• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Addresses On Banns And Marriage Certificates

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
Can anyone explain why on a number of notice of Banns and Marriage Certificates for the mid 19th Century, a number of brides and grooms both live at the same address? This has occurred for a number of my distant relatives and also in the case of one or two of my wife's family. Were they already living together? or was it just an easy and idle escape for the clerk?
Bob

Because you both had to reside in the same parish , if one didn't they both gave the address of which of them did.

Because you both had to reside in the same parish , if one didn't they both gave the address of which of them did.

as happened with my own mom and dad alberta:Dand and a few other rellies as well

lyn

If the couple lived in different parishes there would be fees to pay in both churches as the banns would have to be called in both parishes. The old trick if you wanted to get married in a particular church was to leave a suitcase with some of your clothes in it with a friend who lived in the parish and then claim to be living there.

Back