• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Adderley Road Shops

Cromwell, I think the fruit shop to the right of the picture was still there in the 1950s, and the No.8 bus stopped outside, I lived in Small Heath in 1958 and when I was pregnant had a craving for apples and used to eat about 2 lbs a day, I can remember nipping off the bus or sending my husband into that shop for "my fix" while the bus was stationary. I believe there was a Bundy clock nearby.

Cromwell - that's a great picture of Adderley Road Shops and - Sylvia - a lovely story to go with it! Eileen

Some of the shops I remember are, starting from the corner, Poynten's Dental Centre, Cafe owned by Brittan's, Savitard's? gents hairdressers, Hunt's greengrocers, Wrenson's grocers corner of Duddeston Mill Rd, and a tobacconist corner of Crawford Street.
Rita (trebor)

Back