• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising on the bus

Robert Ensor (bob)

master brummie
I love looking at all these old pics of both the buses and trams.
One thing I enjoy are the adds looking to see if I know the product or store etc.
This has made me think of what does/did it cost for a add.
How much is this add revenue helped support the operating cost of the bus system.
Then of course along with the fares and add revenue also the renting of the odd special has the system been self supporting.
Last question for now when I went to school there would be a double decker that went from Colmers Farm to the Lickey terminus, and most of the time there where 3 or 4 of us on that huge bus who would bear the cost of that ?.

I love looking at all these old pics of both the buses and trams.
One thing I enjoy are the adds looking to see if I know the product or store etc.
This has made me think of what does/did it cost for a add.
How much is this add revenue helped support the operating cost of the bus system.
Then of course along with the fares and add revenue also the renting of the odd special has the system been self supporting.
Last question for now when I went to school there would be a double decker that went from Colmers Farm to the Lickey terminus, and most of the time there where 3 or 4 of us on that huge bus who would bear the cost of that ?.
The cost of your school transport was borne by the education department, and still is today but nowadays the rules are much stricter about who is allowed free transport to School. With regard to advertising, the trams always had it and I believe it was considered to work well. The bulk of the adverts were not paper based, but were metal like the ones around railway stations and only changed if the advertiser disappeared or stopped paying. I remember when they started to advertise on the buses, the argument was that there was income to be earned from it. In those days the advertiser paid for the advert and the advertising agency would pay the transport department for showing the advert. If you remember London buses they ran adverts for years on their buses including two on the front either side of the destination blind, often for the magazine Everbodys. I know that some members have access to newspapers of the fifties, the adverts first appeared after I think I finished my National Service which was 1956, but don't hold me to that in one of my treasured books (my description) referred to by my wife of almost sixty years as rubbish (I have told her when I have shuffled off, do not throw them out put them on ebay) I am sure the actual date is given. E'en as I write, I have no doubt that great fount of knowledge Alan is looking it up for me. But the answer to your question is that they don't cost the displayed a dime.
Bob

The cost of your school transport was borne by the education department, and still is today but nowadays the rules are much stricter about who is allowed free transport to School. With regard to advertising, the trams always had it and I believe it was considered to work well. The bulk of the adverts were not paper based, but were metal like the ones around railway stations and only changed if the advertiser disappeared or stopped paying. I remember when they started to advertise on the buses, the argument was that there was income to be earned from it. In those days the advertiser paid for the advert and the advertising agency would pay the transport department for showing the advert. If you remember London buses they ran adverts for years on their buses including two on the front either side of the destination blind, often for the magazine Everbodys. I know that some members have access to newspapers of the fifties, the adverts first appeared after I think I finished my National Service which was 1956, but don't hold me to that in one of my treasured books (my description) referred to by my wife of almost sixty years as rubbish (I have told her when I have shuffled off, do not throw them out put them on ebay) I am sure the actual date is given. E'en as I write, I have no doubt that great fount of knowledge Alan is looking it up for me. But the answer to your question is that they don't cost the displayed a dime.
Bob
I thought the cost of the bus was paid by the school system, the strange thing it was only after school had finished for the day you had to walk to school, the ride was not free but is was cheap as I said most times there was only 3 or 4 kids on it, but the driver never hung around if you got out of class late by a few minutes the bus would be gone

I thought the cost of the bus was paid by the school system, the strange thing it was only after school had finished for the day you had to walk to school, the ride was not free but is was cheap as I said most times there was only 3 or 4 kids on it, but the driver never hung around if you got out of class late by a few minutes the bus would be gone
In Cornwall most School buses (not College) are in service when they cover the School runs so are still required to adhere to the timetable.

I remember that from the age of thirteen you had to have a scholars pass to allow you to travel at the child's rate. This had to be shown if an inspector checked your ticket even if you were travelling in school uniform.
Advertising was also on the back of the tickets and I can remember one for ...........? Comptometers which for some sad reason amused me as a lad.

I remember that from the age of thirteen you had to have a scholars pass to allow you to travel at the child's rate. This had to be shown if an inspector checked your ticket even if you were travelling in school uniform.
Advertising was also on the back of the tickets and I can remember one for ...........? Comptometers which for some sad reason amused me as a lad.
Burroughs comptometers
Bob

Back