• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Adolescent unit, Hollymoor Hospital

Rentaghost

Hi there, I am trying to find information with regards to a secure adolescent unit, which im pretty sure was on the grounds of Hollymoor Hospital, Birmingham. I think it was a barracks looking building with a high security fence around it. My brother was sent there late 70s early 80s, we used to visit him once a week. He had to stay there until he was 16 then he was sent on to another place in Bromsgrove until he was almost 18. It wasnt a young offenders place as far as i know, He really struggled with school and bullied and when he refused to go to school they sent him there. Ive looked online and searched everywhere i can think of but cannot find anything about it or any pictures, I have asked my mom but shes elderly now and im not sure if she just refuses to think about it or genuinely doesnt remember. Any light on this would really help, Its just a traumatic experience that i would just like some answers and info on. Apologies if the info seems vague but i was a kid and it was all a bit hush hush and never spoken about to me, this is all what i remember about it. Many thanks in advance :)

Hi Rentaghost - there certainly was an Adolescent Unit - I was in it for a short while as a day patient! - but I don't know anything about a secure unit. The place I remember was an annexe to the main hospital- all very 1960's in design and just full of rather lost and mixed-up teenagers like myself. Here's a link that has some memories of the adolescent unit:

Hope you find some peace and some answers to your questions.

All the best

J

Hi there, I am trying to find information with regards to a secure adolescent unit, which im pretty sure was on the grounds of Hollymoor Hospital, Birmingham. I think it was a barracks looking building with a high security fence around it. My brother was sent there late 70s early 80s, we used to visit him once a week. He had to stay there until he was 16 then he was sent on to another place in Bromsgrove until he was almost 18. It wasnt a young offenders place as far as i know, He really struggled with school and bullied and when he refused to go to school they sent him there. Ive looked online and searched everywhere i can think of but cannot find anything about it or any pictures, I have asked my mom but shes elderly now and im not sure if she just refuses to think about it or genuinely doesnt remember. Any light on this would really help, Its just a traumatic experience that i would just like some answers and info on. Apologies if the info seems vague but i was a kid and it was all a bit hush hush and never spoken about to me, this is all what i remember about it. Many thanks in advance :)
Hi I was there in 1974 as a patient. Dr Irwin was in charge. I don't remember a fence it was a more modern block than the rest of the hospital

I was their around 1978 , yes it was in the grounds of Hollymoor, but dont think it had a high security fence. We were allowed to go out when we wanted. The school was also in the grounds of the hospital, teachers were MARY - PHIL - TONY - . I went their from a childrens home in Blackwell/Bromsgrove THE UPLANDS. Staff at the adolescent unit and the school were Brilliant - I was genuinely sad to leave.

Hi I worked there for 6 months in 1980. It was a modern building separate to the hospital itself and I have fond memories of the place. It was run by Dr Irwin with Dr's Ziggy and Knight. The nursing team I worked with were, Maureen, Paul Fitzgibbon, Claire, Freddie and Betty Green. I left to undertake general nurse training but remember my time there fondly.

Back