via wi-fi) phonecalls to other mobiles are free.

I use Skype for video chats.

Last edited:
It has to be first installed in a smart phone but provided the smart phone is connected to the internet (via wi-fi) an app can be loaded in Windows 10 which runs Whatsapp. I think I got the app from the Microsoft Store. I use it a lot on my laptop ... big screen, proper keyboad, etc. When installing in the computer the phone has to scan a code pic on the computer screen to make the initial set-up.

I also have it in my iPad but it has to run within the Safari browser and the phone has to be connected to the internet.

The thing I like about Whatsapp is that when it is connected to the internet (via wi-fi) phonecalls to other mobiles are free.

I use Skype for video chats.
thanks for that mike and phil.i see now. what the code thing was.for

i tryd to load whatsapp,but it keeps asking to scan a pic with my smartphone. i have not got one.can i still load whatsapp ?

If you have not got a smartphone and mobile phone number you cant run Whatsapp.

It relies on a mobile phone number on a smartphone for the initial set up (that's how it connects other WhatsApp users, via a mobile phone number).

So no Smartphone no Whatsapp.

Back