• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Address on a gravestone?

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Hi,

I am researching memorial windows in our church (St Michael's, Boldmere). The church was almost all destroyed by a fire in the mid-1960's and rebuilt. However, many of the memorial windows could not be saved and only those in the south aisle remain. I have copies of records of the others but no details of the contents or much about those commemorated.

All those remembered by the windows are buried in the churchyard and I am trying to piece together a little about the history of these people (many were young). I have found MI's for most of them so far and will continued to look for the others. As with many churchyards, some stones have been removed unfortunately.

One, however, puzzles me. It has the usual wording but mentions an address. I haven't come across this before, has anyone else?

The inscription reads 'Elizabeth Baker of 114 Victoria Road, Aston'. Joseph Baker is also buried in the same plot and was 10 year younger. Her memorial window is intact and the dedication reads 'To the Glory of God and in loving memory of Elizabeth Baker a devoted wife and mother interred in this churchyard 30/3/1892.

I have looked on Findymypast etc.to check the censuses but with no success. Joseph appears to have lived to 1928 and died in Summer Lane, Birmingham.

Sorry this is a bit long but any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks

I have found this in the deaths in Birmingham Daily Post (Birmingham, England), Tuesday, March 29, 1892

Attachments

• baker_29_march_1892.JPG
    baker_29_march_1892.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 73
One, however, puzzles me. It has the usual wording but mentions an address. I haven't come across this before, has anyone else?

I don't know how unusual it is but here in Cheshire I found a memorial to a Father and two daughters in 24 Croxteth Ave Litherland Liverpool, ("Killed by enemy action").

Would this be the family? 
1891 at 62, Smith Street, Birmingham
Joseph Baker, aged 41 born 1850 Rowley, Butcher
Elizabeth Baker, Wife aged 40 born 1851 Shropshire
Robert M Baker, Son aged 18 born 1873 Birmingham Butcher
Margaret E Morris aged 15 born 1876 Shrewsbury, Dressmaker
Marriages Sep 1892
Joseph Baker married Ellen Bodin or Ellen Morley

1901 at 181, Summer Lane, Birmingham
Joseph Baker, aged 52 born 1849 Black Heath, Butcher
Ellen Baker, Wife aged 44 born 1857 Aston, Fancy Draper
Nellie V Baker, Daughter aged 7 born 1894 Aston,
Gladys L Baker, Daughter aged 6 born 1895 Birmingham,
Caroline Brecknell, Servant aged 25 born 1876 Birmingham, Domestic Servant

1911 at 170 Summer Lane Birmingham
Joseph Baker, aged 63 born 1848 Black Heath Butcher
Ellen Baker, Wife aged 55 born 1856 Ashted
Nellie Victoria Baker, Daughter aged 17 born 1894 Junor Clerk Aston
Gladys Louisa Baker, Daughter aged 16 born 1895 Summer Lane, Sketch And Designer at Silversmiths
Married 18 years
Joseph of 170 Summer Lane died 5[SUP]th[/SUP] September 1928 and probate was granted to Walter Woollerton, Gentleman (£542)
Walter Woollerton was a baker and confectioner living in Coleshill Street.

On the death in the newspaper it says 114 Victoria Road, Aston, late of Well Street Birmingham - does that mean in 1892 they had only just moved to Victoria Road from Well Street?

Thank you all so much for the information. I think I will have 'never assume' and 'keep an open mind' on my gravestone! I found Joseph and Elizabeth in 1871 with their age difference (she is 9 years older than him) and then when the ensuing censuses were different I assumed (!) that they were right and they weren't 'mine'.

I also thought that as she was buried in Boldmere, Sutton Coldfield, they must've moved there. Wrong again! Oh Dear!

Robert Morris Baker is living in Handsworth and is a butcher employing others on the 1901 census but by 1911 he is a jobbing gardener in Duke St, Sutton Coldfield. Still doesn't answer the puzzle of why she is buried there and why she has an expensive window dedicated to her in St Michael's. Unfortunately Boldmere ceased to be part of Worcester Diocese in 1905 and transferred to Birmingham. All the applications for faculties (for alterations etc.) have been 'lost in transit' prior to 1905. Maybe they'll turn up during the library move. Fingers crossed.

Am I being horrible or did Joseph marry his second wife with 'unseemly haste'? First wife died in the spring of '92 and by the autumn he is married to the second.

Again, thank you for clearing some of the mist.

Just noticed that I didn't respond to maypolebaz, sorry.

Next to my grandparents' grave is a monument to an Aston Villa player and this tells a story (unfortunately I haven't written it down but will make a note next time I go, which shouldn't be long as it's Mothering Sunday soon). I keep promising myself that I'll spend a while walking round Witton Cemetery and record any unusual ones. The one you spotted certainly tells a sad tale. Thanks for sharing it.

You have also reminded me that some time ago I promised to upload a picture of the cross at the RC cemetery at New Oscott. The remains from St Peter's, Broad Street were re-interred there. I had difficulty - not being very technical myself.

It's amazing what you find, just reading headstones. I was surprised to find two memorials to men who died on Titanic, apart from many other interesting bits of history. Not far from here I found the graves of the cyclist Reg Harris and the wrestler Count Bartelli, (the more senior among us may remember them !).

It's amazing what you find, just reading headstones. I was surprised to find two memorials to men who died on Titanic, apart from many other interesting bits of history. Not far from here I found the graves of the cyclist Reg Harris and the wrestler Count Bartelli, (the more senior among us may remember them !).

I promised to post a picture of the grave of the Aston Villa footballer, buried next to my grandparents. He was Archie Hunter and there is a good write up on Wikipedea and the AV Blog. He was only 35 when he died.

AV1.jpgAV2.jpg

That monument must have cost a fortune in those days. From looking at the background that cemetery looks like it's escaped the vandals. Some of the damage I've seen done to headstones has been heartbreaking.

I promised to post a picture of the grave of the Aston Villa footballer, buried next to my grandparents. He was Archie Hunter and there is a good write up on Wikipedea and the AV Blog. He was only 35 when he died.

View attachment 84946View attachment 84947

I am an Aston Villa supporter (living in London) and also a canal 'walker'. In a couple of weeks my wife and I will be completing walking the Grand Union into Birmingam and whilst there I want to visit Archie Hunter's Grave in Witton Cemetery, Can anyone give me some idea of the location so that we can find it. Thanks in advance.

Witton Cemetery has an office, the staff have maps and should be able to give directions.
Enjoy our Canals!!
rosie.

Witton Cemetery has an office, the staff have maps and should be able to give directions.
Enjoy our Canals!!
rosie.

If you go into the cemetery from the Moor Lane entrance (nearly opposite to the Pub, the Safe Harbour) and follow the road round to the left, you will find the office. The grave is not far from there, on the same road but the office will, as Rosie says, tell you exactly where.

As a postscript to my enquiry I discovered that in 1892 Duke Street, where Elizabeth's son Robert was living, was in the parish of St Michael's which may go some way to explaining why she was buried there.

Back