• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thank you’s for help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bringing this thread to the top again.
Please try to keep your requests for information about the same subject or person to one thread only ,makes life easier for yourself and those people who search for information for you,Alberta.

Also if it is general information about a street or company, then please first use the search box (click on top right of page where it says search) to see if there is already the photos or information you seek. We would like, as far as possible, to keep similar information together, and not as a messy conglomeration of often duplicated items as occurs on Facebook

Hi guys, newbie here, I have been trying to register for a while now but had some issues but finally I'm on. Many thanks to Jim for sorting this out for me.

a warm welcome to the forum....enjoy:)

lyn

I'm trying to find contact from the 50s and 60s. I was born at 5 Church Road Erdington in 1947. I went to Erdington C of E on the High Street and then to More End Lane SM. Left without any qualifications. But in real life I did OK. I'm looking to contact anyone who was in St Barnabas Choir around 1958 to 1961. Also anyone who was part of Erdington Operatic Society around the same time. I had a brother Paul who was killed after demob. A brother Pete and a brother William (Bill) both now deceased. I still have my sister Lin. I would like to contact anyone who knows any of my family or any of the societies or schools. Thank you.

hi folks not for the first time since i joined this forum i need to say thank you once again...last week we had a new member carol join the forum and after asking a few questions it turns out she is the sister in law of robin one of our old mates from the old end...robin does not use the internet at all so carol passed on my tel number to him...he phoned me the next day and myself and my brother will be meeting up with robin next week..its been about 52 years since we last saw him so a lot to talk about...the amazing thing is he lives very local to me and my brother:rolleyes: so thanks again BHF for coming up trumps we are all so excited

lyn

You are going to have a very interesting meet Lyn

oh we are that mike...as you may recall a couple of years back myself and my brother mark set about trying to trace as many old mates from the old end as we could...after months of searching we felt we had found enough to hold an old end reunion and it was fantastic...but we still had a few on the list that we could not find and robin was one of those mates...never mind we have found him now and hopefully in the near future we will have another reunion...:)

lyn

Hi
oh we are that mike...as you may recall a couple of years back myself and my brother mark set about trying to trace as many old mates from the old end as we could...after months of searching we felt we had found enough to hold an old end reunion and it was fantastic...but we still had a few on the list that we could not find and robin was one of those mates...never mind we have found him now and hopefully in the near future we will have another reunion...:)

lyn

Back to the heading of this thread.
I am afraid that we are getting more and more requests for information with no sign of a Please or Thank you.
Many of these are from new members. Can I explain to new members that most of the answers to members queries come from researchers who pay a lot of money for subscriptions genealogy sites, they help because it is rewarding when a poster finds what they are looking for but it is twice as rewarding to be thanked.

I agree with your comments, Alberta. There are members of the Forum who never cease to amaze me with their knowledge, their ability to use (often expensive) family history resources and their generosity in spending time in digging out and sharing invaluable information.

I think there's a further point of which new members need to be aware. Whilst the Forum is, for the above reason, a very good place to discuss family history matters and share research, genealogy is not the principal reason for its existence. Its main purpose is to add to, make available and preserve Birmingham history in the broadest sense - which obviously includes, amongst much else, the lives of individuals. So, when requesting information about ancestors, members should also try to give something in return - perhaps the reason for the query and a bit of background information about the person being researched, the life he or she lived, the where and so on ....... In that way the Forum's store of information is increased, many members will appreciate what is written and those members who might feel interested and generous enough to offer help are suitably encouraged.

It's these little courtesies that set us apart from other social media platforms whose name we shan't mention!

Chris

Please would members remember when asking for help that our members search for information on their behalf voluntarily. So a simple “please” and “thank you” in posts is a common courtesy we all try to follow.

Thank you for reading this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back