• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ada Lloyd

1939 records closed for people younger than 100 or who died since 1991. If you have proof of death I think you can ask for a record to be opened.

I looked for Ada's first hubby's records but hard to trace a Smith (as you know).

hi john ive found 2 sydney smiths who were killed in action in 1915..1 born aston died in the may the other one born hockley died in feb...neither of them show the same reg number that you found...strange...

im on ancestry at the min trying to locate the records that show soldiers effects...cant seem to find it but if i can it should be not problem finding out the correct one as effects would have been left to wife ada..will plod on:rolleyes:

Lyn - I think I found the same 2 as you but then couldn't get any further. I think it depends on how he spelt his "Sydney" or "Sidney". I can't find the one in #32 on the died list - if you see what I mean.

Last edited:
Lyn - the one listed from Aston is on CWGC site as son of Thomas and Florence of Markby Road Winson Green - not husband of..... No next of kin are given for the one from Hockley.

thanks janice...dont worry will get to the bottom of it..ive spent ages on ancestry on the card catalogue trying to locate the the soldiers effects records..im up to page 50 now and i still cant find it..any ideas please..i know these records exist as i have used them in the past

I did a search by name and found the one died 24 Feb 1915 listed on CWGC site with no net of kin - his effects went to sister Elsie listed as sole legatee.

thanks janice dont think thats him as he was married to ada and had 3 children..

lyn

deaths certs for ada and 2nd hubby thomas have now been ordered...be interesting to see if the gas explosion and suicide causes of death are correct if they are could be possible inquests on both deaths to follow up...will update asap

lyn

Meant to say the list you want is under - search (on tool bar) then military, view all in card catalogue and then bottom of page 3. I also meant to say that the one I found wasn't your Sydney. Perhaps he left no effects?

Meant to say the list you want is under - search (on tool bar) then military, view all in card catalogue and then bottom of page 3. I also meant to say that the one I found wasn't your Sydney. Perhaps he left no effects?

thats is possible janice..thanks for the info i will try and find the soldiers effects records later on..:)

Just spotted that one of the trees on Ancestry suggests the gas explosion was at Nechells not Saltley

thanks janice it could be my friends tree...shes the one i am helping...hopefully when the death cert comes back we should know for sure what happened to thomas lloyd...forgot to mention that finding adas first hubbys (sydney smith) war records are not that important as its the lloyd side we are more interested in...the war records for thomas lloyd did survive so thats good news

lyn

Back