• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Across Birmingham on the 29A

Did anyone go all the way from Kingstanding or Pheasley to Hall Green? (and vice versa). Assume everyone got off in the city centre! No wonder the routes were eventually split into two!

Only as a joyride, It was always interesting to see what existed beyond Perry Barr speedway stadium. :biggrin: It reminds me of the London comment that those living south of the Thames would cross the river to see if there was life over there.

I have ammended my post 13 to show what I believe is the correct road name. WOW! I had a girl friend who lived in that road ( we were both school age, so nothing serious I guess) so I should have remembered the road name. :biggrin:

My book, of the tiltle of this thread, arrived yeasterday. I have only looked at the photos so far. Two or three things drew special attention. They were photos of my favorite BCT buses: piano front AEC's and FON registered Leylands. These were very rare on the routes in my time. The other favourites, which were by no means rare, were the HOV Leylands - aka bouncing buses. Anyone traveling on one down Robin Hood Lane will know what I mean.

Another interesting picture was bus HOV 699 (car 1699) which overturned when turning into Highfield Road from Stratford Road. This surprised me as the roads were wide there. A more likely place for such an incident would have been the difficult turn from Robin Hood Lane into Keddleston Road which always caused buses - especially when well laden - to heel over.

ref # 17
"Did anyone go all the way from Kingstanding or Pheasley to Hall Green? (and vice versa). Assume everyone got off in the city centre! No wonder the routes were eventually split into two!"

I used to travel the whole route during the school holidays as we lived in Blythsford Road, just off Newborough Road, and I used to take my children to Barr Beacon for the day. We used to take a picnic with us and have a grand time.

I used that bus route from the 1946ish up until 1978 when my Mother moved from Blythsford. I had no choice but to use that route and a couple of years ago had to use the 4 from Solihull to Sarehole and the journey was an absolute nightmare. I complained to the driver who told me I didn't have to ride that bus!

I remember when young and travelling from Stechford on the number 11 (on the old Routemaster type) chasing the bus to Southam road. We often used to hop on the bus by catching the pole on the platform as the bus went round the island, but this time I had missed it and my Dad had jumped on. The conductor held the bus up until I arrived at the Bus Stop - that was service, specially as we had not boarded at an official bus stop.

Since I bought the book last week, I keep spotting the no 33 bus in the city centre! I think they usually say Pheasey on them, but they may also now go onto Walsall!

They look like the modern red and white Enviro 400 buses. With a green strip on them!

I don't know when the numbers were reassigned, but the current 29 goes from Colmore Row to Northfield, via Broad Street, Harborne and Weoley Castle. And the modern 29A goes to Shenley Fields. Both routes also pass through California!

I don't know when the numbers were reassigned, but the current 29 goes from Colmore Row to Northfield, via Broad Street, Harborne and Weoley Castle. And the modern 29A goes to Shenley Fields. Both routes also pass through California!

Changing about route numbers is a right pain! For me a 5 should go to Perry Common and a 6 to Sandon Road etc. At least NXWM still recognise California as the name sadly no longer appears on current O/S maps and Google Earth.

Simon

I went on a 33 last week from Perry Barr to the City Centre (Aldridge Road to Moor Street Queensway), then a short walk up to the 6 (to head to Hall Green and home).

Changing about route numbers is a right pain! For me a 5 should go to Perry Common and a 6 to Sandon Road etc. At least NXWM still recognise California as the name sadly no longer appears on current O/S maps and Google Earth.

Simon

I wouldn't know about those routes (before my time). Are they the 934, 935 and 936 now?

Also before the current 5 (Birmingham Carrs Lane to Solihull Station via Widney Manor Station) there used to be the 4 (that went past Sarehole Mill). Not too long ago!

Nothing terminates in Sandon Road these days but some routes travel up it. The old 5 and 7 were cross city and were the same route going in opposite directions, these days it operates just from Colmore Row to Perry Common and is numbered 7 whatever direction it travels, in the past buses travelling to Perry Common were 5 or 5A (two different termini) and for the return journey to Portland Road the number 7 was used.

It was before my time visiting Brum too but I have a lot of interest in the history of the bus routes.

Simon

Whilst visiting my parents in Perry Barr last weekend, I had to pass The Scotts Arms. I my be wrong, but I am sure I saw the West Bromwich to Sutton Coldfield now numbered 5. if my memory serves me right, I think it used to be the 456, right back to West Bromwich Corporation days.

Whilst visiting my parents in Perry Barr last weekend, I had to pass The Scotts Arms. I my be wrong, but I am sure I saw the West Bromwich to Sutton Coldfield now numbered 5. if my memory serves me right, I think it used to be the 456, right back to West Bromwich Corporation days.

Changed the number about 12 months ago.

It was previously the 451 and many years back the 452. At the last service review the 4 was dropped from the West Bromwich numbers with the 448 becoming the 48 etc but to renumber the 451 to 51 wasn't possible as it would cross the Walsall 51 at the Scott Arms so it was made the number 5.

Wish they would leave the numbers alone to be honest!!

Simon

I must have traversed the 29a from Baldwins Lane to Pheasey - back and forth - many times! As a 'rabid' bus nut in my teens I would wait for hours (non-school days and holidays) at the Baldwin for my 'tamed ' Drivers and Conductress(1) who would let me ride free there and back. Getting the driver to 'stamp' my wrist with his Bundy key, having a quick ticket and told to "get upstairs quick" when an Inspector was spotted, being allowed to push the start button (hand through sliding window behind the cab), being allowed to 'do the bell' coming home from school (College Road to Hall Green) . . . happy memories. Still a 'bus nut' at 80, model buses everywhere, much to the annoyance of "ere indoors", and anything transport related is my bag!P1030637 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030636 (FILEminimizer).jpg

Thanks Nigel. It looks as if you had a great time travelling on the 29A and I very much liked the photos. I lived in Sarehole Road but my preferred way of getting into Town was on the 32 or 37 from Hall Green Parade. I would sometimes get the 29A back from town and get off at Sarehole Mill. I also used it to go to the Baldwin where I met up with some friends. I never did the complete journey to go to Pheasey. Thinking about it, there were a lot of northern suburbs that I never did visit, such as Great Barr, Perry Barr or Kingstanding. I am a member of the bus museum at Wythall and go there usually once a year. Glad to hear that you are a "bus nut" at 80. It's hobbies and passions that keep us going. Dave.

Thanks Nigel. It looks as if you had a great time travelling on the 29A and I very much liked the photos. I lived in Sarehole Road but my preferred way of getting into Town was on the 32 or 37 from Hall Green Parade. I would sometimes get the 29A back from town and get off at Sarehole Mill. I also used it to go to the Baldwin where I met up with some friends. I never did the complete journey to go to Pheasey. Thinking about it, there were a lot of northern suburbs that I never did visit, such as Great Barr, Perry Barr or Kingstanding. I am a member of the bus museum at Wythall and go there usually once a year. Glad to hear that you are a "bus nut" at 80. It's hobbies and passions that keep us going. Dave.
Good to hear you are a fellow member of the Wythall Museum! I try hard to get there once a year (at least) from my home in North Yorkshire. I have donated quite a few old items to Wythall in the past. Talking about destinations, I began - in 1957 - as a driver with Midland Red and, although based at Digbeth, there was a shared route responsibility with Bearwood for the 201 route. This was from Smethwick to "Worlds End". As a new driver this was something of an 'initiation' with 18 islands before you even got to the the Wolverhampton New Road- a D5 with no power steering . . Back to BCT, I had a "way card" given to me by my friendly conductress (based at Wellhead Lane) and, before I donated it to Wythall I digitised it and attached it to a photo someone else took of an 'HOV PD2' wihich I will attach. RegardsBCT 29a - Route.jpg

Greetings Nigel and Dave, from a warm and sunny South Devon.

I am also a BAMMOT Member, there are a few here that are I believe.

The two pics, the one by Ellbrown in post 33 shows the older style numerals used io BCT destination blinds and that in post 36 from Nigel shows the newer, larger, more distinct, style of numerals.

I did travel the while route from The Baldwin to Pheasey Estate a couple of times but found the northern side of the city less interesting than the southern side. Generally the big city was my goal by the varying routes available i.e. BCT Hall Green routes or B&MMO Stratford Road routes. The of course as a complete change the train to Moor Street was taken. I guess if I had possessed a boat of some description the Stratford Canal might have been another option - but far too slow of course.

Back