• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Positive acknowledgement of BHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
Every now and then I get a message that makes the effort all worth while.

Attachments

• letter.jpg
    letter.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 108
I agree Jim it does make it all worthwhile. What a lovely letter and keep trying Chris. It took me ages to learn how to copy and paste but I got there in the end. Jean.

what a lovely letter.I've not long joined the forum myself and the help i've had is amazing.

Lovely letter Chris and glad you enjoy the forum - and persevere with the pics, you will get there in the ned, I did, and I am a real technophobe, despite being one of the more computer literate staff at work!
The appreciation means a lot to everyone, especially those who help with the look ups etc, as Jim and Jean say, makes it all worthwhile.
Sue

A very nice letter Chris, and i look forward to seing your photo's.
If you are not sure of something just ask and i know someone will
help you. You got your letter on ok so that's a start. Good luck
for the future.

Regards Stars

Keep going Chris, a step at a time and you'll get there. Happy Christmas to you too. Viv.

Chris, Glad you like our friendly Forum. Good Luck with the pictures - we are dying to see them, and a Happy Christmas to you.

Anthea.

Chris, as the saying goes "if at first you don't succeed, ask someone who can"!!!! and believe me on this "friendly forum" there are folk who know everything, (and a bit more besides) and what's more they are more than willing to help.
jimbo

Hello everyone. I had no idea my letter was going on to the Forum but I would like to thank you all for your warm comments and I wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy Prosperous New Year!!! and an extra special thankyou to those who helped me. My thanks and best wishes,

Chris

Purchased the new Birmingham Tramways book by Robert Harley yesterday. Was pleasantly surprised to find the following in the Introduction:
Scan.jpg

Bob
I'm definitely not an expert on trams, so not sure how much my opinion is worth, The book is produced to a very high standard in terms of reproduction, though this means it is expensive (the most expensive of all the 40 odd tram books the author has produced (this from Waterstones webpage)). I have not fully read it but my comments are as follows. The book is very readable, probably even to those with no interest in trams. It does contain a lot of information, some of it reproduction of articles from other publications. There are two very nice coloured maps of the system, very well reproduced. Unfortunately they are double page, and to fully view the areas down the centre it would probably risk breaking the spine of the book!
On the whole I do not think the book adds anything that was not already available, but brings it all together in a very readable manner, which, as far as I (a non-expert) am aware , has not been done before. If you can afford £40 (and no reduction at Amazon where you also have postage) and want a pleasant read on the subject then this will provide it. But the cost is expensive for the average reader. Value for money - books this size produced (in terms of paper, printing etc) to this standard will cost this much - and it depends if you think it is worth it
hope that opinion ios some use

Bob
I'm definitely not an expert on trams, so not sure how much my opinion is worth, The book is produced to a very high standard in terms of reproduction, though this means it is expensive (the most expensive of all the 40 odd tram books the author has produced (this from Waterstones webpage)). I have not fully read it but my comments are as follows. The book is very readable, probably even to those with no interest in trams. It does contain a lot of information, some of it reproduction of articles from other publications. There are two very nice coloured maps of the system, very well reproduced. Unfortunately they are double page, and to fully view the areas down the centre it would probably risk breaking the spine of the book!
On the whole I do not think the book adds anything that was not already available, but brings it all together in a very readable manner, which, as far as I (a non-expert) am aware , has not been done before. If you can afford £40 (and no reduction at Amazon where you also have postage) and want a pleasant read on the subject then this will provide it. But the cost is expensive for the average reader. Value for money - books this size produced (in terms of paper, printing etc) to this standard will cost this much - and it depends if you think it is worth it
hope that opinion ios some use
Mike
Very many thanks, noticed it was not reduced on Amazon and postage has to be added, special order to get it in my neck of the woods, so I think I might delay purchase until it starts to appear on ebay as well, at that point Amazon prices drop. But you have said enough to make me want it. In the same sort of area was Malcolm Keeley's last book about the buses. beautifully presented etc but expensive, however worth adding to the library
Bob

Last week end we were having a family get together for my brother's birthday and the inevitable reminiscing occurred. Noticed my youngest brother pick up his I-pad to check a point. The google search led him to BHF and a post by "Devonjim". So must be right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back