• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ABC Minors !!

Hi everyone. I was born in Harborne and used to attend the Saturday morning pictures at The Picture House, Serpentine Road. We knew it as the Old Harborne and I loved the sing song that always commenced the show. 'Hands, knees, and bumps-a-daisy' and 'Underneath the spreading Chestnut tree' we sang with gusto. Then it was the club song (We come along on Saturday morning) and Flash Gordon or Nyoka, the Jungle girl with the usual cartoon. The big posh cinema down the road (the Royalty) was obviously jealous of the Old Harborne's success so they started the ABC Minors and took their audience. Perhaps it was the badges and the cards or simply being in a posh cinema...who knows? I particularly remember a 3D film called Metroscopix when a ladder seemed to come out of the screen. And who could ever forget the disinfectant smell (was it Jeyes fluid?) that hit you on entry. They were happy days. Something my own kids never experienced as the Saturday picture club had disappeared into history by the time they were born!!

Back