• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Thank you’s for help

Status
Not open for further replies.

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
There are a lot of people on this site who go the extra mile when helping other members , especially when it comes to look ups and genealogy questions. These people are willing to do this and they don't get paid for it but it would be very nice, if you have been helped, to make the effort to say " Thank You ".
It costs nowt but means an awful lot.:handshake:

i totally agree with .... postie that manners cost nothing and with out the help of some great members they may never find out something's they have probably been searching for for a long time
if they can find time to post to ask for look ups then it does no harm what so ever to give a big thankyou in return

Last edited by a moderator:
What a timely reminder,Postie, I am in awe of the great help that the kind folk on this site have given to me in the past. I for one am indebted to one & all who have given their time to do a lookup/advise etc to help me go forward in my ever growing search for family history. I am truly grateful & would hope that I have always taken the time to say " Thank You" !

THANK YOU,
Margaret.

Well said Jim. This gets up my my nose more then anything. People join this great forum find out what they want about their family for free and they've gone.:(

Totally agree! The very least you can do is a Thankyou to show how much the help is appreciated. It's common courtesy anyway.

I totally agree too!

I have recieved so much help from members on this site that I sometimes feel guilty as I never seem to be able to do much in return. But hopefully I have always remembered to say thank you and the people that have helped me know how grateful I am.
Polly :)

Regretably the time we live in. I am reminded of the recent thread "is it just me" and it is clear the lack of manners in not confined to retail outlets but the wider population. This is a timely reminder as the research is often time consuming and dependant upon subscription to expensive geneology sites. A thank you takes but seconds to post and means so much to those that have helped.

I have had so much help from others on the site for which I am really grateful, as the site I have membership of for ancestry does not have 1911 access. The members of this site have given my mom and dad great pleasure too, with the pics and comments they post, so much so that my dad is remembering things from his childhood, enabling me to get loads more family info to pass on to my children, and I really can't say thank you to you all enough and findit amazing that people can be so rude that they don't acknowledge this help.
So once again, thanks to all of you!!

Well said Frothy. I have told friends about the forum and am afraid a couple of them came on, found out what they wanted then disappeared into thin air. I would like to thank the forum members from the day I joined for making me feel at home firstly and after that for all the information regarding my family tree, finding a lost cousin, sorry and a lost second cousin and many other things. Someone helped to unravel a murder in Pete's family and that is still on going. It would take me ages to name them all and I would be afraid in case I left anyone out. A big thank you to you all. Jean.

I find this topic common to a lot of forums I visit. People make one inquiring post , get all the info they need and disappear without a goodbye or thank you. I spend alot of time, and I enjoy it, trawling the web in the hope I can discover something which will be of help to someone. It gives me a real kick to succeed and receive a simple thank you.
This forum like many others have members with a fantastic collective knowledge and memory. Its use is free and should not be abused. Thank you is only eight letters and a space. I do not even expect major case letters so its not to much of an effort.

I am orf to bed in a mo but I will post on here in the morning. Richard I just wrote to you on your profile and pressed the wrong button and deleted it so will try again in the morning. This is going to be a long thread I am sure. Jean.

Hya All I thank everyone who has helped my in the past. I have been popping in to the forum at night just to browse quickly and keep up with the news, however I have not done a scarper. It is that life has not been good for me for quite a while now. Life is going to be very different now so I am back albeit slowly. I totally agree with all of the comments but sometimes things happen and we cannot continue to do everything we would like. This is a fantastic forum and lots of lovely people, so I am now going to put my name on the xmas bash list. thank you all again.

Jim, I totally agree with you and we can't thank all those people enough, just look at me I owe them so much for finding my long lost family. Thanks again to al those who help so much,:thumbsup: Graham.

I may only post very occasionally but I do read on a day to day basis (as and when I have the time) most of the messages/topics etc.

I would agree with Postie re the contents of his post.

I see numerous requests for Look Ups for 1911 census and other census, which members graciously spend their time searching and then posting this information.

Members that give this information have paid a subscription in order to give this information freely.

Therefore saving the person requesting this information a considerable amount of money.

It would therefore be courteous to thank them.
Williamjukes.

My thanks always go to the very kind people that help me with my questions and I hope they know how much I appreciate all the help. I do not post that often but I am logged in every day to read every bodies posts. I have always loved this site with all its knowledge and help. So thank you to you all for making a place we all love to visit.

View attachment 59285I dont do the family tree thing but I have had loads of help as you all know lol with solving my computer problems. It has helped me no end and learned me loads as I print all the answers off to keep for reference, so thank you all for the help ( I do say thank you at the time)

Been thinking again:stare: and I would also like to thank members who have spent time making our old photo's look like new and even highlighting individual family members. These are just two of many the later being my dad taken from a large photo of about forty children. Jean.

Sorry to bring this one up to the top again but........

I am continually amazed at the amount of people (quite a lot are recent members) who come on to this site, most likely after hearing how good it is, (quite rightly) and pose queries and or questions, instantly get help, and still NO THANKS!!!!! I don't know about you but this instantly puts me off doing further research. I and lots of others love to help and admittedly we don't do it for the thanks but I'm sure a lot of you were brought up to say your Please and Thankyou. Somehow it makes me feel 'used'

There I feel much better:) (I don't moan that much but it must be one of those days)

THANK YOU for listening:)

Suzanne

I'm not new, but this thread has made it possibly to say another big THANK YOU to all those who have helped me, whether in a large or a small way. It's nice to have a reason to say it (thanks Suzanne for 'moaning'), because I would have had to wait much much longer for the information I have, if it was not for the smashing people on here. Thank you all once again.

Shortie

I always make sure that I say thanks on any thread where I have been helped. Too much grabby grabby in the world today. Life is getting more and more expensive but manners and civility are still free.

Jill

I post answers to questions i am asked and then the thread is not visited for days and even weeks or just disappears so i don`t know if i have been any help, sad!. Len.

Len, when I first joined the forum I posted a reply about an Amy Wassall from her grandson I think. I answered quite a lot of his queries. I had been searching for this lady for a lot of years until I sorted out who she really was and something of her family because she links into my line. I would have love to have known more about the lady's character and spoken to any of her family because they might be able to fill in some gaps for me.

I don't know if he ever came back to see his questions had been answered which is a real shame because he would have probably enjoyed finding out what I could tell him.

Maybe sometime he will come back to it or maybe he just took the information I presented and left.

Some people only take and never give back. I hope that no one on here could ever put me in that box.

Jill

I know what you mean Len,I belong to a genealogy forum for UK which attracts a lot of members from overseas,I answer their queries and get no replies although I know they have been active on the site since I posted.I do it to be helpful but thank you would be nice.
Jill,isn't it annoying ,why ask a question if you do not revisit to find the answer.

It is very satisfying to help people but the ones I am not at all keen on are ones who not only researching their tree but craftily use you as a free way of accessing records so that they can supply the info to others.I have learnt over the years to spot them a mile away.
These are the ones that submit ' lengthy shopping lists' over a few months and you just know from all the different names and places that they are not just asking for members of their family tree.

That said most of the people I help are smashing and I feel happy to have been of assistance. Alberta

Last edited:
I post answers to questions i am asked and then the thread is not visited for days and even weeks or just disappears so i don`t know if i have been any help, sad!. Len.

It is easy to find out if the topics you have posted on have been updated.

1) Assuming you are logged on, go to the top of the home page and you see you name near the top.

2) Click on your name and you see details about yourself.

3) Over on the left see "Find all posts". Click on this. This finds all the posts you have ever made, with the most recent at the top.

4) As well as YOUR last post you can also see who made the last post and when.

5) Click on the blue hyperlinked topic name and you are taken to the topic to see all the most recnet appends.

Amen to everything you say Alberta.

When I first came onto here I asked for help with census entries and was thrilled with the answers I got. I was saving for membership of GR then after a while I took up an offer from them for their platinum membership about £15 off. I love looking up info for people now. I was even more thrilled one day last week when I got in on an answer first. Sounds silly maybe but I just wanted to.

I'm on Freegle too which for anyone who doesn't know what it is, when you have an item that you want to get rid of but it is still perfectly useable, you can advertise it for free to save it going to landfil etc. Likewise if you need an item you can ask if anyone has it to get rid of. Just recently and including today, I've been messed about so much I've seriously wondered why I bother making an effort but I won't stop because I've met some lovely people who have been so glad to have the items I've put on offer on the site.

I can't imagine what this world would be like if we all stopped helping each other.

Jill

There is NO excuse for not saying thank you for help - it only takes a few minutes to type a thank you post - which is much less time than the person giving the help will spend finding the answer/information asked for.
I have received an enormous amount of help from members on this forum and I am sure I always say thank you - but THANK YOU again - you are all wonderful.:)

I love to help and have been helped with photo's from Astoness, Len and Phil, maps and electoral look ups from Mikejee, Shera, Ladylinda for their expertise, MikeG for register info and so many others who I am sorry just can't remember.....age thing. I would also like to thank people for the support as moderators and the help and support I get from other "mods" it's not an easy job and takes up so much time. I just like to know sometimes if what has been found is helpful. I have to say the majority of people always say thank you and some share the info found. I am thrilled when a story unfolds in which we can all share. Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back