• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Adderley & Cherrywood Schools

suemalings

master brummie
Did anyone attend Adderley Infants (St Savious Road), Adderley Juniors (Arden Road) or cherrywood Secondary Modern (Burbage Road)?

I left Christmas 1965 (half way through my 5th year). So I must have been in 1st year as you were in you last. My form teacher in 1A was Mr. Tennant.

i went to st saviors and arden rd schools in the 1950s remember mr tennant also former heads miss hall and mr burroughs

Mr Burroughs was Head when I was at Adderely. So I don't recall Miss. Hall. I moved up to Cherrywood and Ray Tennant was my form master in first year. I understood he became Head of Cherrywood after I left, so I don't remember him being at Adderley.

Do you remember Miss Green or Mr Abbey? There were two Miss Green's in the Juniors. One of them was very keen on animal welfare.

A friend took me on a drive around Birmingham a few months ago and I was very pleased to see the old junior building still standing and still used as a school.

When did you leave? I have a couple of school photographs so there could be a few people you may remember.

i left about 1956 to go to leigh rd school i also remember a miss brookes

Hi Sue

I lived near Adderley Road school but didnt go there, I went to Nansen Road. However I would love to see your photos as I bet I would know a few of the kids.
Wendy

Hi,
I whent to Anthony Rd and Cherrywood Schools, I remember Mr Tennant
Mr Horrocks Mr Allen Miss Jones Mr Smith Miss Moor (Domestic Science)

School Chums Shirley Gothard, Melanie Jones, Philip Palfrey

Linda- when did you go to Cherrywood?

Wendy - Sorry I didn;t post the photos as I had a lot of a problem trying to post a photo on a different site. However, now I think I know an easier way.

Hi sue

They are smashing photos and doesnt everyone look smart. I couldnt see anyone I recognised but its a long time ago isnt it.

On another subject, do you remember John Wilkinson & Sons just round the corner from that school? I worked there as a secretary until I left to start a family.

Thanks for putting the photos on so quickly.
Wendy

I don't really know the names of any of the places around the school. I lived in Ash Road and used to walk down Arden Road to School (the juniors). The only place I remember in Addrerley Road was the Cheese Factory. If we were lucky we could get cheese boxes for nothing, otherwise we used to have to pay 6d. When I think about it we did all kinds of things with those cheese boxes, then kept us amused for weeks!

If you look on Saltley and Alum Rock thread you will see a lovely picture of Ash Road. I have just been looking at it.
Wendy

Sue
Type in the search "Saltley and Alum Rock". That will bring up about 22 threads and near the bottom is one called Saltley and Alum Rock again! Click into that and there are some photos posted by Macca. Theres 4 together and the first one is Ash Road.

Hope you can find it.
Wendy

Hello Suemalings.

Mr Abbey here.

Did I teach you at Adderley? I've spoken to Carol Mendelsson recently
who lived in Ash Road, and heard about Jillian Taylor (now teaching in Cardiff) from her brother.

Mr Burroughs was Head when I was at Adderely. So I don't recall Miss. Hall. I moved up to Cherrywood and Ray Tennant was my form master in first year. I understood he became Head of Cherrywood after I left, so I don't remember him being at Adderley.

Do you remember Miss Green or Mr Abbey? There were two Miss Green's in the Juniors. One of them was very keen on animal welfare.

A friend took me on a drive around Birmingham a few months ago and I was very pleased to see the old junior building still standing and still used as a school.

When did you leave? I have a couple of school photographs so there could be a few people you may remember.

Hi Joe(Topsy)
Can you remember riding down Collage rd on your Sisters bike with Sandra?
Have you recovered yet?
nice to see your name on screen. Regards Sandra.

Mr Abbey - Yes you did teach me at Adderley. I remember you very well, you used to call me Susan Palings! It must have been around 1961 as I think it was my third year.

I was in the same class as Mavis Taylor (I think Jillian Taylor's sister), Jeanette Wade, Ian Sitch and Susan Newport to name a few. I still keep in touch with Jeanette and Ian as they married each other.

Very happy and innocent times for us weren't they?

I am really interested in the building which is now Adderley Children's Centre on St Saviours Road and am trying to find old photos of the building and find out more about how it was used before it became a nursery in the 70s. I recognise where the playground photo is taken and from the posts it must have been known as Adderley Infant School. I'd really appreciate any photos or stories from anyone. The Victorian part of the building is beautiful and still has its stained glass windows and panelling.
I work at Adderley Children's Centre and am keen to find out more.

I went to school at Adderely Infants School from about 1955 - 1959. I then moved to Adderley Juniors in Adderely/Arden Road.

There used to be a house at the back of the school (in the playground) where Mr Gumbley, the caretaker, lived.

The hall used to have lovely marquet flooring and there was a partition that ran all the way along to give a corridor between the hall and the three classrooms. It wasn't a floor to ceiling partition, probably around 7 feet high, no doors, just gaps.

When I was in Class 1 (the "top" class which was the classroom on the right), the teacher was Miss Keeling. We had a piano, the back had a piece of material which was always used as the back drop for the school photos!

I am sure my brother will have some memories, I'll contact him and pass on anything. Sorry I don't have any ohotos, only those two from the junior school.

Dear Victor, I have only recently joined this forum but when I saw your name memories came flooding back. I went to the same schools and was in the same classes as you. My memory of you is that you were an accomplished cartoonist, did you keep that hobby going? Regards Tony Williams.

I attended Adderley Park junior school up until 1956. The names of the teachers I remember are, first class attended Mrs Evans, there was a Miss Mycock, the guy I feared the most but never actually got to be in his class, Mr Millward, very handy with the stick. and Mr Tenant.

Hello Linda Loo
I went to Cherrywood road and left in 1968. I was in the third year with Melanie Jones who eventually became Philip Palfreys boylfriend. our form teacher was Mr Allen who went on to run the youth club.

Hi,
I whent to Anthony Rd and Cherrywood Schools, I remember Mr Tennant
Mr Horrocks Mr Allen Miss Jones Mr Smith Miss Moor (Domestic Science)

School Chums Shirley Gothard, Melanie Jones, Philip Palfrey
there was mr palfrey science teacher if remember correctly

I went to Cherrywood Sec School, when I was living on the Alum Rock Rd in 1973-74. I eventually became the Head Prefect a few months before leaving. Bit of a rough school then, but the teaching staff were good
Quite a mixed school...

Back