• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
The advert gives Malins (Engineers) Ltd as 25-31 Camden Street and they were situated there in at least 1950. Mamod appears as the name of the Model, but now the Company has become Mamod Ltd in Smethwick.

“Welcome to Official Website for Mamod, the home of British Engineering. We have been manufacturing Mamod live steam models since 1936. Based in Birmingham, Mamod continues to produce a high quality steam engines as it did when it was first established by Geoffrey Malins, right here in the West Midlands. Although the Mamod range has expanded vastly since those early years, it still produces engines with all the passion and quality engineering that was first seen during those founding years of Mamod.”

The clip gives the formation of a new Company, Malins (Engineers) Ltd, in 1939.

0FE616BC-8AF6-4BC1-8663-E6909BFC351E.jpeg

Here are a couple of advertisements that would not make it these days.

Attachments

• Wake Up Gay 001.jpg
    Wake Up Gay 001.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Chesterfield Cigarettes 001.jpg
    Chesterfield Cigarettes 001.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 45
Not sure whether this one has been posted before, but the advertisement, courtesy of the Evening Despatch, and the product, courtesy of the Science Museum

Maurice

Attachments

• Thermogene.jpg
    Thermogene.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 37
  • Thermogene2.jpg
    Thermogene2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 34
These bring back a few memories especially the hairdressers at Lewises. They used to have little animal shaped chairs for the children. Jean.

Substitute image as originals lost

View attachment 117350
Looking at the first post on this thread I don't know what year it was referring to but members may be interested in this picture from 1951 of my wife visiting Father Christmas at Lewis's department store.

Attachments

• IMG_20180322_0001.jpg
    IMG_20180322_0001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
This thread to me is quite fascinating. Seeing all the old printed adverts from days gone by is brilliant. I have a small collection of advertising figures and in due course I'll take a few photos and post them on here. Meanwhile here's a few to be going on with.035.JPG 035.JPG 065.JPG 035.JPG 065.JPG

Attachments

• 071.JPG
    071.JPG
    982.7 KB · Views: 16
Tripe can still be purchased, usually only from a traditional butcher. I have not seen it in any supermarket but of course it may be available in them in some areas of the UK.

Never tried it and usually up for trying most foods, but I think I will give tripe a miss. Agreed looks most unappetising.
Wasn't there a cartoon strip character in one of the daily newspapers in the 60s centred around some tripe works, and singing the virtue's of tripe called the Fosdyke saga. Dailey Mirror or Express perhaps?

I remember tripe being a popular dish in the thirties, and forties. Quite often with onions, but my grandfather, in those days, ate it cooked in milk. If fact I also ate some tripe in those days. It was put on my plate, and I accepted it........not by choice though. Did not do me much harm.......still here !! Into more exotic foods these days.

Too much choice now, which is good, but for many a family in those far off days, tripe was an accepted part of the daily food diet.

Eddie

I think that's how my mom used to cook it, tripe and onions, cooked in milk. I must have tried it, but I think it was the smell that put me off.

It did make a bit of a comeback a few years ago as a trendy gastronomic dish, but not for me.

Did anyone ever have boney pie? I was told about this when I lived in a little mining village in South Derbyshire. You place a few pork bones, a pig’s tail or a trotter on a tin plate, some water then cover it with pastry and bake it.

It sounded as if it would turn out like a pork pie with pastry, jelly and hardly any meat.

I think that's how my mom used to cook it, tripe and onions, cooked in milk. I must have tried it, but I think it was the smell that put me off.

It did make a bit of a comeback a few years ago as a trendy gastronomic dish, but not for me.

Did anyone ever have boney pie? I was told about this when I lived in a little mining village in South Derbyshire. You place a few pork bones, a pig’s tail or a trotter on a tin plate, some water then cover it with pastry and bake it.

It sounded as if it would turn out like a pork pie with pastry, jelly and hardly any meat.

Oxtail stew. Now there was another staple of our family. Mom used to make it with a real ox tails, none of your trendy tinned stuff, and we'd sit holding them at each end, nibbling the meat off. Such haute cuisine!

Regards, Ray T.

As promised in my previous post here's a few pictures of just some of my advertising collection002.JPG 002.JPG some of my Guinness stuff 003.JPG The Fairy Baby and Yardley soap004.JPG William Youngers Beer and The Sherry Girl (But do you know what brand of Sherry?)005.JPG Some Sweetie brands006.JPG Finally Penguin Books, Phillips Stick-a-sole and the Bisto Kids.
Hope you like them.

What a lovely collection! Thanks for posting them.
I have a Babycham (deer?) but I broke it's leg yesterday with the fluffy duster.

I'm sorry you've had an accident with your Babycham. Here's mine with my Hovis boy and my Penguin Biscuit Bird.007.JPG

I love oxtail, I cook an oxtail stew on a regular basis. Carrots, celery and onions with pearl barley, proper comfort food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back