• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ada Lloyd

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks could someone with access to the 1939 eve of war register post me the household for ada lloyd please...think she will be living in new john st west no hubby just children..

many thanks

lyn

ok thanks janice and maurice...on the 1939 e rolls she is at 5/59 new john st west by herself as hubby died in 1931. she committed suicide in 1940 by gassing herself here death cert is being ordered..wonder where she was on the eve of war then i believe the children were evacuated

yes thanks john i have got that info for 1939 e roll but it appears that she is not at that address on the eve of war register..mind you the 39 e roll could have been taken in 38 so she could have lived somewhere else just prior to her death in june 1940

thanks john

lyn

Lyn,

Sorry I've been out all evening. Here are the three possibles excluding blocked records:-

18 Great Russell Street
Ada bn 28 May 1888
Thomas bn 14 April 1924 - packer in warehouse - printing trade
Leslie A. bn 27 May 1927 - school

28,32 Firsby Road
Ada bn 7 August 1875
Doris L bn 11 October 1904 - power press hand
May (Dorothy M.) Waters formerly Lloyd bn 25 July 1917 - capstan lathe hand

50 Willow Road
Ada bn 8 September 1874
Winifred L. bn 30 May 1910 - grocery shop assistant

Hope one of these is yours!

Maurice

hi bewdley i dont think thats my ada as she was born in 1888 and was a widow by 1939...just out of interest what was the address for that one please ??

maurice pretty sure the one you found at gt russell is her as i know she had sons thomas and leslie i know that leslie was evacuated and i dont think he saw his mom again as said before she committed suicide the following year..so sad...is she down as a widow.??

back to mws lol...is is possible for you to post the image please for the ada lloyd at gt russell st that maurice has found

many thanks to both of you this is most helpful

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn,

That seems pretty likely and I will leave MWS to post the image. Now to check for the suicide in the newspapers.

Maurice

thanks maurice much appreciated although i have a hunch you wont find anything of the suicide..never know though and as i said on another thread the death certs for both ada and hubby who died in a gas explosion at its said saltley gas works are being ordered..

lyn

Lyn,

No Court report on the Inquest, if there was one, just this in the Birmingham Mail dated 15 April 1940.

If you're going to the Library, it might be work checking for an Inquest (last one I got had a 70 year closed date).

Maurice

Attachments

• ada_lloyd_1.jpg
    ada_lloyd_1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 13
thanks for that maurice..not sure ada had any daughters though but i can easily check that out..the other thing is that snippet is dated april 1940 but her death was reg june 1940 but i am thinking that if there was an inquest into her death then that could explain the delay in registering her death..not really sure ..hope to have a bit more info tomorrow..oh is she down as widow on the 39 ??

lyn

Last edited:
hi mws i dont think thats my ada as she was born in 1888 and was a widow by 1939...just out of interest what was the address for that one please ??

maurice pretty sure the one you found at gt russell is her as i know she had sons thomas and leslie i know that leslie was evacuated and i dont think he saw his mom again as said before she committed suicide the following year..so sad...is she down as a widow.??

back to mws lol...is is possible for you to post the image please for the ada lloyd at gt russell st that maurice has found

many thanks to both of you this is most helpful

lyn

MWS hasn't responded to your post Lyn, did you mean my post? If so the address is 5/59 New John Street West as in your post.

Here is the 1939 for Gt Russell St, hope it's correct and you haven't sent for cert yet.

Attachments

• ada lloyd gt russell street.jpg
    ada lloyd gt russell street.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 8
Lyn,

Yes, all the Ada Lloyd entries on the 1939 Register were widows, which was why I queried her d.o.b. when she wasn't living at NJSW.

Maurice

oops sorry bewdley..senior moment again lol...bit confused now as i have ada and hubby thomas on the 30 e roll at 60 njsw and on the 39 e roll at 5/59 njsw

bewdley has found an ada lloyd on the eve of war register at 5/59 njsw single and b 1885 my ada was born 1888 and by 1931 she was widowed..

then we have which has to be my ada lloyd on another eve of war register correct dob and a widow at gt russell street..

bit late now but i think i will return to this with a fresh head lol...

no certs sent for yet...

Lyn,

The Electoral Rolls are taken in the previous October. I searched specifically for a status of widowed, so that no single or marrieds would show and I got the three in post #11. You need to track back on the one that Bewdley found. Off to bed!

Maurice

Back