• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

adelaide pub

A

angeleyes

does anyone remember the adelaide pub it stood on the corner of vauxhall rd nechells, i use to go around with the owners daughter bev capewell. her dads name was horace capewell he sometimes use to run the midlands pub to when the lanlord was on holidays. i bet kandor remembers it to.i always fetched my dads beer in a bottle from the outdoor. i miss every bit of those times . god bless mary

the Adelaide.

Yes Mary, of course I remember it, it stood on the corner of Vauxhall Rd and Erskine St.
I used to fetch Moms beer from the 'Off Licence' and they used to put little bits of tape over the tops to prevent you having the odd sip..(I hated the taste anyway which is why Mom sent me)
Billy Sabin lived right next to it...and just behind lived the Cuesons.
We lived 50 yards away and the Gregory's and Kimberleys just down Erskine St.
I dont know the date it closed down but I do know we played in it when it was derelict..
In those days they just burned the wood and broke the tiles etc.
Sad really to think of all that beautiful Oak and suchlike going up in smoke..
Be good Mary..
Les

hi kandor i knew billy sabin and his wife sylvia do you know what happened to them. and the kimberlys. mary .

Hi Kandy I went to Bloomsbury with a girl named Carol Cuesons, was she one of that family? Your older sisters may have know her as she would be about 5 years older than you. :)

The White House Pub

Today I called in to The White House Pub on New John Stret West
posh Hockley end, went to meet my old mate not seen for 38 yeers
when we were both 17, found out he has run the joint for 3 years now,
John Dolphin is his name, a true Summer Lane lad ex Moorsom St,
It was his Birthday so I had to buy him a pint (Shandy & 2 straws).
The Pub has a nice friendly almost old fashioned "Brummie" feel to it
Built in 1837 its heritage is beyond question & a place to peruse the
many old pictures he has hung around while you sip of the good beer,
Real ale drinkers take note, this has a good mention in despatches.
Heh this is no advert, I had a good couple of hours with a long lost
mate in a good local pub, so if your passing,,, don,t, Ok
Best Regards & Cheers to All Re John

The White House Pub

Talking today to my sister (82y.o.) about this site,and in particular your posting John, she was able to recall that my dad would take me into the White House at Xmas time, stand me on a table, and I would sing "The Little Boy that Santa Claus Forgot" !!!
The resulting collection would keep Dad in booze for that day. :lol:
I didn't mind, I was 4 y.o at the time :!: :!: :iccle-angel:
This is going back to around 1936, when we lived in a back house just across the road, in Unett St.
I aim to call in and have a pint the next time I am in the area. :wink:

Hello Mary, unfortunately Billy Sabin passed away about 18 months ago, a rough diamond but I liked him.
l

Back