• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Adderley & Cherrywood Schools

mr tennant was acting head on an off while i was there but later became head.as a matter of fact im trying to find him.i understand hes writing or wrote a book.a very good teacher and nice man.if anyone has any info of his where abouts please pass it on thanks

Mr Burroughs was Head when I was at Adderely. So I don't recall Miss. Hall. I moved up to Cherrywood and Ray Tennant was my form master in first year. I understood he became Head of Cherrywood after I left, so I don't remember him being at Adderley.

Do you remember Miss Green or Mr Abbey? There were two Miss Green's in the Juniors. One of them was very keen on animal welfare.

A friend took me on a drive around Birmingham a few months ago and I was very pleased to see the old junior building still standing and still used as a school.

When did you leave? I have a couple of school photographs so there could be a few people you may remember.
what year did you attend and leave cherrywood?

I left Christmas 1965 (half way through my 5th year). So I must have been in 1st year as you were in you last. My form teacher in 1A was Mr. Tennant.
Hi Sue do you remember me AlanRobinson lived in ash road . Do you remember a girl called Margret who lived in Arden rd I think she was Greek but not sure .

Hi Sue do you remember me AlanRobinson lived in ash road . Do you remember a girl called Margret who lived in Arden rd I think she was Greek but not sure .
Sue just remembering left cherrywood also Christmas 65 my form teacher in1A was MrJackson do you remember him.do you also remember miss Oldbury.

Are you Graham's brother? Did you live in the maisonettes on the church side of Ash Road, up the top nearer Arden Road?

I left Cherrywood Christmas 1966. Half way through my Year 5

When I was there Mr. Jackson took us for English. Mr Hughes for Mathes, Miss Oldbury for RE. She also used to be form mistress for 2a. In fact I moved up to 2A but after about three weeks it was decided that I was too old and should have been in the third year not the second year. My birthday is the 1st September so I was always the oldest int he class. When I moved I became the youngest! Mr Matthews was my form teacher in the fifth year. In 1A Mr. Tennant was the form teacher. I think it was the first time he had taken the first years. Don't remember Margaret, any idea of her surname?

Bhatti,

Reading your email dated January 2018 - did you find anything about Mr. Tennant? His son went to school with my brother (Saltley Grammar)

Are you Graham's brother? Did you live in the maisonettes on the church side of Ash Road, up the top nearer Arden Road?

I left Cherrywood Christmas 1966. Half way through my Year 5

When I was there Mr. Jackson took us for English. Mr Hughes for Mathes, Miss Oldbury for RE. She also used to be form mistress for 2a. In fact I moved up to 2A but after about three weeks it was decided that I was too old and should have been in the third year not the second year. My birthday is the 1st September so I was always the oldest int he class. When I moved I became the youngest! Mr Matthews was my form teacher in the fifth year. In 1A Mr. Tennant was the form teacher. I think it was the first time he had taken the first years. Don't remember Margaret, any idea of her surname?
Yes Graham is my younger brother, and that was were we lived. You might remember my older brother Brian who we sadly lost to bowel cancer in2013 lots of our old neighbours attended his funeral including John and Alan Fry and Alan Whaley think you would remember them . Remember all of those teachers , I was in 2a with miss oldbury I became a prefect in year 4 and was a member of the gym and trampoline team with Mr Freer who married another form teacher from the school but l cannot recall her name.

I remember Graham at Adderley. He used to walk up Arden Road with us at home time. Ask him if he remembers Jeanette Wade or Ian Sitch or Susan Newport. My brother was a friend of Alan Whalley and Alan Fry, he is 18 months older than I am. I wonder is Graham remembers me and also Susan McGouran who lived in Hams Road (at the top by Arden Rd). Mr Freer married the female teacher who used to take the girls for gym. I remember when she was pregnant they finally told everyone that they were married. I was a prefect too. Does the names Tony Belfield or Roy Pugsley mean anything to you?

We went to Arden in 1980 and it closed a couple of years later Arden lower School in Cobham Rd and Arden upper school was on my mum and dads road Bordesley Green Road opposite Denbigh Street. Mr Stanton the Geography teacher he was great Mr Hipwell the sports master

So did Cherrywood Secondary Modern become Arden? The main entrance was in Burbage Road but the back was in Cobham.
The Tech School used to be opposite Denbeigh Street on Bordesley Green Road. I have a couple of friends who wnet there. It was a boys school at that time.

Hi Sue yes in the 60’s it was a boys school and later a Technical college but so where in the 70’s it changed to Arden mixed comprehensive school for both sexes and the lower school was on Cobham Rd for secondary years 11 to 13 then the upper school for the 4th and 5th years. It was great times growing up most of the people were really friendly no stabbings, drugs, shootings or anything like you have now. You always called your neighbours by Mr or Mrs Wiiliiams and these old ladies were born in the 1890’s and had the photos of the old trams that were in Birmingham.

Hello Suemalings.

Mr Abbey here.

Did I teach you at Adderley? I've spoken to Carol Mendelsson recently
who lived in Ash Road, and heard about Jillian Taylor (now teaching in Cardiff) from her brother.
Hi Mr abbey and Sue.I remember both of you from Adderley.I was captain of the football team 1964/65 season Gillian Taylor Wilma Bell Janet Plumb Annette Shilliker Alan Bradnock were all my year.Mr Abbey you looked after the football team.Remember the sports Argus and reading about you and Moseley rugby clubMany years later I worked with David and Mark Linnett who went on to play for England.I was a police cadet and one of my instructors was Nigel Horton.Sue I used to live at Flat1 51 Ash road Saltley. I think one of your neighbours was Mr andMrs Griffiths whose son John also served like me for 30 years as a policeman

Ash Brown - Are you Paul? I am not sure. John Griffiths lived upstairs at number 3. I remember the family well, I have a school photo from Adderley and he is on it. You are there too probably. Gillian Taylor was a good friend of mine and I remember Malcolm Bradnock (I have been in touch with his sister). Have been in touch with Ian Sitch recently. Can you send me a Private Message and tell me who you are!

Ash Brown - Are you Paul? I am not sure. John Griffiths lived upstairs at number 3. I remember the family well, I have a school photo from Adderley and he is on it. You are there too probably. Gillian Taylor was a good friend of mine and I remember Malcolm Bradnock (I have been in touch with his sister). Have been in touch with Ian Sitch recently. Can you send me a Private Message and tell me who you are!
Hi Sue my name is John Brown.You May remember my parents and me were in the Salvation Army and attended every Sunday so you may have seen us in uniform.Alan Bradnock was the brother in my classSorry do not remember Ian Sitch

So did Cherrywood Secondary Modern become Arden? The main entrance was in Burbage Road but the back was in Cobham.
The Tech School used to be opposite Denbeigh Street on Bordesley Green Road. I have a couple of friends who wnet there. It was a boys school at that time.
Hello Sue,

Found myself here more by accident than design, researching some family history - looking for the location of a bus station near Common Lane c1960. As you do when encountering a history forum you begin looking for other aspects of family history, and local schools is one of them.

I started at Cherrywood Secondary Modern in Sep 1974. This became Arden Comprehensive during the summer of 1975, when it was merged with Bordesley Green Grammar School for Boys (opposite Denbigh Street, along Bordesly Green Road). Arden was split between the two sites, the lower school (1st-3rd years) was the Cherrywood site and the upper school (4th-5th years) was the Grammer School site - or at least that was the original plan.

I can recall walking between the two sites, as my Class (2P?) had its Science lessons at the Grammar School. It was a Grammar School because my Mother hoped that I would get into the school. However, I failed the 11+ exam so ended up at the Secondary Modern. Mind you, I did not know at the time that the exam I sat was the 11+, I don't think my Mother was aware of the exam either.

I walked daily from Denbigh Street to Cobham Road. I also recall that the sports field used by Cherrywood/Arden was near my sister's school; she went to Bordesley Green Girls School. I remember this because my Mom would give me the bus fare needed (2p - quite expensive when you're poor) to get home afterwards. I would meet up with my sister then catch the No 53/54 to the junction of Bordesley Green Road and Victoria Road. (I note now that Google shows Bordesley Green Grammar School for Boys is now Bordesley Green School for Girls.) Swimming lessons were taken at the Swimming Baths near Green lane/Coventry Road, which meant walking past my primary school WynCliffe Infants and Junior School, along Little Green Lane.

Sadly, I don't recall many of the teachers' names - although the RE teacher did make a strong impression on me, my form tutor I think was Miss Perkins (class 1P or 2P?). At the junior school (1971-1974), the headmaster was Mr Collins and my final year teacher there was Mr Perkins. At the infant school (1968-1971) there was Mrs Anthony and Mrs Lilly, I don't recall the name of the headmistriss.

My family moved away from the area in Feb 1976.

A connected thread to the Grammer & Secondary Modern Schools -> Arden Comprehensive

cfam

Last edited:
I remember Graham at Adderley. He used to walk up Arden Road with us at home time. Ask him if he remembers Jeanette Wade or Ian Sitch or Susan Newport. My brother was a friend of Alan Whalley and Alan Fry, he is 18 months older than I am. I wonder is Graham remembers me and also Susan McGouran who lived in Hams Road (at the top by Arden Rd). Mr Freer married the female teacher who used to take the girls for gym. I remember when she was pregnant they finally told everyone that they were married. I was a prefect too. Does the names Tony Belfield or Roy Pugsley mean anything to you?
I worked with Tony Belfield,Roy Pugsley and Martin Statham on the Bullring market in the 60's

I worked with Tony Belfield,Roy Pugsley and Martin Statham on the Bullring market in the 60's
I know Roy lived overseas somewhere (could have been Spain) but I have don't know what happened to Tony. I don't recall the name Martin Stratham but I do remember Martin Raithby as he was the only boy who decided to learn Typing and Shorthand. I think his plans were to become a Journalist but I have no idea what happened to anyone after I left Cherrywood at Christmas 1966. Did you go to Cherrywood?

I know Roy lived overseas somewhere (could have been Spain) but I have don't know what happened to Tony. I don't recall the name Martin Stratham but I do remember Martin Raithby as he was the only boy who decided to learn Typing and Shorthand. I think his plans were to become a Journalist but I have no idea what happened to anyone after I left Cherrywood at Christmas 1966. Did you go to Cherrywood?
Sadly Tony passed away a few years ago, Cancer I believe, he was a really lovely, funny person. We had so much fun at work and even more on the bus home,he was hilarious.

I attended Shawhill 1963-1968 and Cherrywood,1968-72,Cherrywood was definitely a mixed school throughout the entire 1960's..Their were three Head Teachers in my time there..Mr Griffin..Ray Tennant and Mr Parker...Various Teachers over my four years were: Mr Kear ( Art )..Penzer..Palfreyman ( nicknamed "Polly )..Miss Oldbury ( Auntie Oggles )..Mr Hughes ( Maths and AKA Ugsy)..Miss Henry (Geography ) Mr Bates ( Woodwork )..Mr Gwinnett (Music )...Mr Murphy..Mr Allen..Mr Galloway...Various Gym Teachers were...Miss Morgan..Mr Horrocks..Mr Dewings..and Mr Ayling...I found this old pic of some kids from Cherrywood School from about 1964 /65 and ( Hopefully managed to post it )..I was at Cherrywood from 1968 till 1972,so its just before my time..maybe some of our members are on this pic and can fill in the missing names??..........Back Row-Judith Scott-????Jennifer Odell-Roy Edwards-Roger Banks-John Shaw-Roger Davis-Middle Row-Hazel Bache-Denise Mason-Avis McIndoe?-Pauline Studholme-Sandra Merrel-Christine Parr-Michael Newport-?-Ray Barnett-David Eades-Stanely Jonstone-Peter Griffiths-Reginald Pink-Front Row-John Hughes-Paul Collier-Brian Bennett-Dougy Hall-Dennis Cotton-Wally White-John Kelson-jock?

Attachments

• CHERRYWOOD SCHOOL KIDS GROUP.jpg
    CHERRYWOOD SCHOOL KIDS GROUP.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 19
Mr Tennant was our Form Master in 1st Year. I remember Mr. Hughes (he was our form teacher in 3rd year) Penzer, Palfreyman and Miss Oldbury. Mr Freer used to teach the boys PE and he married the female teacher who taught the girls PE. Do you remember the amazing gym and trampoline we had at the school? Mr McGuffey was our Headmaster. He was still there when I left at Christmas 1966. I don't recognise any of the names. By the way Michael Newport was older than me, he had left Cherrywood by the time I started in first year. He lived upstairs from us in the flats in Saltley. I was good friends with his sister who is probably waiting for am email from me!

Mr Tennant was our Form Master in 1st Year. I remember Mr. Hughes (he was our form teacher in 3rd year) Penzer, Palfreyman and Miss Oldbury. Mr Freer used to teach the boys PE and he married the female teacher who taught the girls PE. Do you remember the amazing gym and trampoline we had at the school? Mr McGuffey was our Headmaster. He was still there when I left at Christmas 1966. I don't recognise any of the names. By the way Michael Newport was older than me, he had left Cherrywood by the time I started in first year. He lived upstairs from us in the flats in Saltley. I was good friends with his sister who is probably waiting for am email from m

Hi Sue,

Gillian Tailor, a name from the past. She lived by my cousin, Mary, an we used to hang out with her. Also, Rachel, did you know her?

Was Gillian's sister called Marvis? Gillian was younger that Mavis. There were three sisters, Carol (I think - the oldest) Mavis, in my class and then Gillian. They lived in Adderley Road. Can't think of a Rachel but if we are talking about the same family and Rachel was a friend of Gillian's, they were younger that us and of course we didn't bother with the young one's did we!!

Actually I don't think it was Gillian. I think the younger sister was called Janet. I just cannot remember. However the family I knew did live in Adderley Road, The elder sister was a really good friend with a girl whose surname was Fox (maybe it was Maureen) she wanted to be a hairdresser and she came to our flat to cut my hair once. I was in the same class as her brother Paul. He was younger than his sister.

Hi Sue,

Gillian Tailor, a name from the past. She lived by my cousin, Mary, an we used to hang out with her. Also, Rachel, did you know her?
Gillian Taylor did she have a younger brother Michael if so Gillian was in my class at Adderley I believe in later life she acame a teacher

Not the same Taylor family as I knew then as I know there were no brother's only the three girls. How are you Ash Brown? Haven't been in contact for a while.

Back