• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

George Lempriere Handsworth

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Links to the first few posts of this thread no longer work, so I have endeavoured to summarise the gentleman's career. Some information is available online from the library, but have included it here in case it also disappears.

George Phillip LempriereA.jpg

George Philip Lempriére remains one of Handsworth's most colourful characters from the past. Born in 1855 in London he arrived in Handsworth as a young man to study his first love of Aeronautics. Lempriere's displays and exhibitions were a major crowd pleasing attraction wherever he went. He stood for MP in Birmingham unsuccessfully despite his unique campaign style - leafleting the public from his hot air balloons!

Lempriére was born on the 26 February 1854. At a very young age Lempriére watched birds and thought how pleasant it would be to fly, and, upon observing some pigeons in a neighbour's garden, made his first attempt at flight. With the aid of a friend and an Inverness cape, he leapt from the railings outside his father's house. This first attempt at aerial navigation resulted in a broken arm.

At the age of 20 Lempriére made his first real balloon ascent with a professional. He read all the literature available to him, and began building balloons of his own. Throughout his professional career as a balloonist and aeronaut, he performed and exhibited at a wide variety of events including public, private, and scientific engagements at fetes, galas, shows, and lectures. He was undoubtedly an excellent publicist, as this handbill below (for which he presumably received good payment) would show.

priory tea advert.jpg

He had a number of female "aeronauts" to travel with him . One, Kitty Kellys, is pictured below with him

Lempriere and one of his aeronaut's Kitty Kelly.jpg

At the time of his main exploits, and up till just before WW1, he lived at 169 Hunters Road (marked on map below), which is no longer there, but on his death lived at 18 Wilton Road.

map 1880s showing 169 Hunters Road.jpg

As well as speeches and lectures regarding his ballooning and aeronautic advances and experiences, Lempriére made political speeches, and in 1897 made a bid to become the councillor for Soho ward. He was unsuccessful. Political material is also available to view in the collection.

In 1909, he in conjunction with Sir Francis Pepper and Mr Herbert Pepper founded the Midland Aero Club. 'The chief reason for the formation of the Midland Aero Club was to stimulate public interest in the problems of dynamic flight'.

Lempriére died on the 20 February 1949, aged 94 years, and was interred at the family grave in Handsworth New Cemetery.

Last edited:
Very interesting, Mike! I'm surprised some modern political hopeful hasn't copied Lemprière's technique (though it would surely contravene the litter laws ;)).

Lieutenant George Philip Lemprière (1855-1949) was a very interesting Handsworthian. Here is a page on him from the Birmingham City Council website (it includes a wonderful downloadable 1898 account of one of his balloon flights from Handsworth, which came down in Lower Gornal). And the Digital Handsworth website has a wealth of Lemprière images. One of his "parachute queens" (probably Kitty King) is pictured below in 1900 (it looks like she's wearing a recycled parachute! :D)

Last edited:
Wy back in probably the 1970's, I attended a burglary at his mothers house in Wilton Road, Handsworth. On examining the scene I went to a large shed in the garden. There spread all over, was the remains of his ballooning equipment. There must have been about a ton of metal rods and other equipment. I wonder what ever happened to it. I didn't know who he was at that time but found out later. I spoke with the researchers from the Council about it. Regards, George.

Lemprière's "Parachute Queens"

2010-06-25 15:52:14

The "art" of ballooning, though a popular spectator sport, was very dangerous indeed, as the following mini-biographies of three of Lemprière's "parachute queens" indicate:

Maude Brookes (born Liverpool c 1870; married name Maude Morgan) was a student and protégé of her manager Lemprière. She made eighteen balloon ascents in 1891-1903. In 1891 she almost drowned in a water landing. A flight from Dublin on 25 May 1893 launched successfully and her parachute opened normally, but it collapsed some fifty feet from the ground. A flight from Derby on 7 July 1901 launched successfully, but her parachute failed to release. She climbed back up to the trapeze and stayed with the balloon until it descended near Stonesby. Dressed in her "tights" costume, Maude was dragged through bushes and suffered severe lacerations. Passing cyclists loaned her some clothing. Maud Brookes's younger sister Edith Brookes was killed at the age of 23 in a flight from Sheffield on 20 March 1902, when her parachute failed to open.

Kitty King
(born Edmonds (?) 1872) was Lemprière's parachutist partner (see post #3). During a flight from Glasgow on 16 June 1895, her parachute came loose from the balloon and fell below her. She had to jump from her seat to avoid entanglement.

Ada Mansfield
is believed to have been the daughter of balloonist Charles Blachford Mansfield (1850-10 December 1891), who was killed during a flight from Bombay when his balloon burst and his parachute failed to open. She was a protégé of Lemprière, Auguste Eugène Gaudron (1868-13 November 1913) and Maude Brookes. Ada suffered a sprained ankle after a parachute jump on 1 June 1903. After a flight on 20 August 1904, she had to be rescued from the sea.

[Sources: Who's Who of Ballooning website by US balloonist and expert Robert Joseph Recks (born 31 August 1935; also known as Rechs or Rex); Taranaki Herald
(26 July 1902) accessed from New Zealand National Library "Papers Past" website.]

[I wonder of Lemprière felt any qualms about exposing young women to such dangers :rolleyes:. Further information about the "parachute queens" of this era would be very welcome. Other names on record are: Cissie Kent, Nellie Neill and Viola Spencer.]

George, I was fascinated by your story. I hope some of that equipment was saved from oblivion.

Cissie Kent's Experience.

2010-06-25 16:39:20
[From The Argus (Melbourne) 27 February 1904 (National Library of Australia "Australian Newspapers" website)].

A Parachutist's Peril.

A perilous experience which Miss Cissie Kent, the parachutist, once went through at Wakefield, in England, is described in the "Royal Magazine". She ascended through the air, sitting on a trapeze attached to a balloon. When she dropped off the trapeze and seized the parachute cord, the pull on the cord ought to have detached the parachute, which, opening like an umbrella, would then have enabled her to make a slow descent. But the parachute remained fixed to the balloon, which became tilted, and continued to ascend. Miss Kent, who held the ring of the parachute with her right hand only, was carried upwards. Experience had taught her the value of remaining cool under the most trying circumstances. She began to think matters out. Should she simply hang on and wait, in the hope that the parachute would free itself? Would it be better to climb up the side of the balloon, and disentangle the netting, which she felt sure had somehow gripped the parachute? As she looked down she saw nothing but a vast sea of clouds. Suddenly she heard a ripping sound. The parachute had detached itself, and she was going down. Presently she heard a faint yell from below. She had passed through the clouds, and was visible to the crowd, whose excitement had reached a tremendous pitch. "Looking about me," says Miss Kent, "I found myself dropping right down into the centre of town; there was one very prominent object upon which I fixed my eyes, and upon which all my thoughts were concentrated – the spire of All Saints' Church, 247 ft high, and I was dropping directly toward it. In anticipation I saw myself impaled on the iron point of the spire. I closed my eyes. I felt myself brushing past something hard. Then I looked. I had grazed the stonework. A few seconds later I was dashed against a factory chimney. In a moment more I found myself sprawling on top of a stack of timber, 50 or 60 ft high. All around me were piles of wood. In fact, I had alighted in a timber yard. I sat on the stack of timber until rescuers came. I was bruised all over, but very thankful that things were no worse."

Viola Spencer.

"Viola Spencer" was the "parachute name" of pioneer aviatrix Elizabeth Maud Cook (1 September 1878 - 14 July 1910), who died as a result of injuries sustained in a parachute accident at Coventry on 9 July 1910. Here is another website about her (with a picture). Neither website refers to Lemprière.

[I think I'll leave it there: it's becoming something of a litany of wasted young lives. :cry:]

All's Well That End Well 1908.

2010-06-25 19:13:03
[OK, I can't resist the temptation to post one more account of the perils of parachuting ;). From The Advertiser (Adelaide) 15 September 1908 (accessed via the National Library of Australia "Australian Newspapers" website). I wonder if Lempri
ère was her manager on this occasion.]

LADY BALLOONIST'S MIDNIGHT PERIL. LONELY CLOUD JOURNEY.

Miss Viola Spencer, a young and pretty parachutist, has had a thrilling midnight journey through the clouds (writes our London correspondent under date August 14). She had been engaged to descend from a balloon in a parachute at some sports, which were held near Ilkeston. Unfortunately her balloon was damaged while being filled. Anxious not to disappoint the spectators, Miss Spencer and her manager at once telegraphed to London for another balloon. This necessitated considerable delay, and the new balloon was not ready for an ascent until nearly 9 o'clock. Miss Spencer felt somewhat uneasy at going up so late, but anxious not to break her engagement, did so. Attired only in the customary tights, she took her place on the narrow bar under the balloon, to which the parachute was attached, and began her ascent. Miss Spencer says that when at 3,000 ft she tried to release the parachute it failed, in spite of all her efforts. The balloon shot up with astounding velocity until her barometer registered 20,000 ft. The cold was intense. She began to sing, but was frightened at the sound of her own voice. Her hands became numbed, and she beat them against the ring of the parachute.

The night was bitterly cold, a strong wind was blowing, and the young woman in her scanty clothing was soon so benumbed that it was with difficulty that she retained her hold of the bar.

"It was so cold," she told a pressman, "that I had to bite my hands continually to keep up the circulation."

The darkness, too, added to the terrors of her situation, as she was swiftly swept by the wind away from the lights of the towns beneath, in ignorance of the direction in which the was being taken. At last the gas in the balloon became nearly exhausted, and on its approaching within three or four yards of the ground Miss Spencer made a jump for safety, fortunately alighting without injury. The balloon immediately rose again and disappeared, but was found later in the day. It was then the early hours of August 12, and the young lady found she had reached the little village of Rasen, near Leicester, 30 miles from her starting-place. Her predicament, clad only in tights, suddenly arriving in an unknown village at that hour, was an awkward one; but Miss Spencer, though stiff and numb with cold, managed to walk to an adjoining house, and knock up the residents. She was most kindly received by the villagers, who provided her with food and clothing, and, after a rest, was able to take train for Ilkeston, where she arrived later on Wednesday, looking none the worse for her adventure.

The links to the first post were lost, so i have expanded the the first post . In addition, below are two photographs taken from a balloon by Lemfriere, one of crowds at Dudley Castle, and the other of an unknown area. The unknown photo may be anyware, but could it be Brum? Does it look familiar?

View from Lempriere's balloon of crowds at Dudley castle.jpgView from Mempriere's balloon of unknown location.jpg

Links to the first few posts of this thread no longer work, so I have endeavoured to summarise the gentleman's career. Some information is available online from the library, but have included it here in case it also disappears.

View attachment 153572

George Philip Lempriére remains one of Handsworth's most colourful characters from the past. Born in 1855 in London he arrived in Handsworth as a young man to study his first love of Aeronautics. Lempriere's displays and exhibitions were a major crowd pleasing attraction wherever he went. He stood for MP in Birmingham unsuccessfully despite his unique campaign style - leafleting the public from his hot air balloons!

Lempriére was born on the 26 February 1854. At a very young age Lempriére watched birds and thought how pleasant it would be to fly, and, upon observing some pigeons in a neighbour's garden, made his first attempt at flight. With the aid of a friend and an Inverness cape, he leapt from the railings outside his father's house. This first attempt at aerial navigation resulted in a broken arm.

At the age of 20 Lempriére made his first real balloon ascent with a professional. He read all the literature available to him, and began building balloons of his own. Throughout his professional career as a balloonist and aeronaut, he performed and exhibited at a wide variety of events including public, private, and scientific engagements at fetes, galas, shows, and lectures. He was undoubtedly an excellent publicist, as this handbill below (for which he presumably received good payment) would show.

View attachment 153574

He had a number of female "aeronauts" to travel with him . One, Kitty Kellys, is pictured below with him

View attachment 153573

At the time of his main exploits, and up till just before WW1, he lived at 169 Hunters Road (marked on map below), which is no longer there, but on his death lived at 18 Wilton Road.

View attachment 153576

As well as speeches and lectures regarding his ballooning and aeronautic advances and experiences, Lempriére made political speeches, and in 1897 made a bid to become the councillor for Soho ward. He was unsuccessful. Political material is also available to view in the collection.

In 1909, he in conjunction with Sir Francis Pepper and Mr Herbert Pepper founded the Midland Aero Club. 'The chief reason for the formation of the Midland Aero Club was to stimulate public interest in the problems of dynamic flight'.

Lempriére died on the 20 February 1949, aged 94 years, and was interred at the family grave in Handsworth New Cemetery.
hi mike just noticed this interesting thread which is quite old..your info says he lived at no 169 hunteres road which is the bonner memorial school which is still there but your map has got no 179 marked out..just wondered if you marked out the wrong number on the map or did he lived at the memorial school..st view below..thanks mike

I should have put an older map on, and have now replaced the 1950s map with one from the 1880s. He did live at 169, but, probably soon after his death, but between the 1910 and 1912 Kellys, the house disappeared, and was replaced, together with land around it, by the school.

I should have put an older map on, and have now replaced the 1950s map with one from the 1880s. He did live at 169, but, probably soon after his death, but between the 1910 and 1912 Kellys, the house disappeared, and was replaced, together with land around it, by the school.
thanks mike but its still odd to me as 169 is still there as the bonnar memorial school..but looking at your revised map i now wonder if the building you have marked out was attached to the school but has now gone... st view below

lyn

That is possible. All I know is that in 1908 the house is listed as being the abode of Lampriere, then in 1910 there is only :
169 (back of) Lempriere Geo; Philip, aeronaut, with no mention of the front house. Then in 1912 no 167 is lsited, but then there is just the school

That is possible. All I know is that in 1908 the house is listed as being the abode of Lampriere, then in 1910 there is only :
169 (back of) Lempriere Geo; Philip, aeronaut, with no mention of the front house. Then in 1912 no 167 is lsited, but then there is just the school
cheers mike...interesting man by the sounds of it..

lyn

Back