• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Acocks Green Station

RE. Stitcher's photos in posts #11, 12 and 13. Are they 1970s? I notice there's a boy on a BMX bike in #13. BMX bikes were popular in the 70s. Viv.

Radiorails
I bow to your knowledge and would agree with your dating, however the seller on ebay has the card as postally used 1905. Because of the long life of some postcards, it could be a bad and misread 1915 stamp. The colour is certainly reminiscent of pre WW1 Cards. The decisive thing would be to see where it was printed......if Saxony or another German state then it is pre WW1 or more importantly find out who published it.
Bob
I have done some more searching. There is other copies of the coloured postcard on Ebay and this has it's reverse side on show also. The publisher was Harold Bott, Birmingham. The postmark on this one is Dec 22 1906. According to the 1908 Kellys, Harold Bott was a postcard printer located at 14 New Street. However in the 1911 census the only Harold Bott I could find lived at 162 Golden Hillock Road and was a printer/compositor. I have no information on the second picture as yet. Interestingly enough, there are three of the Bott pictures for sale on ebay, but none with the backs shown and for railway station postcards, these of Acocks Green with two exceptions are quite reasonable in price. Perhaps someone on the forum can throw some light on Mr Bott. Incidentally a similar postcard is titled the old Acocks Green Station. When was the station converted to four tracks with an island platform. A final point on all the postcards of the station on ebay, the bulk of the old ones show the same view as these two cards and are quite well animated, with human life on the platform from which the photo was taken almost non existant. The best view and dearest could also feature in the forum when everybody wore a hat.
Radiorails, I suspect that the coaching stock colour was the work of the colourist and being as Mr Bott was in New Street, perhaps she just slipped down to the station to look at the colour of the coaches on the Midland Railway, rather like the blue Midland Red bus shown in another forum picture.

Bob

I have done some more searching. There is other copies of the coloured postcard on Ebay and this has it's reverse side on show also. The publisher was Harold Bott, Birmingham. The postmark on this one is Dec 22 1906. According to the 1908 Kellys, Harold Bott was a postcard printer located at 14 New Street. However in the 1911 census the only Harold Bott I could find lived at 162 Golden Hillock Road and was a printer/compositor. I have no information on the second picture as yet. Interestingly enough, there are three of the Bott pictures for sale on ebay, but none with the backs shown and for railway station postcards, these of Acocks Green with two exceptions are quite reasonable in price. Perhaps someone on the forum can throw some light on Mr Bott. Incidentally a similar postcard is titled the old Acocks Green Station. When was the station converted to four tracks with an island platform. A final point on all the postcards of the station on ebay, the bulk of the old ones show the same view as these two cards and are quite well animated, with human life on the platform from which the photo was taken almost non existant. The best view and dearest could also feature in the forum when everybody wore a hat.
Radiorails, I suspect that the coaching stock colour was the work of the colourist and being as Mr Bott was in New Street, perhaps she just slipped down to the station to look at the colour of the coaches on the Midland Railway, rather like the blue Midland Red bus shown in another forum picture.

Bob
In the 1911 census, the Harold Bott at Golden Hillock Road was a factor in postcards and was born in Dudley
Bob

Thanks Bob, I see the probable obfuscation. A gander at the nearest line, which happened to be the Midland. :eek:
One thing is sure and that is research into the past can be completely misled by false interpretations made in the expediency of commerce. (in short, as Mr. Micawber, could have said, "forget accuracy, just get it printed"). :eek:

Thanks Bob, I see the probable obfuscation. A gander at the nearest line, which happened to be the Midland. :eek:
One thing is sure and that is research into the past can be completely misled by false interpretations made in the expediency of commerce. (in short, as Mr. Micawber, could have said, "forget accuracy, just get it printed"). :eek:
Tell me about it you should try putting postcards into a book for publication and then asking the oldest inhabitants for information about a picture....one picture, five oldest inhabitants...ten answers, cos I'll just alter what I say m'dear us was wrong that was Mrs......., you smile sweetly, say thank you and walk away.
Bob

Thanks Bob. You certainly 'obfuscated' me. I had to resort to Google to see what it meant. I name you the BHF Scrabble champion for 2017
Old Boy
Tell me about it you should try putting postcards into a book for publication and then asking the oldest inhabitants for information about a picture....one picture, five oldest inhabitants...ten answers, cos I'll just alter what I say m'dear us was wrong that was Mrs......., you smile sweetly, say thank you and walk away.
Bob

Thanks Bob. You certainly 'obfuscated' me. I had to resort to Google to see what it meant. I name you the BHF Scrabble champion for 2017
Old Boy
It was Radiorails used it not me, but I like it and am now obfuscating everyone I can. However it shows that that gentleman is literate and erudite (there's tautology for you) and also like our selves from an age when words were used to define what we were saying...know what I mean M8... and we could all put our thoughts into words. Nowadays of course it would be obfusc8. By the way back on theme, I have no further details on the second station picture.
Mike Thanks for the reference to Acocks Green alterations.
I think I'll sign myself Bobfuscate (Thanks for the word Radiorails

There is no publisher for the second postcard and it is not postally used, so it will remain a mystery unless some local postcard collector can recognise it from the way the location is written on it/
Bob

It is interesting that the line still exists, albeit for freight. I understand the new tram system is scheduled to go through Digbeth and Deritend - not sure where after that, but it could eventually use the Camp Hill line for the route spoken about here. That might ease the Cross City route which causes delays to the Cross Country trains which use the present line from Bromsgrove into New Street. Maybe someone closer to the 'action' can keep tracks :Dof all this.

Yes the widening at Acocks Green to Olton was carried out as specified, Henry Lovatt began this widening in 1905 for the GWR. The GWR station building on the road dates from this period. The Olton to Lapworth widening was conducted later. Bordesley Station was moved to the present site with the Lovatt work. The original Bordesley station was north of the Coventry Road over bridge opposite the Trinity Street goods depot.

Rode me bloody bike, past that few times from Yardley, going to visit an aunt in Acocks Green a few times in the 1950s What happened to the cinema that was in Acocks Green past the roundabout?

Oldbrit

It's still there but it's mainly a bowling alley now

(Mod's sorry for the off topic reply).

You can get the 11A or 11C past the station. Currently there is on going roadworks nearby.

Has any one seen the Class 172 (so far only 172 339) in purple? Seen in December 2017 from the new lift bridge.

Back