• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Adams William

barrye

proper brummie kid
I am searching for any information about Mr William Adams JP. he was the President of Sparkbrook Club in 1907

Re: Mr William Adams

His address in 1908 was :
Sorrento, Wake Green Road,Moseley

Thanks for the information, I have tried seaching , but all I get is that Sorrento was a Hospital in wake green road. is there any further information you have. regards barrye

Sorrento was a private house, but was turned into a maternity Hospital in later years, which included the area on which the original house was, together with other buildings . not sure if the original house building remained during this time. map c 1905 below
Mike

map_c1905_showing_Sorrento2CWake_Green_road.jpg

Thanks again Mike, I keep hitting brick walls, but thanks to you it is keeping our interest going. William Adams was the president of Sparkbrook club which nobody can recall. I have a list of 30 plus members who won a Billiards Cup there between 1907 and 1950. Could you point me in the right direction at all. thanks Barrye

From 1932 Kellys
Sparkbrook Club (F. Tyrrell,sec.),388 Stratford rd. Spark hill
Sparkbrook Unionist Club Ltd. (Mrs. C. Withers, stewardess), 168 Stratford rd

Thanks again, Looks like Mr Adams dissapeared from 1907/8 But we are still searching. barrye

Hi, thanks for message. I came up to Birmingham on Sunday 13th. went to Wake Green Rd. Sorrento is now a housing Block. original house has gone. Nobody could offer any information. I went to Sparkbrook from there. Found the property which I assumed was the Club I was looking for. But alas no help was given from the locals. But thanks again to you.
I will endeavor to search on internet, unless something else comes up. I am sure there must be Family of Mr Adams, but very hard to obtain, unless you wish to pay a fortune to researchers. Thanks mikejee.........Barry

Hi Barry

William Adams born c1858 Sheffield Yorkshire married Martha Jane Rogerson (born c1858 Sheffield Yorkshire) in 1879 Eccleshall, Bierlow, Yorkshire.
1881 - living 60 Winter Street, Sheffield with wife and 1 child. Wm is a Clerk
1891 - living Inglewood, Holdenhurst, Bournemouth, Hampshire with wife. Described as visitors in the Rogers' household. Wm is an Ins Co Manager
1901 - living at Sorrento, Wake Green Road with wife and children - retired insurance co. manager
1911 - Sorrento, 15 Wake Green Road - Martha Jane is now a widow
Nearest death between 1901 & 1911 with birth year circa 1858 is for 1910 aged 54

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne, thanks for info. thought I was hitting a brick wall last week after i visited Brum. Interesting to see that they had children,I assume the next step is to try and follow their path in life. thanks again Barrye.

Hi Barrye

Barrye

Children of William & Martha Adams

Mabel Adams born 1881 Sheffield
Gertrude L Adams born 1883 Sheffield
Esther Adams born 1885 Sheffield
Hilda Adams born 1890 Sparkbrook Birmingham

Someone on Ancestry has made an amendment to the transcription for the 1901 census against Gertrude L Adams name stating that Gertrude was her Grandmother's sister. Looking closer, they appear to have the family tree on Ancestry but it is private so you will have to contact her on the site.

regards
Suzanne

Thanks again Suzanne, How do you come by this information. I have tried the ancestry sites, but get lost in all the jargon. If you could put me onto the right site as regards the ancestry follow up. would appreciate it. barrye

Hi Suzanne, my ultimate aim is to hopefully get in contact with a living decendant of Mr Adams. If you can assist me further on this, I would appreciate it. Barrye

barrye - I too am interested in details of 'William Adams' and his family. I read that he was 'a Birmingham industrialist' who named his house 'Sorrento' after spending his honeymoon there. I found details of a 'William Adams', a silversmith with a business registered nearby: 'Compass Works, 203-212 Barr Street, Hockley BIrmingham', registered in 1865 and later sold to Henry Jenkins & Sons. The company registered various trademarks, mainly WA separated by a dot or a dash and later by a compass for the American market. Suzanne said that WA was an 'insurance company manager' so perhaps my WA is not your WA, although perhaps he was.

I am a bit mystified by your silversmith. Up to about 1884, when Barr St was renumbered, there is no number in directories higher than 132. After this no 203 seems to be the trafalgar public house, and anyway, after 1884 the numbering was even one side, odd the other, so 203-212 would not be possible . Similarly Great Barr St does not seem to have numbers much above 120. Could you tell us where your information comes from?
Mike

Hello Mike - The earliest reference was taken from : 'The London Directory'; '1930 Post Office Directory'; 'Kelly London Directories 1930', giving the address in full.
The next one, chronologically, was from the 1947 British Industries Trade Fair, a William Adams Ltd trade card, giving the address in full.
The only other reference giving an address is a register of 'Birmingham Makers Marks' showing various 'William Adams Ltd' marks from 1901 to 1955, with the address 'Barr Street, Birmingham'.

One of them, I don't know which one, but it looks like it came from the trade card, gave a telephone number : Birmingham Northern 3606-7

Thanks again Suzanne, How do you come by this information. I have tried the ancestry sites, but get lost in all the jargon. If you could put me onto the right site as regards the ancestry follow up. would appreciate it. barrye

Hi Barrye

Presuming you have access to Ancestry?
Log on
Hover over the top bar on SEARCH
select SEARCH ALL RECORDS
Select FAMILY TREES
Enter Gertrude L Adams - against father put William Adams, against mother put Martha Jane
Enter birth year as 1883
Birth Country: England
County : Yorkshire
Click SEARCH
Then the tree (MERRY family tree) is about 3 from the top. Click on the tree name and you will be taken to the page to contact the owner.

Hope this makes sense:)

Suzanne

Hi roy
I think that expalins it. I was looking at before WW1. The 1921 Kellys does not mention it, but the 1932 Kellys (the next one that I have) lists William Adams Ltd, manufacturing silversmiths, 207-211 Barr St. they are there till at least 1946, but in 1949 have extended a bit to 207-213 Barr St. They stay there till at least 1956, but in 1962-69 they are at 52 Gt Hampton St. However 1971-73 (the last Kellys) they are Adams .W Ltd, silverware, 40 Vittoria St.
As to earlier existence, I think it extremely unlikely that thye would not be in the directories. Therefore there are two possibilities, that the firm was not then in birmingham, or that it had a different name. I can make no suggestions as to the first posibility, though the wiliam that began this thread (if it is the same one) did apparently come from sheffield (see earlier post), and this is also a centre for silverware. As to the other posibility, in the 1921 Kellys, there is mention of a W.J.Adams, which just says “see Candelant & Adams”. Candelant & Adams are listed as a 121 Branston St since before 1890, but are still at 121 in 1932, when William Adams is in existence, so I think thisn unlikely. I think the firm being in another town is more likely. If you want any earlier dates for Candelent & Adams then let me know
Mike

Back