• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ada road school memorial.

stevie.b-123

master brummie
i've just discovered this postcard of ada rd school roll of honour ww1,and just wondered if it still exists. my great uncle, Thomas Hull, is on it. He is also shown on the memorial list posted by terry, with his brother Ernest.They both lived in Greenway st. regards, steve.View attachment 54803

Hi Steve
I thought I recognised the centre memorial plaque in your picture. This plaque is now at Bordesley Village Primary School Emmiline Street Bordesley. This school which backs onto Bham City football club used to be named St Andrews School. Alas the rolls of honour seem to have dissapeared as they are not at the school. Not sure how or when the memorial moved from Ada Road School. I have some good photos of the memorial. If you want a copy please PM me with your email & I will send them.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

Do you think you might be able to send me the photos of the memorial or post them on here? I'm trying to see if my great uncle, who lived in Bordesley Green, is on any surviving memorial.

Thanks,
Kirsty

Hi Kirsty

If you give me your Great Uncles name I will check my records I assume he was killed during WW1

Tony

Attachments

• SS101512.jpg
    SS101512.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 46
Hi Tony,
His name was John Harvey and, yes, he died in 1915. Sorry, I should have been clearer. I know it's a long shot but I thought I'd try and see if I could find his name recorded anywhere. Thanks for the help.

Kirsty

I have 3 John Harvey's listed non of which were killed in 1915. There is a John Harvey listed on the Commonwealth War Graves Site & Soldiers Died who was killed in action on the 20/06/1915 aged 21. This is B/1930 John Harvey 9th Bn. Rifle Brigade. Born London Enlisted Birmingham, and lived in Bordesley Green Birmingham. He was the son of John Harvey of 14 Humpage Road, Bordesley Green Birmingham and the late Fanny Harvey. He is remembered on the Menin Gate Ypres Belgium.
Tony

Thanks Tony. :) Yes, John Harvey, B1930 of the 9 Btn Rifle Brigade is my great uncle. I'm hoping to visit the Menin Gate next year. I had hoped, like so many other soldiers, he might have had a memorial at home but it's not looking likely.

Kirsty

I attended Ada road school from 1944-1948, and I can't recall seeing the Memorial, yet it must have been on the main hall.

It is interesting reading the notes, I think my Dad could have gone to this school. Would there be any records saves as to who had attended. My Dad was Walter Wentworth Morris born 16th Sept. 1915 so he was perhaps at the school from 1920.

I was there 1955 to 61, and have a couple of photos taken looking at different corners of the hall, no sign of a memorial. I was too young for it to have made a memorable impression.
Andrew.

Back