• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Address number conversion Stirchley

Mike

I agree with all you are saying, but I still find it strange that Stirchley Street is not listed in any edition of a street section of Kelly's or can be found on any map I have seen up to yet. Nor can I find any reference to it as a thoroughfare anywhere except what has been written here.

Phil
Other than the addresses in the suburbs section of Kellys I am in complete agreement. I seem to remember there used to be a stirchley history website some time ago (not the present general one that has a few pictures). Unfortunately it doesn't seem to exist any more.

As a late edition. following Astonian's post. I had not looked at "Streets of Brum", but on looking at it I found the piece pictured below. Carl states that the school was "on Stirchley Street, now called the Pershore Road". This, to me , shows that Carl thought the same as me, that the locals, at least, considered the road to be called Stirchley Street, though he very possibly had no more definite evidence on this than we do.

from_streets_of_brum_pt_5a.jpg

Mike

Please can you convert 1825 Pershore Rd into old money , looking for it in the 1901 census ?

Cotteridge Stores ales & stouts

The present 1825 was 142 Pershore Road, Cotteridge, which was Walter & Mary Flavell in the 1901 census. He is not listed in the 1900 Kellys, but is in the 1903 Kellys , as is Mrs Jane Flavell, dressmaker at the same address

Hi mike /Phil
I Hope You do not mind me interrupting on your thread again have we reached any agreement on this thread but just reflecting
On An Issue looking at the next page in carl,s book on page 81 and as you know before the first world war it was listed as
The High street stirchley but prior it but previously known as stirchley street then renamed pershore red as of today's name
But getting back to the. Paragraph on page 80. They built the new building of the school which was sixteen years later
And was openend. Up by the kings Norton school board by now the strutley was in decline and was not. Given to the new
Faculty,, instead it was called the stirchley street board school
And what I want to suggest well to me looking at the pi ture on the following page which is 81.
The old high street before the war And Phil mentioned. Hazawell street many years back if you came out of that street
And turned left as if going towards. Cotteridge ,then look at the picture what Carl as put on
And look at the pictures emediately on your left hand side of the picture and in realality you was there in back in time
About one hundred and fifty yards you would have been out side the school gates of what we. Are discussing
And in hose days it would have been stirchley school it was still activated for a school through to the sixtys even thou
The original the building was changed from its purpose as I recall it
Also guys if I have still got your Attention for a moment if you read the first couple of lines of content regarding the picture
Naming names the drapers have only been left about eight years back I think ,but what I also wondered as. A queery was the
Named Johnsons , Walter Johnson,, as I recall in the fifths and sixties right up to the virtually ending of the pershore road trading for bussiness
Was another member of Johnsons took over that said and ajoing premise of Mary Vale rd was BobJohnson
Whom was second fjrtiture and antiques I wondered whether he may have been an sibbling from within there family tree
Just short walking back on the opersite side of the road by the first lamp post on the right hand of the picture
Would have been the big green grocers on the corner ,best wishes Alan,,,astonian,,,,

Hi mike I also agree there was about eight years back there was a stirchley site set up but it never really took off
And I would have said entirely it was down to our forum that out shone it and it went down plus I think also due thou did move out from the area as it was flagging
Meaning yet again high street , come what may , pershore red and what started to kill the area was the old yellow lines
Ruining up through the main shopping area to start with and eventually from one end to the lot her of per shore road and up to cotteridge

And as I have said a lot of the older generation died and may I add the flavel family bjrrird in icneild street cemetery Alan,astonian,,,

Today 1825 is Cotteridge Wine in 1911 I believe it was 144 Clara Moorfield brewers manager - in 1908 Kelly's it's Clara at 144 .
c 1825a cotteridge stores1.jpgc 1825 cotteridge stores2.jpgc 1825b Capture.JPG

Mike
Sorry I should have said that in 1921, and presumably after, 1825 and 1823 were a combined site occupied by Percy Cowley, beer retailer. however in 1915 and before they were two separate addresses with Walter Flavell in 142 and (in 1915) beer retailer Clara Moorfield in 144. So I missed out half the building

Mike
Sorry I should have said that in 1921, and presumably after, 1825 and 1823 were a combined site occupied by Percy Cowley, beer retailer. however in 1915 and before they were two separate addresses with Walter Flavell in 142 and (in 1915) beer retailer Clara Moorfield in 144. So I missed out half the building. Though it looks from the first picture that the off licence possibly owned both buildings (from the fact that their advert is plastered over most of both), though presumably the other half was still occupied by Mr Flavell

Mike,
Found this old thread - wonder if it is still active - and if you still have your address conversion spreadsheet to hand? My wife Lucy, our family historian, is presently trying to find the location on the Pershore Road, we think, of "204 Stirchley Street", where her great grandfather Henry Snipe is recorded in the 1911 census. I can access 1:1250 scale mapping on the Old Maps website showing the modern numbering of Pershore Road.
Bill

Sorry for delay in replying. Saw your post yesterday and was going to reply last night, but it slipped my mind. The electoral roll fro 1912 also lists Henry, though they refer to it as 204 Pershore Road, Stirchley.. This corresponds to 1487 Pershore road, where, in the electoral roll, there are two Hebert snipes (presumably father and son)

Thanks for the very swift response - Lucy is now happy! Herbert was Henry's son and took over the house when Henry died in 1920 - along with Herbert's son, also Herbert.
Thanks again. Bill

My Edwin Withers, rope manufacturer, left in his Will a property at Icneild Street Numbers 156-158 occupied by "Mousely Bolton Clewly Hyde". Any ideas who they were? Sounds like a legal firm, but could be something else.
Any images?
Thank you

When was this?. As far as I can see 156 and 158 have always been separate businesses, and so the people concerned are probably the buildings owners, rather than necessarily the occupiers

Last edited:
In 1870 Edwin Withers advertised two established retail shops, one a Butchers, to Let. Apply 393, Farm St.

Back