• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Advice please

APS

knowlegable brummie
Hi
I'm at a loss as to what to try next
I am trying to confirm my Grandfather on Find My Past site.
I was always told he was born in S Africa as his father was stationed over there.
Always been under the impression he was born in 1896 but on the 1911 census I have found an entry for his name living at 13 Grove Lane Smethwick born 1897 Cape Town S Africa.
Tried doing a lookup for the Father listed in entry but came up blank.
Has anyone any suggestions as to how I can confirm I have the right person please.
Have no older family members to ask as I am now the oldest.

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
William,Jenny,Alice,Harry,Annie,Fanny,Lily and William Sartin
Port of Departure:Durban, South Africa
Arrival Date:8 Jul 1909
Port of Arrival:Southampton, England
Ports of Voyage:Cape Town
Ship Name:Goth
William's occ was Groom

That's the full household for 13 Grove Lane.
I'm tempted to belive I have the correct person and just my info on his DOB is incorrect.
Thanks for your help ladylinda much appreciated.

Keep in mind the month that the census was taken and his birth month.I think it was required to put age as you were and not what you would be that year if your birthday fell in the folllowing months?
If you see what I mean?

1920-1939 at 147 Heath Street
Harry J Sartin and Lily Mildred Sartin
1945 at 110 Upper meadow Rd
Harry J Sartin and Lily Mildred Sartin and William H Sartin
1947 at 110 Upper meadow Rd
Harry J Sartin,Lily Mildred Sartin,William H Sartin and Phyllis E B Sartin
1950 at 110 Upper meadow Rd
1955-1960 at 110 Upper meadow Rd
Harry J Sartin,Lily Mildred Sartin,Norman L Sartin and Ivy V Sartin

1945 Jane Sartin was living with daughter Annie and her husband Reginald Brace Underwood at 61 Selsey Road

Death entry shows Harry James Sartin 1974 Birmingham, birthdate 22 June 1896
this would have made him 14 in April when the census was taken , 15 on the 22 June 1911.

Hi APS and lady linda
i hope yu do not mind me suggesting this ;if my memory serves me correctly for some reason way back in time around the years of 1949-51
i do beleive there was a gentlman whom ran a clothes shop whom sold suits
and trousers [ long trouser] for all generations evenn for seven years olds on the corner of park rd and the side rd right next to HP sauce
factory it was a shop very old shop right on the corner also facing the old big clock what as bee there for decades around the time of the aston cross orininale one with the chains around it ; and at that particular year when we was taken along the lichfield rd from 5/92 cromell square [ terrace ]
by our verywell known rich lady our grand mother named bertha victoria hinton whom was married to ernest jelf
took myself and two older brothers to this shop to get us kitted out with brand new clothes and our first ever long pair of trousers ; whilst other kids our age was already wearing them; but i am pretty sure is name was sartins afew later this guy whom measuered us all for our little pair of long
trousers eventualy left and then some one had bought the shop ; i am sure his name was sartin;
so i was thinking if you gave that a spin it could be connected just to finish it off nan took us to marks and sparks in there cage lift and also the old coop in those days and took us down the alley way from the high stret to bordesly street opening to new cannal street along side the old rail way walls
it was a old cobbled alley way ; along walk indeed especial when you are a little nipper best wishes astonian;

1920-1939 at 147 Heath Street
1945 at 110 Upper meadow Rd
Harry J Sartin and Lily Mildred Sartin and William H Sartin
1947 at 110 Upper meadow Rd
Harry J Sartin,Lily Mildred Sartin,William H Sartin and Phyllis E B Sartin
1950 at 110 Upper meadow Rd
1955-1960 at 110 Upper meadow Rd
Harry J Sartin,Lily Mildred Sartin,Norman L Sartin and Ivy V Sartin

1945 Jane Sartin was living with daughter Annie and her husband Reginald Brace Underwood at 61 Selsey Road

HJ & LM were my Grandparents,WH was my Dad,Phyllis my Mother,Norman & Ivy my aunt and uncle.
Don't know who Jane is Yet :)
Thanks for all that ladylinda

Back