• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Acocks Green - The Avenue.

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures is thought to date from the 1900's.

Ian.

Hi Ian
My greatgrandmother lived at Mayfield Villa The Avenue, in the 1880's does any one know if this house still stands. I believe it was a fair sized house as they employed a servant. Her mother entertained guests at dinner parties and as a child her and her sisters would peep through the windows to see the visitors arriving in their carriage.
Annie

There you go annieapple, I was going to go and have a look and Mike beat me to it. Cheers Mike.
Ian.

Hi Mike
On the 1881 census Mayfield Villa not Villas is number 59 this does not correspond with the current number of the house have these changed over the years or am i looking at the wrong one. my mother thought they lived in a larger property. Do you know what used to lie on the grounds of millenium Park at around this time.
Thanks Annie

Annie
I cannot give you a definite answer, as , at that time, the avenue did not come under Birmingham and thus there is no listing of occupants by street in Kellys, only by name and business. This makes it almost impossible to determine changes in numbering. However , in 1888 the Avenue only went up to where Roberts Road joins it, so it is likely that (probably certain), when the street was lengthened, renumbering took place.
mike

I live in The Avenue and the Millenium Gardens are at the back of my house many years ago it had 71 allotment plots on it My father had 3 of those plots I had 2 on there until appprox 15 years ago and I believe that the ground was sold or leased to The yardleys school who intended to make it into a nature reserve.I remember when a brook ran thro the allotments and towards the canal there was a patch of land we called the Bog it had plenty of frogs newts etc in it I as a lad used to collect some frogs spawn and watch it develop Sad to say now but due to the brook being diverted to run into the canal this land has become a virtual rubbish tip and the frogs and newts have all dissappeared

Back