• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Adverts of 1940,1942,1945

Ioisand I couldn't even ask for it in a chemist :2funny:

yep I've got plenty to keep you going, just got to find the time to scan them and try and remember to downsize them abit. How do I get more than 1 picture onto a post to save a bit of space
:flower: :cat:

Loisand, press Browse for the first and then before you post press 'more attachments' for the second and subsequent attachments. They all load and them you post them all together O0

Great adverts, my dad took Carter's Little Liver Pills, much easier to say. I can remember all the others :)

Carters Little Liver Pills averts on Radio Luxembourg 8)

I can only bring to mind the advert "Are you too fat - too fat - too fat?? Take Ford Pills, Ford Pills, Ford Pills" - well it kept you active, so to speak :)

120 for 3/9 =19p it looks cheap but what was the average wage?

Alfie those were for the lads in the War, the earlier advert was 81/2d for 10. I think my dad earned about £3.00 a week in the 40's. He smoked 10 a day.

For the week then Di 11/11p. Thats quite a bit out of the Household budget Hey :)

Di was it 8 and one half penny so if 7x 8 are 56 and 7 x 1 Half penny is 3 and a half penny's is 7 =59 and a half penniy's or 11s and 11p. :)

alfie, in old lsd 50d was 4s 2d or 4 x 12 = 48 + 2. So 7x8 = 56 + 7x1/2 = 591/2d = 4s 111/2d - I think :-\

Back