• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aberdeen Street Winson Green

hi susie..did you have front gardens and what years did you live at no 24..and could you confirm that the house numbers went up in ones not twos..

lyn

Last edited:
lyn
the houses with the long gardens was over the road from the big opening were i lived and they was in the front
a mrs owen lived in one of them the garages was next to them if i remember right

thanks josie...i need to know if sues house at no 24 had a front garden or is the large garden she mentions at the back...think i may have a photo of her house..

lyn

No problem Lyn
If my memory is right I think there was 4 or 5 houses
With the long gardens in the front
The only ones in the street josie

Hi lyn, yes we had a long front garden.....i cant remember how the houses were numbered.......... there were 4 houses each side of the entry that we all had to use to get to the back gardens..... dad always had a hugh lorry outside the front of our house.. i used to do shopping for a lady called mrs nash.

hi sue...in that case i will post you these 2 photos...pic 1 is dated 1972 and the caption says they are numbers 18 to 23 indicating the numbering went up in ones...

Attachments

• Aberdeen Street No 18-23 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    Aberdeen Street No 18-23 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Oh that takes me back, i can only see the first picture second one not showing. Thanks for that...... were do you get the picture from? Do you have more? Our house number 24 is only just visable.. love this site... so much information from members.

sorry for the delay with photo 2 sue the forum stopped working for me...

your house must be on this one if so which one is it...dated 1973 and the caption says numbers 23 to 28 ..if you click on 3 times to enlarge i can see a lady in the far right garden

lyn

Attachments

• Aberdeen Street No 23-28 Winson Green - 27-6-1973.jpg
    Aberdeen Street No 23-28 Winson Green - 27-6-1973.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Wow, thankyou so much.. i can now show my children ang grandchildren. Regards Sue

Last edited by a moderator:
its a pleasure sue...birmingham of old has for me almost been destroyed now and we have more and more great buildings being demolished every year so the power of the photograph is very important..i have spent over 8 years now collectiing old photos of the streets of brum from various contacts in the hopes that some of them i have posted will mean something to someone so finding your old house has made my day..i do have about another 36 of aberdeen st...when i have time i will try and post a couple more...please enjoy the forum there is plenty to look at on here..

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
few more of aberdeen st the numbers will be on the photos

Attachments

• Aberdeen Street No 38-45 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    Aberdeen Street No 38-45 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Aberdeen Street No 13-17 Winson Green -27-6-1972.jpg
    Aberdeen Street No 13-17 Winson Green -27-6-1972.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Aberdeen Street No 141 - 147 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    Aberdeen Street No 141 - 147 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Aberdeen Street No 5 rear No 29 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    Aberdeen Street No 5 rear No 29 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 57
few more

Attachments

• Aberdeen Street No 6-9 rear No 42 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    Aberdeen Street No 6-9 rear No 42 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Aberdeen Street No 7 rear No 31 Winson Green - 5-7-1972.jpg
    Aberdeen Street No 7 rear No 31 Winson Green - 5-7-1972.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Aberdeen Street No 45-54 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    Aberdeen Street No 45-54 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Aberdeen Street No 55-62 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    Aberdeen Street No 55-62 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 57
  • Aberdeen Street No 78-85 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    Aberdeen Street No 78-85 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 59
thank you lyn they are brilliant photo
hope you dont mind me printing them off to send to my sister
josie

Hi, I am also new to the site. I am Edward Holmes, (now known as Eddie), born in 1962 to Sarah Holmes. We moved to one of the back to back houses at 3/46 Aberdeen st around 1967 and left in 1971, it was a great house, me and my siblings slept in the attic. The house had a kitchen, living room, coal cellar, main bedroom and attic. There was no bathroom or indoor toilet, we bathed in a tin bath in front of the fire once a week and the toilet was the cold damp out house in the garden next to the kitchen, with torn up news paper for toilet paper hanging on a rusty nail. There was myself, my Mother Sarah and my half brother and Sister Jack and Margaret and we lived next door to a lovely lady called Dolly Russell who I used to spend time with and run errands for.
My mother met and married our stepfather, a guy from County Wicklow in Southern Ireland, he was called Patrick Kavanagh, (Known as Pat) and they went on to have three more children.
I went to Barford Rd School, I remember Angela Jones and one of my friends was called Nick, his family owned the chippy just down from the Police Station on Dudley Rd.
I used to play in the big yard half way down Aberdeen St, on the right as you look towards Winson Green and my Mom was friends with people there but I can't remember any names.
I used to play with some West Indian children, I think the lad may have been Joseph but sadly can't remember, he had twin sisters too and they lived in one of the houses at the front of us on Aberdeen St opposite the Queens Head Pub. I used to help the Milkman but again his name escapes me.
I am happy for anyone who remembers me or my family to get in contact via the private message system (inbox top right of the page) They were happy days and now I look back, I think they were some of my happiest as a child even though we were poor and living hand to mouth.

I have since met a lady who lived in Aberdeen St around the same time (Marie Scott) who reminded me that I was locally known as Gypsy Kavanagh due to my Irish step father. She only realised it was me when I showed her a picture of me around that time; she looked at the picture and said oh my god you're Gypsy Kavanagh, she never knew before that, that I had been known as Kavanagh as a child.

Last edited:
lovely memories eddie and welcome to the forum...totally agree with you...i am the eldest of 6 and yes hard times for our parents but i would not swap my childhood for all the tea in china:D you have probably seen the photo of aberdeen st i posted but i do have some more so i will take a look to see if i have any no 46 or the back of it..will post if i have

lyn

Lyn, your pictures are bringing back so many memories that were lost in time, (or is that age in my case? Lol). You are Brilliant, Thank you so much!!!
Oh and I agree, I wouldn't swap my childhood either. Our parents were proud people who did what they had to, to get by. I loved working with the milkman as a young boy, giving my small wage to my Mom to help pay for whatever she needed. It may seem strange to some but I remember fondly the brown bit in the dripping when we spread it on the partially stale bread after having a Sunday lunch. Bread and dripping was a meal as was bread and jam and sometimes just bread and butter. Going to Jones's and getting things on the strap or in the book as we called it in those days, as you all well know.
I remember making go carts out of scrap wood and some old pram wheels and playing down on the canal and the old bomb peck. You've got me started now I might put it all down on paper, as you said pictures are all the memories we have now because they have destroyed the physical that we knew and loved and pictures and words are all that can keep it alive.
As children we had very little, but did we, I ask? Look at children today, a lot of them don't go out and play in the fresh air with other children, they don't make things out of what's just lying around as we did with go karts and if they meet other children, a lot of them have no social skills because they spend their time on electronics, staring at a screen talking to their virtual friends. I worry what the world is coming to and what we as humans are doing to our once Beautiful world. Everyone in the street used to know and help each other, now we're lucky if someone 6 doors away say's hello.

Last edited:
hi eddie i have always set great store in old photos...they bring back memories for us and in many cases we remember things we had long forgotten....its not really that common to find photos of the back houses but in the case of aberdeen st i do have a few and providing the numbering on them is correct the gods are shining down on you because here is (hopefully she says) one showings numbers 1 to 4 back of 46 so your house is showing...the date on it is 27th june 1972..not sure which way the numbering is going but hopefully you can confirm the photo is good...totally agree with all you have said in your last post..been saying it for years now..

lyn

Aberdeen Street No 1-4 rear No 46 Winson Green - 27-6-1972.jpg

Last edited:
Lyn, thanks for the pic that's Brilliant. Mike is right they were 1 - 4 from right to left, so ours was third from right.
We left around the end of 1971 to the beginning of 1972, so I think it's safe to say that no one moved in after us.
It's changed the way I think, I take loads of photographs of my surroundings now. I do miss that place so much and the people that we all grew up with.
Mike, you are correct, 1 - 4 right to left, Oh and thanks for the map. Dolly Russell lived next to us at number 4, she later moved to Blackford St, (Possibly number 2 or there about).

Back