• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Adverts of 1940,1942,1945

:angel: I also get it to 59.1/2d = 4/11 1/2d so sorry Alf I'm with Di on this one. No wonder we BRAgirls don't send the BARmen shopping... we lose out :2funny:

Just to help Alf's arithmentic
4 Farthings = 1 penny
12 pennies - 1 shilling
20 shillings = 1 pound
i.e. 240 pennies in a pound
. :)

Anybody remember trying to do long division on that lot in school?
E.

Thank you Eric I do know that :)

I will now say sorry to Di and Chris :( they are right but in my defence I had not looked at the advert on page 1 :mad: with myself. Hope the Bar lads will forgive me for playing into the hands of the Bra wimin :eek:n second thoughts that sounds nice ;D

It's ok Alfie, you were getting your d's and p's mixed up. ::)

Seeing the advert for Ovaltine, we used to be able to buy Ovaltine tablets, we treated them like lollipops :)

Thank you Di ;) Oh yes Ovaltine tablets yes I remember them, nice memories

Used to go and get my Dads Fags in the 40s 3d for 10 I was not tempted, age 16 today don't stop anything :)

Just in case you can't read the writing of the next advert this is what the captions under each day say:
MONDAY: Sandwichs filled with mixture of cold mashed potato, grated cheese, chutney and chopped fresh parsley. Lettuce. Jam turnover.
TUESDAY: Turnover filled with mixture of chopped cooked beans, melted cheese, and chopped parsley, tomato. Raw cabbage salad in a screw top jar. Chocolate pinwheels.
WEDNESDAY: Potato scones filled with scrambled dried eggs, cooked mixed vegetables, and chopped parsley. Watercress. Prune dumplings.
THURSDAY: Rissoles made with cooked meat, cooked beans and mashed potato. Raw spinach and lettuce. Fruit turnovers.
FRIDAY: Soup. Sandwichs filled with scrambled dried eggs, mashed potato and chopped fried bacon. Radishes or tomatos. Lettuce.
SATURDAY: Turnover filled with sausage meat, cooked dried peas, herbs, parsley and chopped leek or onion. Raw cabbage salad in a screw top jar. Oatmeal scones and jam.

Loisand Two ads from Our Empire April 1944 and a patriotic advert for Greys Fags which was on the back cover.Bottom pic shows Suffolk St on the left and John Bright Street on the right 1946c and Greys Cigs. Ad. on the building in the middle

Thankyou Cromwell good to see the input, only jossing  :2funny:  :2funny:
                                                                 :flower: :cat:

O0

Turf Cigarette ad.the inner sleeve had picture which we use to collect on the packets that slid open (unlike the flip top packs)

Great Picture's Cromwell, My cousin told me my grandmother smoked cigarettes called Passing Cloud has anyone heard of these.

My Dad's first job was a window dresser for Players cigarettes he used to install the illuminated signs.

Moma P I do remember Passing Clouds and about 100 others which I used to collect when a kid.
Here is a neat Bourn-Vita ad

Back