• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Thank you’s for help

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all went well today our Miriam Banner will have some good news to ad tomorrow. All down to this forum but I will let her tell you the details. I can't wait to hear myself. Jean.

On this thread I've already expressed my gratitude to all the wonderful people on this forum that have helped me find long lost family and ancestors. I'm sure that there are many other people on here that are truly thankful of all your help even though they do sometimes forget to say thank you. I'm sorry if some of you feel "used" but I think it's more like others take things for granted, not realising how much work and effort is put in by you members to help other people. I would urge you people not to get discouraged by the lack of or the forgetting of gratitude it's just that willingness to help without demanding reward that makes you and this forum THE BEST!

Now you may wonder why I'm not on the forum so much these days but that is because I've used up most of my Birmingham history knowledge and also through the net I've now found world wide many hundreds of old and new cycling friends. Needless to say keeping in touch with all these people is proving to be a full-time job but I do love to drop in here and see what you lot are up to.

Thank you all and I do love you, Graham.

Nice to hear from you again Graham When you coming over to see us again?

I'd love to get over and see you all again and I've even bought the ideal car for long distance travel but these last two years my wife's health has been very unstable making it impossible to get away for more than a day. The cause of her problems seems to have been BP medication that didn't suit her, she is now recovering. Sorry if this is off thread but I feel so rude not replying.

I'd love to get over and see you all again and I've even bought the ideal car for long distance travel but these last two years my wife's health has been very unstable making it impossible to get away for more than a day. The cause of her problems seems to have been BP medication that didn't suit her, she is now recovering. Sorry if this is off thread but I feel so rude not replying.

Thanks for the reply Graham. Hope your wife makes a very quick recovery.
Sorry for wondering off thread.

Just been wondering if I've always said 'thank you' for all the help given freely and enthusiastically by people on this forum. I have always tried to do so, but if I have failed anywhere - a BIG thank you. This forum is successful because people care. They care about our past and are putting in place a great record for the future. OK so there may be a few people who abuse this, but mostly people on here seem to have a pride in their Birmingham connections, enjoy discussing it and want it to be remembered. So the occasional gentle reminder here, in my view, about saying 'thanks' is justified in order to preserve this. By doing so we show that we are not taking for granted the hard work which all the people put in to make this forum work so well. Thanks to all. Viv.

Hello all

I hope my message isn't taken the wrong way by the majority of the wonderful people on here :) It was intended for the very FEW. It just goes to show that the people who have come on here and messaged are the ones who don't need to be reminded about manners - it comes automatically to them, like breathing:) It should come as no surprise therefore that the few it was intended for didn't! Perhaps that's because this thread is of no interest to them unless it pertains to what they need/want to know. Afterall, I believe this forum is about our love of history and sharing and caring for others.

Just in case I have ever forgotten to say thank you for the help I have received:

THANKS to all:)

Suzanne

I can say this now as the person I know has visited the forum obtained freely what they wanted and gone. Well all I can say it is their loss. Jean.

hi postie and members
i may be a little slow on this matter but i was only thinking this morning that some-one hi jacked the forum and stole all of our pics ;and now thanks to certain members they are all coming back out of the wood work so to speak
which is fantasic ; need i say no more ; only just to say a big thank you to all our hard working members of the team and the certain members whom are reproducing suchwonderful and memorable pics of the golden years ;
i say a big thank you to you all and a bigger thanks to jim and hillary for there intervension and hard work behind the scenes ;; astonian

Well said Astonian, especially to Jim Hilary and the team and all the wonderful photo posters - as a "newer" member, some of the pics are new to me and I have had great fun trying to work out where they are now,as have mom and dad who really enjoy all the pics and posts.
So once again, thanks to everyone who contributes in whatever way to the forum long may it last!
Sue

I would like to say thank you to all those that have helped me or shown interest in my posts it has meant a great deal to me I have found a member of my family on this forum I hope to get to know her , so THANK YOU

That's good to hear calibra. Do keep posting your memories and I hope all goes well with your new found family member. Viv.

I would like to endorse all of the positive feedback from previous posts regarding a well deserved "thank you" to all of the volunteers that have contributed to this site. I live 12,000 miles away in Australia so without the help of people from this site my research into our family tree would have been even more difficult than it has been. I would also like to add that my mother is 98 years of age and now a permanent resident of a local nursing home, I visit her twice weekly and she eagerly devours all of the bits of news and information regarding our family tree, much of that has been gleaned from this site. On behalf of our family here in Australia a collective thank you once more.

Snowball, Kentlyn Australia.

Hello to all my fellow Brummies,
This site must never be left to fade. It has now developed into one hudge history book about real Brummies and real Birmingham
I have worked all the world and now have a Geordie family, people outside Brum can never seem to get past the accent and most of them confuse that with the Black Country accent.
The real Brummie helped to develope my values in life, the way I treat others and how Itackle problems in life. Still proud to be a Brummie. Regards Mike.

Thanks Mike its nice to know that there are still people who appreciate us, many thanks.
Jim

I've been sitting trying to think of something clever to say about the pleasure of following this forum
When it all boils down it comes back to a simple thank you for the effort taken by those who share their time so generously.
So thank you all.
Cheers Tim

Well I owe many thanks for the help I had in finding the name of a scrap yard in Arthur Street, Small Heath, which was Sparkbrook Metals and last week been in contact with one of the owners - and I served my thanks at the time, unfortunately, the other owner has passed away in a car accident on the Wellhead Lane, Birmingham years ago. I pop on and off here every now and again, it's wonderful especially bringing back memories, so thanks for that too. I was fortunate to help someone on here when I first joined when I saw the name John Houghton (on FB) looking for Dorothy, who had a daughter called Dorothy who live off a road few roads away from the bus route. I knew it was my mom and oldest sister, as a child we thought they were our relatives and many a time stayed with them until I was about 8/9yrs old, but I never forgot Aunt Ethel, her hair was so beautiful and her home was full of fun and loads of kids, including us 4. So hopefully one day I can help someone else. Cheers Pat x

hello pat glad you enjoy the forum...its aways nice to be able to help people and glad you were able to help john houghton he is a smashing chap and always willing to help others including myself:)

lyn

Ha ha. I'm surprised remembering as it was 60 years ago. Mom and Aunt Ethel were clippies on the trams and I have crinkled photo of mom in her uniform.

It's happened again, a site popping up again after lying dormant for a couple years I just love this aspect. The down side however is when you realize that you haven't seen some of the old posters for sometime.
I'm no chicken myself and having just taken on a rescue dog at the age of 80 ( me not him !) it has been brought home to me that I'm maybe not as young as I kid myself. Glad to say it seems to be a win, win situation.
Before I'm accused of wandering off topic could we maybe just say a bit like " Still here ".
Just a thought, Cheers Tim

Tim,

I'm a year ahead of you at 81, but there are several older than me contributing regularly. We can only bash on regardless! :)

Maurice

Pat Sattar-Jennings, post: 624679, member: 81356" I owe many thanks to all on here, for the help they gave, in finding the name of a scrap yard in Arthur Street, Small Heath, which was Sparkbrook Metals & Machinery, corner of Coventry Road, opposite the Blues football ground. Now in contact with one of the owners, Dennis Beech, who said he helped George Cullen set it up, sadly George was killed in car accident on the Wellhead Lane. I I was able to help John Houghton, on here, looking for Dorothy, who had a daughter called Dorothy who live off a road few roads away from the bus route. I knew it was my mom and oldest sister, as a child we thought they were our relatives and many a time stayed with them until I was about 8/9yrs old, but I never forgot Aunt Ethel, her hair was so beautiful and her home was full of fun and loads of kids, including us 4. So hopefully one day I can help someone else.

Thank you Pat, your posting means a lot to us all, it makes all the difference to know that what we do is worthwhile.
from the team...

hi folks i am bringing this thread to the top again as a little reminder that when asking for our help it goes a long way if members could give us a please and or thank you...just lately we have had a lot of new members join us and this is fantastic but it has been noticed that there are quite a few asking for help with their family research or old photos... making their first post reading something like this..."looking for info on william smith born 1886"no please no thank you...primarily this is a history site but we also like to help members who have hit brick walls after doing their own research first...you would be surprised at just how many join this forum hoping we will do all of their research for them instead of having a bash themselves before coming to us then when they have got what they want from our kind hearted members we dont see them again. :mad:..i was bought up with the saying manners go a long way and they cost nowt...

thanks folks

lyn

Well said Lyn.
Also it is helpful when members ask for help with family members that they only use one thread.
In the past we have had members asking the same question on surname, street name , workplace etc.

i agree alberta...posting about the same topic on multiple threads only gives us moderators more work to do in trying to run a steady neat and tidy ship...we all give our free time willingly because we love this forum but by the same token we all have our own lives to live .. i dont think everyone realises just how much work goes on behind the scenes..i didnt until i became a moderator :rolleyes: but one thing i do know is that without jim..warren and the staff this forum would not exist..long may it continue through its great members:)

lyn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back