• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Adderley Street Bus Storage Yard

Mark, I am really enjoying these back and white photos your posting. Did you take, develop and print the originals?

Yes - so quality is a bit variable on some. I will post more as I scan them in.
Well, I too found developing back and white was great fun, but the home equipment could be a bit hit and miss with the best will in the world. Just that fact that you have captured the social change makes the quality issue not so important now.

What camera and film were you using?

I had 3 second hand Praktica bodies, and a set of old lenses ranging from 28mm to 500mm. Film was usually Ilford HP5, or whatever you could buy in bulk tins from Pelling & Cross on Aston Road, Peter Gaffney's in Gt. Hampton St, or a little shop in Ethel St - you could usually get a 1000ft tin of "end of date" movie film for about £10 - this would load many reusable 35mm cassettes - you just had to use it quickly. Chemicals and paper were usually whatever was on offer (ie: end of, or out of date). Cash was tight as a student, so you always looked for a bargain!! Considering some are nearly 50 years old, the negs have survived well!

What a life, 15 years of pounding the streets of Brum, from City, to City, Inner Circle, Outer Circle, Kings Norton to Harborne, Sandwell to Pype Hayes, Aston Villa, the Blues, the County Ground, New Street, the Orstin, snow fog rain and sunshine and then they dump you on some waste ground, nick yer engine and bost yer windaz.

Who’d be a bus in Birmingham?

If the engine and transmission have been removed, then presumably the residual value in the structure is reduced to that of the scrap metal. Recycling of seats, electrics and window frames is presumably not worth the effort since the concurrent removal from service of fleets of similar vehicles means that there would be no market for these items. It seems a great shame to reduce such well constructed vehicles to the status of mere junk, but I suppose little exists in the way of an alternative.

Back