• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have reduced then down after running some experiments. But it's a closed case really since without them there is no site.

for reference the ad revenue pays for the costs of running the server without them there is no site.

the costs of running the server come out of my own pocket as the site is too big to run on the cloud it uses over 150gb with nearly a tb of traffic being used every month.

the money raised in donations pays for licenses and hardware when it needs replacing.

you may not like the ads and are of course free to use a blocker but you can white list this site and click the occasional ad to help it stay online.

if everyone who came on here used an ad blocker there would be no site period.

donations are not even enough to cover the licenses myself and my Dad (Postie) already take money out of our own pocket to ensure the sites survival.

We are not the BBC we are not fully funded by the tax payer im glad everyone enjoys using the site ect but this is an argument that really involves only two people myself and postie.

Clicking on an ad costs you nothing no baby pandas die when you do it and there are worse things at sea.

neither the ads or donations combined cover the full costs of this site.

this site is on 24/7 365 days of the year and sometimes for me it's a second job that ends up costing me money to work for it.

for reference the ad revenue pays for the costs of running the server without them there is no site.

the costs of running the server come out of my own pocket as the site is too big to run on the cloud it uses over 150gb with nearly a tb of traffic being used every month.

the money raised in donations pays for licenses and hardware when it needs replacing.

you may not like the ads and are of course free to use a blocker but you can white list this site and click the occasional ad to help it stay online.

if everyone who came on here used an ad blocker there would be no site period.

donations are not even enough to cover the licenses myself and my Dad (Postie) already take money out of our own pocket to ensure the sites survival.

We are not the BBC we are not fully funded by the tax payer im glad everyone enjoys using the site ect but this is an argument that really involves only two people myself and postie.

Clicking on an ad costs you nothing no baby pandas die when you do it and there are worse things at sea.

neither the ads or donations combined cover the full costs of this site.

this site is on 24/7 365 days of the year and sometimes for me it's a second job that ends up costing me money to work for it.

thanks for making that perfectly clear warren...i have had members tell me that they did not even realise that the forum runs on donations this is because its not pushed in their faces..i think that because its free to join many think its free to run..not so...the donate button is there and if members want to hit it and donate that is great...no pressure but when it comes to your dad and yourself having to subsidise the dwindling donations that is not quite fair..quite a few times at our meet ups i have said to your dad he must let members know when funds are low so that we can rally round but of course he wont do that...to lose a site of this size and what it does for the history of birmingham would be tragic ......this is not me with a begging bowl out but just trying to inform members who do not know that to run a site of this size and keep it secure does cost money to run.....thanks folks

lyn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back